main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.05 - Chapter 13 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 26, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 4, 2020.
  1. 10

50.9%
  2. 9

28.3%
  3. 8

8.2%
  4. 7

6.3%
  5. 6

3.1%
  6. 5

1.9%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0.6%
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t mind there being Jedi around post OT there are more interesting stories to tell with that then having Luke be the only one

Sproj and godisawesome like this.
  2. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    It isn't a plot hole just because you think it is. There are several possibilities. I'll start with the fact that The Client's ramshackle forces clearly weren't exactly the same group of Imperials as Gideon's. Yes, the research facility is on the same planet, but The Client's troops are ill-equipped, have beat up equipment, etc., while Gideon's troops have pristine equipment and materials. I suspect they are two different groups, loosely aligned. The fact that Gideon didn't mind the collateral damage to The Client's troops shows that to an extent. I doubt he wanted to displease Gideon, so testing Grogu right away makes sense in that context, and that he said they could no longer guarantee safety, as previously pointed out.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  3. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    At the time of Rogue One, one of those three Jedi is dead, and the other two are in no position to aid the Rebellion.

Sproj likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    He seemed to be the main point of contact between the ex-Imperials and the Greef-run bounty hunter guild. Maybe the Client had an underworld past, and so was better able to gain trust with bounty hunters than Gideon? So Gideon taps the Client to help track down Grogu, the Client succeeds via Mando, then things go south, and Gideon steps in. Lots of possible reasons.

BTW, the explanation I like the best (just because it sound so absurd) about why Grogu wasn't immediately sent to the big lab was because they were waiting for the lava tide to recede...

Kole, Fin McCool and DarthFixxxer like this.
  5. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    But that is irrelevant. The mere fact that they were part of the Rebellion gives off the impression of Jedi being commonplace. Now you add in Luke, who becomes a Jedi, and it adds to the idea that Jedi all over the place.

6. Darth Trevius

Darth Trevius Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    eye think the bad guys knew baby yoda was gonna go ape**** and destroy the lab with his force powers so they figured better just get the blood fast rather than let one of those in the lab

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    There are streaks of greatness. Season 2 episode 3 and 5. the latter episodes in Season 1. I agree though that this show could be even better. i worry theyve gotten far too comfortable with repeating the Clone Wars, Rebels dynamic. The thing with those shows is that you had a solid amount of episodes per season and thus could utilize multi-episode arcs. This made the actually story feel less episodic at times throughout the seasons. They havent really been able to do that here because of how few episodes we get. Thus, the padding of the monster of the week or info source of the week sticks out more. it's almost always enjoyable, but I think it could definitely get better. which is a good thing and its nice that that potential exists.
    Leia as the "other" in the ST was a gigantic flop IMO. so if they are adhering to Disney canon, I don't mind if they make Grogu that "other". but if they are smart and are ignoring as much of the ST story as they can, I'd agree Leia should be that "other". but they botched it in Disney Canon.

fett 4 likes this.
  8. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    What people is missing here is the fact that the big lab was a secret. Grief Carga believed there were no more imperials after Gideon "got defeated" in first season's episode finale.
    It seems the entire operation was "new", that started after Mando flew away with Grogu.
    Also mind this: we never see Phershing at the lab, only his hologram. So we all should assume collected material in some place and send to the lab where it would used in clones. Two diferent operations( collecting the DNA and inserting it in someone) that clearly didn't need to be in the same place.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. But the broader point is that you can't claim something is a plot hole if there are hundreds of very logical explanations for what happened, both ones given to us directly in the show itself, and speculative ones that can't be contradicted.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, a problem with trying to maintain an almost non-existent amount of Jedi, even in the media that can afford to focus in on them while still pointing out they're basically extinct everywhere else is that, well, it's a boring state of affairs, and arguably a crippling one if you don't deliver on the character you think should have a monopoly on being a Jedi. If Luke's story had a happy enough and exciting enough end, and was connected to the new Jedi Order, than I think giving him a monopoly on the Jedi would be acceptable and understandable.

But when you've decided to end his story in a depressing, deflating, and disappointing way while implicitly insisting he maintain such a low and unobtrusive profile that he can't have many great and rewarding adventures between film appearances... well, then you're just wasting the concept of Jedi on low-yield drama.

I want Jedi action and adventure, and there's absolutely nothing truthfully devaluing to seeing a few having the kind of adventures and stories that Luke kind of can't have now. and you could increase surviving and active Jedi by a dozen or so, and still render them small enough in number to leave the bulk of work for the non-Jedi characters.

I get the fear of devaluing and diluting the "specialness" of the Jedi by increasing their number... but if you won't let the main Jedi be special anyways, well, that's a failure on the franchise easily rectified by giving the audience alternative paths forward.

If they wanted Luke to have all the uniqueness and specialness of being the lone Jedi, they should have actually made him fun to watch after ROTJ.
    One of the Client's other possible failure sis how callously he risked someone killing Grogu - not that Gideon cares about Grogu's life, mind you, but that he might have accidentally destroyed the "asset" by allowing the hunters to try bringing it in dead.

