main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Mandalorian (Jon Favreau SW Live Action show) - Now featuring former Man in DeLorean

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What’s the time frame on Bloodline? I’m thinking we have 15 years between Aftermath and Bloodline to explore, so yeah, definitely.

I would also like to see something between TPM and AOTC. I’m not sure we have anything other than the Anakin/Obi-Wan comics for that era.

my kind of scum likes this.
  2. StormTrooperPrecision

StormTrooperPrecision Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2017

This is not a misogynistic remark in the slightest. It's simply commentary on, what I consider to be, a futile attempt by Lucasfilm to pander to a demographic that has shown resistance to their marketing efforts. **RELAX EVERYONE I THINK WOMEN CAN DO ANYTHING MEN CAN** Is anybody really willing to argue, however, that their attempts to double their market(i.e. drawing in that 50% of the population which has been uninterested historically) aren't blatant? I mean come on it's just observation for crying out loud. If what I posted constitutes an attack then I'd say you have codified a (false) equivalence between discourse/dissenting opinion and "attacks". If, after reviewing my post you still consider it to be harmful in any way do us both a favor and delete my profile.

How to speak marshmellow: "I disagree with you" = "I am a sexist bigot"

3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    What's more problematic are your citations for demographics that... really don't reflect the actual demographics we know to exist. You seem to be basing your ideas on a false pretence. Women like, and always have liked, Star Wars.

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    There’s plenty of female SW fans, you obtuse dweeb. Maybe you don’t know any in person because geek fan culture is male dominated and usually not a comfortable or welcoming place for women?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dissenting opinions are fine -- it's bigotry disguised as facts (e.g., 90% male audiences for SW) that's the problem. The follow-up "how to speak marshmellow [sic]" indeed speaks volumes.

But sure, if you're unwilling to examine your own misconceptions, we can fast forward this and save us all a lot of trouble.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Okay, I'm going to stipulate that everything you've said is true.

Now.

Why so bitter?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “Uninterested historically”

[face_laugh]

Jeff_Ferguson, Ghost, Stymi and 3 others like this.
  8. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    No female character, apart from Rey in TFA, fall into this stereotype.

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also people do realize that they're still owned by Disney right? Disney, who has a big chunk of it's fanbase that's made up of. *gasp* women and young girls.

Also one of the most successful genre films of this year just so happened to have starred a female lead. Men weren't "recoiling in horror" from going to see that film (I saw it three times myself).

EDIT: Not even Rey fits that stereotype either.

10. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Well, I don't remember her saying as much, but she is a Mary Sue character by any definition of the word. She even takes the place of established characters with other people that just meet her (Leia hugging her instead of Chewie at the end, for instance). It's terrible writing and does not bode well unless Rian Johnson pulls a 180 on the character. Leia didn't need to be as strong or stoic or be instantly loved by people encountering her. If SW could do better female characters 40 years ago, you as a creator and writer, are doing something wrong.

SpecForce Trooper and Ulicus like this.
  11. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Let's not have this super tired argument right now.

12. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    So is Yoda a Mary Sue of Obi-Wan? Is Qui-Gon? Is Padmé of Leia? It's a generational series, of course characters are going to fill the archetypes of the previous generation. J.J. himself has said he dropped the ball with the hug thing, but it's still reasonable that Leia and Rey would have a connection in that moment. Plus the story's about her just as it was Luke -- and it's not much different from Leia comforting him over Ben's death, when really he should have been comforting her for the death of her entire planet.

Star Wars is a classic example of storytelling that existed above a lot of its contemporaries even 40 years ago, and codified a lot of the tropes it used. Writing isn't an evolution dependant on the passage of time. Star Wars was exemplary, and successful in part because of the context it was released in, so it's not unfair to say later films just aren't able to match what it achieved.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't know what you mean by a "Mary Sue of". That's not what a Mary Sue is. It has nothing to do with archetypes.

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah that's called an "archetype." A "Mary Sue" has a completely different definition attached to them.

15. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Yes, I was responding to Tzizvvt's suggestion that she's a Mary Sue because she's taking the place of established characters, so I was trying to point out other characters who "replace" earlier characters/archetypes, but possibly badly-worded.

16. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    Anywaaaaaaaaay...

Star Wars! I hope this one has lightsabers. :D

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah but they're called laser swords now.

18. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    This changes everything!

Senator Wan and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  19. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    If you can't see how what you said wasn't just misogynistic, but incredibly misogynistic, then you're a lost cause. And even if you're right about SW fan demographics (you're not), you also make the false assumption that the "90% male audience" mostly just wants to see male leads and male heroes and prefer the women to be, well, "chicks for guys to canoodle."

20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Well, it's not the only aspects of her character, there's stuff like knowing things and having skills other main characters should either know by now or struggled on-screen to master. This simple list comparing the two young, on-a-journey leads from different parts of the same saga, is a nice cliff-notes version of what I mean. Note that another modern SW lead like Jyn Erso does not fall into the same pitfalls as the writing for Rey did. And she had only one film to go through a character journey.

Despite his flaws, he pointed out some problems with the writing and marketing of "strong, female characters" that's prevalent in Hollywood productions these days.

DelRiego likes this.
  21. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Complaining that a new female character in a new film is a Mary Sue really gets my goat. Do you have any idea, ANY IDEA, how poorly women have been served in film through the years, especially in science fiction? The vast, vast majority of films have male leads. Who can do anything.
    The ‘80’s had major testosterone fuelled movies by the bucket load, females were secondary characters in those while the males could do just about anything.
    There are a sizeable chunk of films that currently have female leads who can do just about everything. There are still a lot of films where the males can do everything.
    No one complains about the male led films.
    Every female led film, every one (possibly bar Wonder Woman) gets tainted with this Mary Sue crap.

Grow up

22. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Are you seriously comparing action schlock from the 80s to character-driven stories like SW? People generally watch 80s action knowing they're cheesy, not for seeing deep character exploration or development. I think you're creating false equivalence between writing characters meant to develop over time with one-shot action stars who's only job is delivering one-liners and trying not to stand too close to explosion rigs on a set.

23. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    So what do ya'll think of Star Trek: Discovery? We seem to have a similar situation on our hands with this new show.

24. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Enough with your diversity agenda.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

25. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Pretty sure the mods won't appreciate this thread hosting the 1081261649124th Mary Sue debate.