main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 3.04 - Chapter 20 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Mar 21, 2023.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Mar 29, 2023.
  1. 10

16.5%
  2. 9

17.4%
  3. 8

24.3%
  4. 7

25.2%
  5. 6

7.8%
  6. 5

4.3%
  7. 4

1.7%
  8. 3

1.7%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0.9%
  1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Just to say it again and again and again and .... in hope someone from LF/Disney reads it:
    31 min episodes suck hard while others are 50 min.
    Any decent show of that budget manages to make each episode at least 45 minutes (without intro and credits!). Seems that it is not that difficult.

2. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Seems like a nice guy. A good live action actor/host, not so much.

3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    So prior to this episode I seem to recall that someone had leaked that Grogu would train the kid that he did train against here but the context felt different. Does anyone know of that leak? Who shared that and what else was shared about it? Sometimes leaks contain some hypothesizing and it’s within those hypotheses where the mistakes occur and so I’m wondering if what was leaked is ultimately what we saw or not.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Don't the Mandalorians have ships ?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Haha, that's exactly what I thought when I googled it. Worse than Jar Jar - and that's difficult.

6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It’s still not even clear where they sleep at this point.

3sm1r and Bor Mullet like this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think he was perfectly fine in the Jedi Temple Challenge show (the little I watched at least) - he didn't exactly have much to work with.
    But he was great in The Mandalorian, and I kind of immediately wanted a spinoff with the character.

8. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    Cave floor I'm guessing. Maybe they got a shuttle drop off, because as they pointed out the Raptor stole kids before and they couldn't keep up with them. so they ain't got a ship, cuz Bo had to follow them in her ship.

At this point it might be time to call Child Protective Services because kids with this group on this planet are constantly in danger

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    CptEks likes this.
  9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, I don't think we can really critique a youtube show for kiddies here.

He was great in Mando. And I'd like to see more of him in the show, or even spin off material on this level of production.

10. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    I would totally disagree, of course they didn't give him much to work with here. But I was not a fan of the goofy faces he made while in combat. Maybe with a different director and a little more dialogue my opinion will change.

He kind of reminds me of the actor in those Police Academy movies, not look wise but in mannerisms and facial expressions. I believe his name is Michael Winslow

11. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I realize many people empathize with and want the best for Ahmed Best following all he went through but he waved his arm and did a couple decent saber moves and flew a couple vehicles over the course of what felt like a 30 second montage in the spirit of the Order 66 ROtS montage.

Great performance talk? A Spinoff show? Just for that?

Sarge, RetropME and Christopher Blair like this.
  12. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I’m not taking about giving him his own damn show..but I’d like to see more of him in this show. And potentially in other places besides a YouTube kiddie program.

He fought cool. Piloted great. I’m mean…shrugs. Lol

13. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    His physicality was okay during combat, but saying he piloted great??? he was sitting on a bike in front of a green screen, I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean as far as the actual actor goes. He was actually not flying lol.

14. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It was nice to see more Jedi and sabers on a show without a lot of that and I do wish him the best in life but I don’t see any other need for his character ahead beyond perhaps him being captured and us realizing how Grogu was eventually captured.

Sarge likes this.
  15. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I must have a different set of standards than quite a few here - hey, it is what it is - but I had zero problems with the "look" of the episode, in terms of direction, or practical or other effects. SHRUG.

Had a blast with this one. I don't feel every episode has to be "action packed", but no denying the fast pace of this episode was a lot of fun. Loved the rescue of Grogu, liked that they didn't leave the young "monsters" to starve (hey, I'm a softy, what can I say!), and enjoyed getting a little more insight into the culture of the Mandalorians (or, at least, this particular covert). I have seen some complaints online that this season is more Bo-Katan focused than DIn focused...and I can KINDA see that, although we'll see where this all goes. For me, a fun, exciting, episode with a lot of very cool touches I am still mulling over.

PS - My family and I have gotten into camping over the last few years and I have to say that its always fun to see some SW camping (which happens quite a bit in MANDO). =D=

Riv_Shiel, Grey Matter, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    wouldn't Bo already know the routines for eating?

