main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian [Din Djarin] Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by RX_Sith, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

The Naboo ships like Din is flying now could be centuries old a d from High Republic era.

CampOfSorgan and MercenaryAce like this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It was flown by Darth Plagueis. Confirmed!

3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    In Ep. 5 of TBOBF the Armorer mentions the Jedi's no attachments rule which is antithetical to the Mandalorian way. I'm assuming they mentioned this is a setup for some conflict later down the road. It could simply be an explanation for why we won't see much of Grogu and why he won't rejoin Din but it could also lead into a story about how Grogu challenges the Jedi rules and Din challenges the Mandalorian rules.

Speaking of challenging the Mandalorian rules Ep. 5 signaled that Din will attempt to redeem himself in the mines' living waters. Supposedly the mines were destroyed but I'm assuming that Din will discover that they weren't destroyed. Initially I thought that Din would be successful in redeeming himself in the mines but now I'm wondering if he'll fail but then come up with some other way to redeem himself. Not only that maybe he'll redeem himself via some unorthodox way. In other words he'll do something heroic that helps the Mandalorians and declare that there should be a new "way". The Armorer won't accept this but other Mandalorians will.

Regardless of whether this happens or not I think that going forward we're going to see Din challenge his tribes beliefs while he continues his journey of becoming the reluctant king. There presumably will be conflict between the Armorers way of thinking and Bo-Katan's way of thinking and Din will find a third way of settling the conflict that isn't firmly on the Armorers side or Bo-Katan's side.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Din Djarin trough the years, in the solo posters.

5. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    "Through the years" makes it sound like so much longer than two years. Feels much longer too.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah. For a relatively new character, I am impressed by how quickly and how naturally he has felt like almost as central a star wars character as any of the movie cast. That not only could he stand next to Boba Fett as an equal, but even overshadow Boba in Boba's own show in the eyes of many. That is pretty impressive on multiple levels.

Bor Mullet and godisawesome like this.
  7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I really think in season 3 we need to see Din figuring out what "being a Mandalorian" means. Is it rigidly following the dogma laid out by the Armorer? Or is it more than that? I do want to see him engaging with other Mandos like he did with Bo, Axe and Koska...Sabine as well. But I think he needs to decide for himself what it means.

CampOfSorgan, Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I wouldn’t say almost. Din Djarin (and Grogu) feel more central to Star Wars than all of the ST characters combined. They just feel like the more natural successors to the OT and PT.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I find myself going back and forth on Din's utility in The Book of Boba Fett. Had he been solely used in service of the primary Boba narrative, it would have been much more effective. I liked the stretches of the show where that was Din's purpose, similar to how Boba was largely in service of Din's cause in season 2 of The Mandalorian. I did think that the darksaber would have some kind of payoff pertinent to the finale in relation to Boba, but that wasn't the case.

I think would have preferred it had Din started simply by arriving on Tatooine, joined up with Boba, and then assembled his new ship at the end, leaving all the peripheral elements to season 3, including Grogu. That could have offered perspective on Din's solitude without Grogu, while also expanding on his dynamic with Boba. This might have given us as an audience enough time in which Grogu's absence from Din's life is then paid off with a reunion in season 3, as opposed to it coming so soon.

Riv_Shiel, Sarge and CampOfSorgan like this.
  10. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    No spoiler, just someone's idea and its pretty clever!

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. So, I would've done episode 5's opening exactly the same, with the butcher shop throwdown and the ring station/ Armorer stuff all in-tact, including the mail shirt forging and excommunication. Then instead of it being Pelli Motto who summons him to Tatooine, it's Fennec/ Boba. That would have also been cleaner in terms of avoiding coincidences.

12. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    The funny thing about coincidences is that these were an expected element of ancient epic narrative. The rules of cause and effect were looser then -- something that bothered Aristotle and is why he preferred the stricter cause and effect rules of tragedy -- because less was understood about cause and effect and much of life was perceived as ruled by chance and coincidence.

So when I see how modern storytellers approach the "episodic" style, I sometimes wonder if they aren't paying homage to the loose style of the epic. One of the qualities that made the epic feel large was the ability to leap from one setting to another, and then to tie things together by coincidence or chance, which of course for the Greeks were usually ultimately the manipulations of the Gods, who were unpredictable.

Whether or not this kind of style satisfies the modern audience is a question, and the answer is likely no. Our modern minds want too much cause and effect, too much understanding.

@The Regular Mustache

Good thoughts on Din's coming arc. It's obviously time for him to outgrow his cult. His journey of redemption will likely turn out to be an epiphany that he needs no redemption, but that his destiny is to lead Mandalore back to a prominent role in the galaxy.

I agree that the Mandalorian's way is an implicit critique of the Prequel Jedi way, and it will be interesting to see if LFL intends to use the notion of community and family social bonds as a way to transform the Jedi Order. While I'm not entirely happy about turning Luke into a detachment Jedi, I am happy that it would provide a good reason for his failed Jedi Order. Rey seems much more open to attachment and social bonds, and I can see her, Finn, and Grogu spawning a new Order that synthesizes the community values of the Mandos with the Jedi, and dealing with powerful emotions directly, as opposed to repression and isolation.

Vasco_Rojo, Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, modern audiences are less tolerant of unbelievable coincidences. They tend to demand a little more realism. And that’s OK. It makes sense for mythic tales to adapt to the times a bit. After all, the Sumerian who told the story of Gilgamesh told a story for their age and experience in a settled, agricultural society. That storyteller didn’t just copy the storytelling forms of his or her cave-dwelling, hunter-gatherer ancestors.

