main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian [Din Djarin] Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by RX_Sith, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think a good 4 or 5 seasons is good.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think no limit. However long it takes for Favreau and Filoni to tell a good, satisfying and full story, without rushing or dragging, is good for me. Whether that takes 3 or 8 seasons is not a concern for me. That’s also what I love about the non-uniform episode lengths. Productions way too often place arbitrary time limits on TV shows or films. The focus should be on organic storytelling, not trying to meet a length standard set by a studio.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Yeah, I really don't care how many seasons this goes exactly, so long as the quality keeps up and I remain captivated. They are impressing me week after week right now and I'm loving it all - the big picture stuff, the slice of life "one-off" adventures, and most importantly, the evolving relationship of Din and Grogu.

No way season three is the end of this narrative. They'll be upfront about it when they're about to end it. Right now though, there is still a lot of steam left in this show and a lot of adventures, big and small alike, to go on!

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I thiink this show can go for 6 strong seasons without it feeling to drawn out. there are many storylines that Mnado will cover now. The liberation of Mandalore, Din and Grogu's relationship, discover more about being aboutthe jedi.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I just don't want them to Walking Dead-ify it. I can't see anymore than six.

6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    4 seasons. Then I hope there is a new show where Mando joins many other main characters.

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Mando can be like Rebels, 4 strong seasons. then can be a part of a larger story with Thrawn.

8. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I agree that there shouldnt be a time limit if the story is still good and going along strongly.

I guess I've always said that after about 4 or so seasons, a TV show starts losing its touch. The storylines become repetitive and there is nothing special about them.

But maybe Star Wars on television is unique in its ability to have multiple storylines and character arcs going on in addition to the main plotline. This is something that is a unique feature in every trilogy and every side journey and character arc meets at the same climax at the end of the trilogy.

This has carried over into television and maybe this sort of storytelling allows for multiple seasons without the story suffering. Because we are only 3 Chapters away from concluding Season 2 and nothing has dragged or feels forced. If anything, the buildup is still intensifying and becoming increasingly captivating. And we still have some major plot points (Grogu's path, Grogu and Din's relationship, Gideon and the Dark Saber, Re-taking Mandalore) that need addressing before this series finished.

Maybe Star Wars storytelling (multiple side character arcs and journeys and other side stories) is the unique beast that allows for multiple engaging seasons without the story suffering - where as "normal" television series that focuses its storytelling on one character (and the one character arc and journey) loses steam after a few seasons.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Here's the big difference. Walking Dead takes place on one planet and is about fighting zombies. Star Wars takes place across a massive galaxy and is about everything. So the latter has waaaaay more room to continue being interesting than the former.

10. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Walking Dead also has gone through what, five showrunners now? The people in charge of the show keep getting fired or quitting and is has gone through so many hands, while also setting up a seemingly endless number of spinoffs. It is no wonder that series is an absolute mess.

I think it is kind of silly to start throwing an arbitrary "The Mandalorian should be X number of seasons" when we don't even have a feel yet for what the show's endgame is going to be.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This is the way

Darth_Accipiter likes this.
  12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    When your “filler” episodes involve fighting alien spiders the size of Humvees... you’ve got a different baseline for how long you can string stuff out.

13. Teo9969

Teo9969 Jedi Padawan

Nov 27, 2020
    Independent of how much material can be found in a GFFA, Din is a character and as such, has a shelf life. Within that shelf life, there is a time where it ends too soon, drags on way too long, or is perfectly balanced and satisfying to the consumer of the content. As much as I loved Daredevil and seeing it cancelled with a high likelihood that it wasn't coming back was incredibly dissatisfying, I do think the 3.5 seasons we got of him was not far from what we needed. I don't think he could have gone on for 3 more seasons or anything like that.