I mean, it's not like there'd be a whole lot of Grogu left if he caught a full-size blaster bolt to the face...

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    We can take this even further:

Kanan Jarrus - Dead
    Ezra Bridger - Unknown whereabouts, possibly dead (we know he's not but Mon Mothma does not)
    Ahsoka Tano - Citizen, not a Jedi :p

LedReader, Sproj and TadoFett like this.
  12. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    She might not officially be a Jedi, but she is powerful enough to take on Darth Vader and Darth Maul, helped create the Rebellion in large part, was around when Rogue One took place and seems perfectly willing to throw her life into a fight against an Imperial like Thrawn after the movies were over. What made Obi-Wan the only hope?

13. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Everyone though she was killed by Order 66.

Sproj likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Alright we're long past the point where people are actually discussing this episode, so we're just gonna put this thread on ice until the new episode airs and we can once again forget about the myriad debates ongoing here that have been seriously done to death for decades.

15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Now that voting closed, I gotta say that I am actually NOT surprised that 50% of the users gave this episode a perfect 10.

It was truly a magnificent episode, and I watched it last night again, back to back with Chapter 14.

It shall forever be known as "The Ahsoka episode" and I am so happy that it was so glorious.

Filoni did her justice by introducing her like that in live action.

16. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    This. Best episode of the entire series, no question. I watched it right before Chapter 14 aired last Thursday. It was great. And while Episode 14 is fantastic also......the world building and direction of the episode is no where near the quality of 13.

Great stuff though, all this. Ahoska was perfect. Fett was great.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    rumblewagon and DarthFixxxer like this.
  17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Finally getting around to watching this episode. My thoughts as I watch:

-Oh, wow, with Ahsoka wielding those two lightsabers. What an introduction to her live action self.

-"They already suffer under your rule." Great, unflinching Ahsoka in the face of the hostage situation. Again, this series is not messing around.

-Baby Yoda just ignores whatever Mando tells him and does whatever he wants[face_laugh]

-Mando being hired to kill the Jedi (Ahsoka). The plot thickens.

-Like the bushes of the garden. The beauty and peace of it contrasts with the bleak, oppressed atmosphere of the settlement itself.

-All those burned trees. So sad. Such environmental destruction.

-Really is like each world we visit in the show is unique. I appreciate that.

-Mando and Ahsoka meet. Dramatic.

-Aww. Baby Yoda so cute sitting on the rock.

-Great to see Baby Yoda and Ahsoka interacting, and I like the visual effect of the lantern light.

-Grogu. Baby Yoda has a name.

-Grogu was raised at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant and trained by many masters. What a bombshell.

-And apparently he was hidden and taken from the Temple by someone. Definitely a story there.

-Great conversation between Mando and Ahsoka. Every word carries so much meaning.

-Like the green moss. Seems to represent life and contrast with much of the blackness seen earlier.

-Grogu refusing to return the stone seems to carry some significance to it. Like selfishness, and I like that Ahsoka is adamant that he does understand. Grogu did seem to understand Mando's instructions about not eating the eggs earlier and decide to disobey. Maybe crafty Grogu understands more than he lets on[face_thinking]

-Ahsoka senses much fear in Grogu. Just like young Anakin in TPM had much fear in him.

-Grogu has hidden his Force abilities to survive. Makes a lot of sense.

-Mando saying listening to him would be a first for Grogu[face_laugh]I'm sure that's how most parents feel...

-I understand why Ahsoka chose not to train Grogu given her history with Anakin.

-"A Mandalorian and a Jedi? They'll never see it coming." Love Mando and Ahsoka teaming up. This is going to be good.

-Love to see Ahsoka using the Force. Great stuff.

-"Execute them. Then go door to door." Ruthless and intense.

-The duel in the garden with the rippling water and whistling wind is excellent. Really love the cinematography of this show and all the settings we get to see.

-"Where is your master? Where is Grand Admiral Thrawn?" Another bombshell.

-"This belongs with a Mandalorian." Love Ahsoka giving the beskar weapon back to Mando.

-Nice celebration in the streets with some cultural music. Adds to the world building.

-Aww, Grogu asleep in the hammock. Precious.

-Ahsoka sending Mando to the old Jedi Temple on Tython. Like that sort of reconnecting to the Jedi past.

-Grogu going to stay with Mando for now.

Overall thoughts on the episode: With the last three episodes, it's really seemed to me like each one was better than the last. I loved the fact that we learned more about Grogu's past, getting a name and history for him. Ahsoka's appearance was awesome. I enjoyed seeing her fight and found her conversations with Mando meaningful. I also thought that the test she subjected Grogu too was interesting and her final advice to go to the Jedi Temple on Tython opens up promising story possibilities and avenues.

Episode rating out of 10: I have to go with another 10 out of 10 rating for this one.

Have to stop watching episodes and get some shut-eye now, but hopefully I'll be able to watch the next episode soon. I've gotten hooked.

18. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    I can never watch and analyze this episode enough.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Art work for Ahsoka for this episode.

20. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    The good old days when we all voted a SW episode really high...