For me, while I want to see mythic and legendary archetypes and types of stories in Star Wars, they go down better when there’s an aura of realism or naturalism about them. A more grounded supernaturalism, that is.

Though that’s for Star Wars. In other media, I’m open to all kinds of coincidental wackiness.

The Chalk Jedi and Riv_Shiel like this.
  14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    What is the image of the N1 in water from? Is that the Death Star in TROS?

15. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    The Twitter feed says "Eclipse trailer". What's that?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  16. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    A new Star Wars computer game coming featuring Voldemort.

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    It was probably a struggle for Disney to go four episodes without Grogu. And no way they’d want to go two years without an appearance from their currently most popular (and profitable) character.

18. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    tiny Din in comic form.

[​IMG]

19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There’s something I’ve been meaning to try and analyze about Din with you guys and haven’t got around to until now.

How do you guys think Din *actually* compares to other Mandos, pilots, bounty hunters, polyglots, etc?

Like… how educated does he seem to you guys? He seems woefully un-educated about his own people’s history or society, but has a strong grasp of (Star Wars’s version of) tactics and strategies, a decent ability to analyze or investigate other cultures and people, and a working and surprisingly versatile grasp of Jawa and Tusken (both sign language and some words and phrases in Season 2) alongside the usual Huttese and Basic, and likely knows Mando’s as well.

He seems largely self-educated on top of all that as well.

Menawhile, is he supposed to be an “elite” bounty hunter, or merely a really good one? His scenes with Greef, Toro Callican and others in Season One implies he has a reputation for reliability, so maybe he’s maximizing quantity over quality in order to ensure he gets a steady stream of income?

And would you bet on him or against him if he fought Bo? Paz Viszla seems to be a particualrly formidable member of the Watch (especially as he alone survived alongside the Armorer from Season One), but Din seems the superior warrior once he quits trying to use the Darksaber against him, and he acquitted himself well enough when allied with Bo for her to want to recruit him permanently, and impress the experienced Fennec Shand into regarding him highly.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The show isn't called Bo Katan, so I'm betting on our protagonist. This is the way.
    Unless the plot needs him to lose, as always. That's the major failing of plot armor. :boba:

Speaking of armor, I had a thought about Mando's bare beskar. Everyone else paints their armor in house or clan colors, or in a way that appeals to their individual identity. Din has never done that. So when the day comes for him to step up and lead all Mandalorians, he won't be identified with any particular clan or house. That may reduce the resistance of those who don't want to see rival clans leading Mandalore.

Lomer2012, B3, StoneRiver and 4 others like this.
  21. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    I think he's moved out of bounty hunting and into Knight questing territory. He carries those bounty hunting skills with him and he seems an elite one to me (compared to those in TBOBF, for example). So he's probably up there with those recruited by Vader in ESB.

As regards his questing, he seems very single-minded to become a Mandalorian. Like, doggedly so. He seems to be a quick-witted do-er rather than a researcher/questioner.

It makes for good action and serial stories.

As @Sarge says, his "pure", unquestioned Mandalorian Creed (represented by his armour) will unify Mandalorians, moving him out of Knight territory and into leader territory. I guess this season will put him there. Is he knowledgeable? A bit. Is he quick to learn? Yes. Is he a good fighter? Elite. Is he going to embody Creed, real-world learning, foundling care, and survival of Mandalore into the salvation of all things Mandalorian? I'd bet the farm. Also, IMHO.

Sarge and CampOfSorgan like this.
  22. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Great point about Din's armor, @Sarge. Never thought of that.

godisawesome and Sarge like this.
  23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    He seems to have indeed been "clanless" before meeting Grogu, but there's also a fun little meta-text to his bare armor - it's pure Beskar for a pure Mandalorian. He's the most Mando to have Mando'ed that we've seen so far, in spite of the CotW ostracizing him and not having a larger clan or house to pledge loyalty to.

This is not to say he's without a unique characterization now... but conceptually, he was introduced as a straightforward, seemingly dime-a-dozen Mando, and now he sort of comes off like the only unblemished, unaligned Mando. Even Boba Fett, who he was clearly made in the image of at first, has affiliations that Din doesn't have.

Fun thing about the Knight thing - not only does he have the shining armor, but he's sort of falling into a pattern of "dragon"-slaying... and he's getting better and better at it.

Season One? He was almost killed by the Mudhorn and needed Grogu to save him first. then he helped Cara and the village takedown the AT-ST. Then he took down a TIE Fighter with a jetpack and a bomb. Then, in Season Two he organized the village and tribe into taking down the actual Sand Dragon. Now, in Season 3, he enters by killing Bowser's angry, inbred cousin, with barely any effort because his "steed" is now as awesome as he, his kid wizard companion, and magic sword are.

Sarge likes this.
  24. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    Oh yeah! I hadn't noticed these dragon-slaying and Knight's trappings before but they're right there!

B3, Sarge and godisawesome like this.
  25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    So Din's commitment to the particular Creed of the Children of the Watch had him almost drowning in holy waters and needing to be rescued... and I don't think that's either just an excuse to explore the water or any kind of subtle for what the clear metaphor is - that he's also drowning in the unbending fanaticism of the Children of the Watch, and needs ot escape it as well.

My money would say that we're probably going to get a scene in the next few episodes where he's again going to refuse to take off his now-re-"sanctified" helmet, but is going to have some horrible truth or deed adjacent to that practice put in his path, like young Ragnar losing his helmet and being expelled from the Creed, or Grogu wanting to see his dad's face again, or Bo Katan catching crap left and right for not following their pratice... and we're going to start seeing him become conflicted over the Creed.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    DannyD, Sproj and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.