I think it will be similar for Din - his development will take off within the next 6 episodes and when it does the end of that line of development needs to be the end of the story. He's not so dynamic a character and this is not so dynamic a story that reinvention has a likelihood of success. Up to this point, the world-building has been a nice breather from having to focus too much on the character - but the laid-back, observe the world around you approach also comes natural to the main character, so the method has felt organic. However, I'm afraid the story will feel stale if that continues to be the main methodology. Moving forward I think things should pick up substantially and then a few breather episodes should be peppered in along the way.

5 seasons seems tops here to me, and 4 might be better if the final 2 seasons come in at 10 episodes.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Arbitrary. Premature. These are the words that come to mind when fans suddenly and inexplicably start calling for this great show to wrap things up. Far worse to me than any perception of “dragging” would be if this show sprinted towards the endgame, rushing character development and storylines, and flattening the world in the process (here’s looking at you, GoT). Some viewers have this weird desire to just fast forward to the end of things. I find the buildup and the exploration of both characters and worlds (characters in themselves) to be the most interesting element of a show. The landings, without good buildup, rarely ever stick. And I imagine Favreau and Filoni get this, and will try to make this landing as earned as possible. Whether that takes 4 seasons or 6 or 8 or 12 or whatever. This isn’t a numbers game, and I don’t understanding the inclination towards making it one.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  15. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    There might be some fear that everyone and everything will be dead before the ST. On one hand we heard Ahsoka talking to Rey on the other hand we saw the Ghost in Episode IX. As soon as it becomes clear that the beginning of the ST is not the end of these story arcs for me they can make 100+ seasons.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I am almost certain that Grogu was introduced not least because his longevity will take his story waaaay beyond the ST. So I do not see the natural endpoint of this series, or future series that build on it, to be the beginning of the ST. I see the endpoint to be some unknown time during the post-ST world, with Grogu as a central character in a New Jedi Order.

17. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope you're right. Mando ending up on Mandalore would be great too.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That too. I even wouldn’t object to Grogu becoming the new Mandalore...

And while we’re hoping and speculating, I think the Mandalorian civilization or Empire or whatever it ends up being when revived (and I think it will be) is going to be a central galactic player in the post-ST world. Either good, bad or something in between.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  19. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    He would look like a Funko Pop with a Mando Helmet

Bor Mullet and DurararaFTW like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Lol. That image popped into my head too.

[​IMG]

But seriously, if he were to become the Mandalore, I'd make him the Satine type, and simply give him some fun robes or something. Obviously he'd look dumb as heck with a little Mando helmet.

21. Teo9969

Teo9969 Jedi Padawan

Nov 27, 2020
    I think we agree on what we want to happen - I just don't see a great way for this to get much beyond 40 episodes because of what they've done in the first 13. We're already at the precipice of this moving too slowly and the characters being stale. Not saying we're there yet but to me, here's where we're at:

1. We have an interesting, if simple main character for whom limited foundations for story telling + character development have been laid. I see his relationship to Grogu/general ability to relate to others as development opportunity A and the opening of his mind from being a CotW to a new type of Mandalorian as opportunity B. That's really it - anything else is likely to feel forced or incongruent given the foundations laid. I don't think those 2 opportunities have a super long life.

2. We haven't done much actual story telling. I actually like that we haven't really started that grind because it is stretching the series out and allowing us to experience a new world, but part of the excitement from the last episode, I feel, is that it really feels like a springboard for an accelerated pace of the story.

Master Cado Afu likes this.
  22. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    This is what makes the show fantastic. The difference in the characters, both in their physical look, but totally different all around, so seeing this relationship is awesome. And the team seems to be making it all work well.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Dare I say it, but maybe the Mandalorian of the title will end up being Grogu? Maybe the title was referring to him all along? And I don't know why I think it, but I genuinely feel as though Din is going to give his life for Grogu by the end of the series.

24. Teo9969

Teo9969 Jedi Padawan

Nov 27, 2020
    I've thought this several times - if at some point he did "complete" his training as a Jedi and became the ruler of Mandalore, that would be pretty poetic. And given his longevity, he could present a source of power balance for generations to come in Star Wars stories.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No need to dare to say it. You’re in a safe space. I just said it a few hours earlier. ;)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Krueger likes this.