main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Mandalorian (Jon Favreau SW Live Action show) - Now featuring former Man in DeLorean

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    MSW have said that the "Droid Gotra" will appear.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh sweet! I've really been looking forward to seeing them in more stuff.

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    please please please let us have Zuckuss in this show too.

5. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's interesting that Pablo's recent Scum & Villainy gave the ESB bounty hunters distinct canonical biographies, some partly based on Legends and some new. I wonder if it's more than coincidence that we might be seeing them in The Mandalorian, especially as IG-88's and 4-LOM's pages tie them to the Droid Gotra. It's possible Pablo was basing those bios off what might have been developed for the show.

6. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Totally down for Droid Gotra action. I've recently had a feeling that, beyond the ST and the recent OT-era underworld focus, something droid-centric is brewing as a "next thing" in Star Wars.

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for the Droid Gotra to have an actual weighty appearance. Back when it first got mentioned in Tarkin in 2014, it stuck out so much that I was sure it was a setup for some upcoming story. If does turn out they were actually setting up for a 2019 TV show back in a 2014 book, I would be impressed.

Anyway, I was thinking, I wonder if Carl Weathers will ever direct some episodes. He has done multiple episodes of Scandalmakers, after all.

8. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    It's entirely possible the Gotra, as well as elements like IG-88, were planned for Josh Trank's Boba Fett film, hence early references to them. Considering Kathy recently suggested the Fett film has been cancelled and the focus has shifted to The Mandalorian, I wonder if there'll be some re-using of ideas, in the same way Underworld concepts have cropped up in later series.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  9. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    I mean, some of those elements have probably gotten kicked down the line to the point where they may be first appearing in The Mandalorian after being scuttled out of one canceled thing or another, and some of them which have already been used a little bit may get the spotlight for the first time. And it kinda makes sense -- this really is the first live action series, and it's pretty "underworld".

If we ever see the Underworld scripts, they might play like a picked-over turkey carcass with only the "Sheev's girlfriend" stuff left unused elsewhere!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  10. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    We can dearly hope.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Or they recycle and make Plagueis a female Munn....Or if we really wanna use old drafts Female Nemodian...Since it was this apparent 'girlfriend' who turned Palp's over to the dark side or so the rumor goes.....Let's merge all three together.

But anyway, that's the Star Wars way, just take old concepts to recycle and batta boom you get something new and still interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2018
  12. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    At this point, I think it's pretty much a given that Underworld and 1313 will be feeding future Star Wars projects for years to come (and have been for years already).

What I'm really curious about is if any ideas from Detours ends up getting used down the line.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I still want to see Detours, I love Robot Chicken and the Star Wars RC specials. Disney+ content, maybe?

vncredleader likes this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I am very skeptical that Detours will ever see the light of day. I think the sort of humor in it was closer to what Lucas liked than would pass the current regime, and even Lucas seemed somewhat hesitant about it near the end of his reign, going from comments of some of the people involved. And I think a lot of the intended appeal of it is being covered by Resistance or the various YouTube shorts. (And incidentally if any of it does actually ever get released, that's what I would expect it to take the form of, edited into short YouTube clips.)

What I think is most likely to get used from it, if anything actually does end up getting used for it, are any original characters who might have been created and could conceivably be adapted for canonical works. It was supposed to show Leia as having decoys/handmaidens of her own, right? That's pretty much the only thing about it I remember. I could see that being an idea that could be recycled (especially if the idea comes from Sabe). Or potential Senator Jar Jar stuff. The stuff where Palpatine and Vader were stand-ins for Michael Scott and Dwight, maybe not.

Beyond that I feel like the sort of more general humor that's in vogue now, even by the creators of Detours, is very different than it was back in 2009. I mean, just compare Seth MacFarlane's approach to parodying Star Trek with Orville vs. his approach to the Family Guy Star Wars specials. Of course, I guess Robot Chicken did do a Rogue One episode last year.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm still confused why there was a small mustachioed Cad Bane. Also why Ackbar was small. But not all the characters were so short, standing on tables. Just... some of them. Maybe that was part of the plot.

These difficult questions keep me up at night.

16. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    I feel like maybe Detours was pitched as closer to Robot Chicken but kept getting dialed back to less snarky and more family friendly until it was -- and I think this is the kicker -- almost completely redundant to the ongoing Lego SW stuff. The released scenes pretty much play like Lego SW shorts minus the brick jokes.

17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Detour never ceases to fascinate me. Not even in a so bad its good way, but rather cause I actually thought it seemed decent enough and so it is like that episode of a show you missed as a kid and are trying to track down years later.

18. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    An article said this show is composed of 8 episodes each with a 45 minute run-time. If true, its only 360 minutes but that's good enough for me. Quick and exciting!

19. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
  20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I have high hopes for this series, but I really wish that the "remember this character from the OT" nostalgia fanservice stops with Skippy. Bossk and IG-88 were enough if you ask me. I can understand cameos from big galactic 'players' like Mon Mothma for example, but when watching the show I want to get the feeling that it really takes place in a vast galaxy.

21. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    To be fair, this is presumably just a random R5 unit that Favreau's chosen to highlight in the same way he posted a pic of the ice-cream maker prop; doesn't mean it'll be featured, or anything other than a background prop. And there are also reports that it isn't IG-88, either, but another droid of his model.

22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    To be fair, IG-88 and Bossk are supposed to be big deal bounty hunters.

vncredleader, Mia Mesharad and Gamiel like this.
  23. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Alongside Episode IX, The Mandalorian has also wrapped filming, according to a Tweet that has now been deleted. Here's a screenshot, and the Tweeted photo is still online. It's assumed it was deleted because there's a naughty word on the helmet, so we'll probably get more official confirmation soon.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Did Dave draw a Mando on the Mando helmet on the left? Wheels within wheels!

25. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Celebration panel announced

starfish and Sinrebirth like this.