17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    People criticizing Ahmed Best in 2023 for the "faces he made in combat" (my favorite part of the episode btw) is why we cannot have nice things.

As a prequel lover, I am ecstatic about the Kelleran Beq scene, and wish to see him more in the future, when we revisit Grogu's journey in the past.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I've watched the sequence several times, and I have no idea what "goofy faces" you're even talking about.

19. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    I sure am because they were Goofy, I'm not going to pretend that it was great and he deserves a spin-off show

20. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Yesterday, @godisawesome and I were discussing the relative narrative merits of Bo Katan being the one to lead or Din Djarin. @godisawesome , what are your thoughts on this topic following this episode? I couldn’t help but feel like it was a continuation of them setting up not only Bo’s leap of faith toward the Creed but also her leadership potential. She came up with the plan. She was bestowed multiple honors in the episode for her leadership. She was given council. Meanwhile, Din continued his role as proud papa narratively.

For me, if they still intend for Din to be the leader of this cohort it will be a narrative fake out similar to Game of Thrones where it felt like either John Snow, or perhaps Tyrion Lannister, we’re being setup to lead at the end, only for the twist to be Bran.

It Bo feels like the natural leader to most of the Mandalorians but she personally makes the case for Din in the end and makes her case for why she feels Din is best suited it will be far less controversial than what happened on GOT but after this episode I feel that they will either take this approach, by setting Bo up first, or that she will simply and slowly just earn the role and Din will happily accept a place at her side and feel fortunate for the role he played in her discovering her potential. Let’s also not forget that he is in her debt and that she has shown no interest in challenging him for the dark saber in combat so far.

In fact, at present there is little hint of her being an antagonistic force for Din like many assumed she would be. With 4 episodes left in this season I’m not sure they have the runway to alter that now. It makes sense that Gideon will soon return and if the rumors of him wearing Mandalorian armor and having his own jet pack are true then a dramatic turn ahead could easily involve him winning the saber back from Din. He didn’t have Beskar armor on before when they last fought and to re-establish him as a formidable big bad they will probably need to put him over on Din in round 2. This will create more danger for the plot and he could even try to claim in his armor that he is fit to rule.

If that happens then I think it will be Bo Katan who challenges him and wins the saber back.

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    He gets his eyes very wide open like Carl weathers was like now make a very serious and dangerous face and it came off goofy to me. I'm super pumped it worked for you.

Same with him on the speeder escaping. The facial expressions didn't match the scenes. It happened a lot in the prequels too with other actors so maybe they were trying to match that

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    How the heck did they get to where they are without ships? There is a bit too much nonsense in the world-building as a means reinforcing plot points. Yes, they wanted Bo to be the one to fly after the raptor in her ship. But you don’t have to completely eliminate everyone else’s ships in order to set that up. This is not the (only) way.
    I don’t want to be the bearer of disappointing news, but Best was not actually piloting a ship.

23. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    I was talking to a friend of mine about the show today and he made a very good point at least I think so. He said the first two seasons felt like a show that was meant for families but still adult. He said this season it feels like a young adult novel version of the Mandalorian and I'm beginning to think so too.

24. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    It’s a bit weak yeah. Maybe they all arrived on one clunky transport ship. So they don’t immediately think of it when they all have half - fueled jet packs on. (Which I thought was the bigger plot failure tbh, since they all ran out of fuel at the same time. Seriously SW. stop it with the low fuel plot devices. It didn’t work in TLJ and it doesn’t work here lol)

cwustudent likes this.
  25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think the thing with Ahmed Best is that we know its Ahmed Best and every moment we are just thinking about how this is a redemption for all the years of negativity. So its hard not to see the person rather than the character.

Did they need that little crash and roll at the end? No, but it helped him look cool. I was fairly surprised by how glorified his part was and I'm gonna guess we are gonna see more of him in another flashback. its kinda left open after they go into lightspeed.

There is gonna be so much more lore around that character now. Wait till he appears in animation at some point.