main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Mandalorian (Jon Favreau SW Live Action show) - Now featuring former Man in DeLorean

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    No Nevarro battle today, color me quite surprised, or follow up on the Pershing plot. We know these are coming, and likely plotlines about Gideon and reuniting Mando groups, and there are only four more episodes to go.
    Makes me a little nervous they can get everything for a satisfying finale. Admittedly, I worried about that in season 2 and that worked great. Course, I was also worried about that in Book of Boba Fett and that finale was kind of disappointing to me.

Man, I have seen so many jedi speculated to be the one that saved Grogu, but I don't think I saw anyone suggest this character. What fun.

So now the question is how he ended up in that camp of mercenaries in the first episode. Probably sad, though part of me wonders if maybe he set up some sort of payment system to have those mercs keep them safe while he did heroic jedi stuff.

Shoutout to those Naboo soldiers that gave their lives to save Grogu and Kelleran.
    ---Though their uniforms seemed a bit different than what I remember. Maybe they aren't Naboo, but then the ship...or I suppose the uniform just got updated over the years, certainly looks similar to the naboo palace guard.
    ---Kind of reminds me of Battlefront 2, where the jedi temple was also defended by "temple security forces" that looked identical to what Naboo troops wore in that game.

Lots of lose lasers in a crowded city. At least one person probably got lasered through their window.

I know star wars has a lot of dangerous creatures but I think this planet kind of takes the cake, at least in how frequently they are willing to attack groups of heavily armed humans.
    ---If they ever make another star wars mmo, I hope they have this planet as a high end zone.

I remember people saying that about season 2 as well. And the middle episodes of season 1 - after the intro, people were worried that the show had run out of ideas and was just going to be Din wandering around being attacked by bounty hunters. I look forward to people saying the same about season 4.

edit: Looking again that might have come out as dismissive. I just think a lot of times the plot relevance of certain bits doesn't really become clear until later on when the plot has actually unfurled. Like, the Prisoner was one of the ones most lambasted as filler when it came out, but in hindsight it is one of the most plot important episodes.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting episode- short, but actually felt longer, since it has a similar "bookends with a middle story" structure as last weekend (but with the reverse balance favoring the bookends instead of the cutaway story).

Happy and surprised to see Ahmed's character return. We finally get to see "The Sabered Hand" at work! The Naboo link is also an interesting development. Maybe this is what Padme was doing behind the scenes while Bail was witnessing Zett's fall. Once we get Grogu's full backstory it'll be interesting see it cut into ROTS/O66/TCW/BB mega-cut.

So, if the first 3 episodes were basically the "Mines of Mandalore" arc/movie (ala the first 3 episodes of Season 1 and final 3 episodes of Season 2), I'm guessing this and the following episodes will either be about Bo's evolution towards the Mythosaur, or we're in the middle stretch of one-shot-ish storylines that will be building the final arc. Or they're just doing something different, structurally after this point, with the cutaway stories being not too dissimilar to the cutaway episodes of BOBF.

I like to read it as being part of her manipulations- she's trying to push Pershing into breaking the rules to get him outside of the zone. So she starts planting the idea that its ok to break the rules by having him do something harmless that has no consequences that results in fun. It helps get him more comfortable with the idea.

And yet no Venator buzzing as shown in the end credit art :(

I think that's actually part of the point. They're a cult founded on the ideas of a warrior leader that conquered a mythological beast. They want dangerous creatures and challenges to set themselves against.

Ghost, JediFett10 and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Fun episode. Well paced, neat interweaving of the past and present.

Interesting too that it was a Naboo ship that got Grogu out.

Is it wrong that I wanted Paz Viszla to break out his massive tri-cannon on the hatchlings? No way is Ragnar not messed up by being eaten and vomited out. Really liked what happened to the bird - "There's always a bigger fish."

Are Mando ships part-TARDIS, as how did they fit those three hatchlings into it?

This was a lot of fun.

AusStig and Dream-Thinker like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Watch Ahmed Best Jedi take Grogu to actual Jar-Jar then Jar-Jar screws up and sells him for magic beans or something

anyway I thought Jedi Temple Challenge was set during the High Republic but I guess not and all the contestants died

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    So in light of this episode the shape of the rest of the season is presumably...

Episode 5- The Mandos going back to Navarro to save it from the pirates, huge action scene from the trailers.

Episode 6- New Republic stuff again? Finally a reintroduction to Gideon?

Episode 7/8- Return to Mandalore/Taming the Mythosaur/uniting the Mandalorians/defeating Gideon once and for all?

JediFett10 likes this.
  6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Well, Kelleran Beq is just about the very last character I would have expected to be Grogu's rescuer!

We can assume Kelleran is Canon, but not Jedi Temple Challenge necessarily. We hear the ghostly voice of Yoda on that show! Pretty sure we have zero examples of Yoda doing anything like that prior to the Rebellion era. I would imagine Kelleran has accompanied youngling on the Gathering, and perhaps missions similar to JTC but the precise content of that game show isn't what we should be thinking of.

