main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.08 - Chapter 16 (Season Finale!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 17, 2020.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Jan 1, 2021.
  1. 10

65.2%
  2. 9

18.9%
  3. 8

9.0%
  4. 7

2.6%
  5. 6

2.1%
  6. 5

0.9%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No, I’m in the south. It drops here at 2am. I’m just incredibly impatient and can’t wait to watch it so I always stay up. :p

Boba Fett. likes this.
  2. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    So here we go...final steps about to be taken to close out season 2. I look for mostly a action packed episode that goes around an hour. We will get Grogu back for sure, however Moff Gideon will unleash some fury and I expect another loss (other than the Razorcrest) & Jeremy Bulloch RIP the original Mandalorian!
    Look forward to hearing what you all think tomorrow morning. I'll drop off my kid at school (his last day for a month!) So I'm gonna enjoy the time alone with breakfast and watch Episode 16!!!

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    You don't introduce the Jedi gun and not fire it. So I think we'll see one later today (it's already Friday here in Italy). I'm betting on Luke, but we'll know soon enough!

Finales of shows I love always inspire such mixed emotions in me when they near. Excitement and hype, sadness that it's ending, and fear that it'll disappoint (as landings are always harder than takeoffs).

4. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    Final crazy, definitely wrong prediction:

The Jedi is Windu. He barely survived and went crazy like Maul did before Savage and Talzin snapped him out of it. Grogu connecting with Mace through the force is what “woke him up”. He and Boba subsequently spin off into their own “event” show, where they grudgingly team up and bicker at each other the entire time. I have spoken.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  5. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Haha, nice! I would do the same!

6. Cosmicrust

Cosmicrust Jedi Padawan

Dec 17, 2020
    Windu? Pah! The REAL twist will be when Grogu is snatched by .......

VADER ON A BIKE! :vader::redsaber::eek:

[​IMG]

"I HAVE YOU NOW!"

7. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    It has always stuck at the back of my mind of Hamill mentioning at some time in the past that he just worked on something very exciting - and at that time, if memory serves me correctly, it felt like he was referring to something "Star Wars".

If my memory is correct and it was Star Wars, I hope its this Chapter.

Wouldn't that just bring the house down!

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Oh well, no Internet for me again till Friday night.

TadoFett likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Unfortunately that turned out to have nothing to do with Star Wars. He was hinting at his appearance on What We Do in the Shadows (which btw is an amazing show and Hamill is perfect in it.)

10. Cosmicrust

Cosmicrust Jedi Padawan

Dec 17, 2020
    As is Jackie. Jackie Daytona! ;)

TadoFett and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  11. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    As he is one of my least favorite characters in the SW universe, I would prefer he doesn't show up. But that's just me.

12. Teo9969

Teo9969 Jedi Padawan

Nov 27, 2020
    I'm thinking of skipping the "Previously on" part to start the episode. They've done a really poor job of giving too much away about certain episodes when they show what happened previously. If Bo-Katan is going to show up this episode, I don't know want to know it before it even starts.

ON EDIT: Or worse, Ahsoka.

ON EDIT 2: I also think there's a chance that Grogu isn't even on the ship and that's the reason their rescue effort falls flat to end the season - but maybe the Jedi comes in at the end and is able to "find" his location through The Force.

TadoFett and my kind of scum like this.
  13. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Peyton Reed? Well that's disappointing.

14. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    Thinking back on it, I think my lukewarm reaction to Peyton Reed’s last episode may have had more to do with the plot he was working with rather than the actual direction. In particular I thought he did an excellent job of focusing on properly building tension before his action sequences. Interested to see what he does with a meatier episode

DarthFixxxer and TadoFett like this.
  15. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I loved episode 10, one of my favourite episodes overall (though I love all of them, so that isn't hard to be one of my favourites). I am looking forward to seeing what Reed will do with this. As long as it is around an hour or more long, that is all I care about.

TadoFett and my kind of scum like this.
  16. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I think that part inevitably gives things away, and the only reason to see it is if you actually don't remember previous episodes. That hazard is definitely not unique to this show, either.

TadoFett likes this.
  17. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, again, on who is doing the directing...

When it comes to television isn't not that huge of a deal. The story is what's important.

Case in point, Dave Filoni wrote and directed "The Gunslinger." A lot of people didn't like that episode. I liked Toro Calican, so I dug the episode.

Dave Filoni also wrote and directed "The Jedi." A lot of people loved that episode. Same writer, same director, same cinematographer, same producer, same editor. Same, same, same, both episodes.

So it's the story that matters most.

If Jon Favreau has a great story for the season finale, we're good. Payton Reed or no.

Payton Reed I assume is a competent director. So if Jon Favreau has one for the ages lined up, then Payton Reed should be able to knock it out.

Of course, if Luke doesn't show up, then Payton Reed is a ****ing hack and doesn't understand Star Wars. :cool:

18. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    I agree that the story is the far more important component of the two, but execution is important as well. “The Sin” was likely going to be a good episode no matter what due to its script, but I also believe that Deborah Chow’s particular directorial decisions allowed it to fully deliver on the promise of that script better than many others might have

19. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    I guess it just occurred to me again...

If Din gets killed, then Ahsoka would probably have a change of heart and take on Grogu (and I will have a very Merry Christmas).

Come on, Moff Gideon. Use the Darksaber and off with his head. Chop-chop. :cool:

20. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I've been thinking about this. I don't think Din will be killed but I would not be surprised at all if Ahsoka does return to team up with Din and Grogs into season 3 before leaving to helm her own show and take Grogs with here when they both realise that Din cannot protect this kid any longer.

TadoFett and Master Cado Afu like this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Let’s hope so

TadoFett and DannyD like this.
  22. Teo9969

Teo9969 Jedi Padawan

Nov 27, 2020
    Conversely, think there's a chance that Grogu isn't even on the ship and that's the reason their rescue effort falls flat to end the season - but maybe the Jedi comes in at the end and is able to "find" his location through The Force. That last part is suspect, but I think there's a way to incorporate Grogu into this episode without them actually saving him.

TadoFett likes this.
  23. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    Time for final predictions: Gideon is going to be revealed to be a Force User or Thrawn appearance at the end or Mace Windu returns (that last one came to me in a dream).

TadoFett likes this.
  24. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't know why people didn't like "The Passenger". To me it was an amazing Star Wars adventure. And Peyton Reed's direction was flawless if you ask me.
    I think the problem is something that I am focusing on a little below:
    And then you have me, who can identify Filoni's signature on both of those episodes, as well as on "The Mandalorian" which was also his, and these episodes are all among my favorites.

I think a major problem that people have with the Mandalorian as a show is that they baptize as a "filler" or a "side quest" whatever episode doesn't have a direct confrontation with the main enemy. But that characterization is very problematic for me. First of all, no piece of art should obey the arbitrary rules that a viewer has set for themselves. And I will never understand why people put TV shows in all these boxes and labels about what should happen, how the character development should work, what is "good" and "bad" direction and so on. Yes, there are technical aspects in filming, but at the end of the day THIS is the story that Favreau and Filoni want to show. Nothing is filler. Nothing is a side quest. Every single episode has a purpose and a story that needs to be followed. And under that prism, all 3 Filoni episodes are very important to the totality of the show. "The Gunslinger" is literally one of the most important characters in Season 2. And it explains how and why Boba Fett is back.

25. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Ah.... thats a bummer - though hopefully, Luke still shows up at some stage.

Meanwhile, to look at the glass being half full, I will check out that "What We Do in the Shadows". Sounds pretty good.

TadoFett and Darth Chiznuk like this.