Anyway, great episode. Can't help but think the Armorer chose that planet because it's such a difficult crucible for survival. Ragnarr has the worst damn luck though. Like he attracts giant beasts or something.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yoda did project from Dagobah to Ezra. Casting your voice through the Force was also done by only a partially-trained Luke. Also, maybe Yoda is just upstairs at the Temple challenge, talking through the central AC vents ;). The show is quasi-canon as far as the characters go, his nickname, potential backstory, etc. But, yeah, the actual show is not a literal presentation of events. It could be representative of them, though.

I like to think that JTC is to Beq as Anakin's Tales of the Jedi training was for Ahsoka ;).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    Watcherwithin and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    They packed a lot into 27 minutes, and the pacing was good IMO. I still hope to learn more about the CotW customs and rituals, but I'd rather have short episodes than longer ones that don't do justice to the subject matter.

9. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think they packed a lot more fx budget into this episode than they did the previous one!

JediFett10 and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I am shocked at how much more into this reveal as to who saved Grogu I am than literally every other fan theory, which I was kind of dreading. A cool new (yeah not technically but mostly) Jedi with mysterious connections to the Naboo? Giving Ahmed Best a serious role? Sick!

The present day episode is goofy as hell with the implication that Mandalorians have just been letting themselves get picked off by birds for months, and I can't stop laughing at the shot where Paz does a little hop and shouts "He's alive!" then flies directly into a giant bird's mouth. Also a lot of the CGI in the opening shot is pretty dodgy with some obvious digital Mandalorians moving like animatronics at Disneyland.

However! All of the stuff that isn't good is incredibly charming in a way that some of the best goofy Star Wars is, so I'm fully satisfied!

Jedi Ben, Dawud786 and RogueWhistler like this.
  11. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Was a fun ep.

I liked almost all of it.

That naboo ship though, just felt so fan ficy.

Maybe this will tie into the OG battlefront 2 story.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm thinking it's less fan service and more seeding where the plotline might be going. Afterall, if we assume Padme is busy with Anakin and her storyline in ROTS and not involved in this between the scenes, then, think for a moment- who else would be sympathetic to the Jedi and have access to a Naboo H-type Yacht on Coruscant with Naboo security forces (implying that Kelleran and Grogu might be headed for Naboo)? And whose actor is obviously already been hired?

[​IMG]

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I imagine Filoni/Favreau are aware Jar Jar is in Aftermath, too.

14. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    And I honest hope they retcon it.

EmperorHorus and Ghost like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And this could very well explain why a seemingly pro-Palpatine representative from the Emperor's homeworld ended up how he did in Aftermath- caught helping a traitorous Jedi escape, Imperial PR hammer drops on him, loses his position, PR gets public to shun him. Still blamed for Palpatine's rise by non-Imperials.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not just implications. We know even democratric Naboo just appointed their Senator. And we know it was a similar case with many others. One of the biggest reforms of the NR, which we learned in the Episode 7 visual dictionary, was that it required all Senators to actually be elected (but still didn't require the planetary governments themselves to be elected, and we know from Bloodline that titles of nobility still existed).

As for this episode, I honestly didn't even realize it was shorter until I came here. I liked all of it. Character development for Din, Grogu, and Bo, more names and character to the side characters of this Mandalorian group, some nice action, etc.

And if they use the Mandalorian to actually redeem Jar Jar in this way... that would be damn impressive.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Gerak, QuinlanSolo, AusStig and 2 others like this.
  17. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Jar Jar doesn't need redeemed but I do wanna see him again

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    https://www.starwars.com/news/ahmed-best-the-mandalorian-interview
    Nice, unintentionally High Republic-y.

19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    His whole look was High Republic-y.

Give this this character some Clone Wars stories! He needs a novel or a comic series or both.

I fully expect to see him on the show more.

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Has anyone been getting this "Error code 41" on Disney+ for the Mandalorian, which says "the content is unavailable" amd then prevents you from viewing the episode list? I can still watch the episodes when I select it from the "continue watching" list, but I can't go back and watch a previous episode. And it's only happening for the Mandalorian...all other shows and movies are working normally.

21. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    That's a very cool way of looking at things. I actually imagine the Jedi much the same way myself (as far as being constantly communing the Force versus just accessing it for superhuman abilities). Neat to see an actor think so deeply about the in universe machinations of the Force. Now I'm hoping even harder we get some more Kelleran stories down the road (outside just the Mandalorian as I don't think there are many ways the character gets a happy conclusion to his story here)

Dawud786 and Sarge like this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That is truly a great description of the Force, and how it should be depicted.

23. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    If you mean the Force should be something the Jedi are constantly aware of and moving with, I agree. If you mean the specific analogy of it being akin to being submerged in water, I don't. Only because I think it is more interesting to have every Jedi, every Force-sensitive, perceive that immersion in different ways.

Kelleran experiences it like being immersed in water. Avar Kriss experiences a song. Burryaga perceives it as a great tree of life. Bell Zettifar, the fire of life. Cal Kestis like a immense void.

I'm curious as to how Luke might experience it, or Rey. I can't recall a book going into that just yet.

Sarge, Jedi Ben and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Who else thinks that
    That Naboo yacht and security guards belongs to Jar Jar Binks
    ?

QuinlanSolo and Foreign32567 like this.
  25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I want to.

it's the same model Anakin and Padme were flying in AOTC. I prefer to assume it's property of the Naboo government and it was assigned to representative Binks after that.

BigAl6ft6 and QuinlanSolo like this.