main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Mandalorian (Jon Favreau SW Live Action show) - Now featuring former Man in DeLorean

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think Disney is weirdly unaware of the Internet's existence.

Jedi Ben, kalzeth and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    weekly drops are a way to maintain subscriptions instead of people doing a 7 day free trail and dropping it after finishing Mando. But personally, I watch shows weekly anyway, even when a whole season drops, I just enjoy the TeeVee episodic format more that way as Our Forefathers Intended it. however, the fact that Mando S1 is done and dusted and doing weekly drops in the UK is especially befuddling. But by all means, I hope Disney+ keeps the weekly format for their series in the future, I'm terrible at binge watching.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Ashley hasn't had a live action acting credit in a *very* long time. She's a voice actress. I would bet that Ashley does Ahsoka's voice, though. Rosario fits adult Ahsoka's stature, Ashley is 5'2".

IG: @jedisufism

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  5. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
  6. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Fine, I hope she doesn't get the role because she's allegedly a violent transphobe. That make you feel better?

Vialco and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I know it's popular to condemn actors for alleged aligations. but let the courts decide if guilty or not.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  8. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Innocent until proven guilty is a legal concept. I am not the United States criminal justice system. I am a person with an opinion. Whether or not some arbitrarily chosen group of 12 other people with opinions come to the same conclusion or not is irrelevant.

Vialco likes this.
  9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    They have more information and knowledge about what actually happened, of course; we don't, which is one of the big problems with the court of public opinion.

10. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
  11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    With such a large role coming her way, Rosario Dawson needs to address the allegations. Keeping silent about them would be tantamount to admitting that they're true, and it would cast a shadow over her, the character of Ahsoka, and the entire show, for the entirety of the second season. "Allegedly" isn't a the rock-solid defense some people seem to think it is when the accused makes no effort to deny it.

Daneira likes this.
  12. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I may not like the political views of actors or singers but it doesn't mean I'm gonna stop watching or listening to them.

Besides, some of the more activist part of the LGBTQI+ community really really really need to stop being hypocritical (then they wouldn't throw out people who are like them but disagree with their somewhat radical desires).

13. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    I accidentally deleted my post while editing it...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Were it only a difference in political views, I wouldn't have made a stink about it.

This is just wrong, pure and simple. Is it now radical to think that you shouldn't hurt people?

Vialco, fett 4, Outsourced and 2 others like this.
  15. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Of course that is wrong. But it could be a completely fabricated story.

16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    "alleges" huh. So why are you assuming?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  17. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I think the point of that line was that the alleged act would be more than just "political views" (as Noash wrote) -- it would be assistance/participation in physical assault. It's a response to that bit of wording in particular, as it comes across as an understatement of the allegations.

If I am wrong in my interpretation, then I apologize to Daneira for that, but in that case I'll submit it as my own comment on Noash's phrasing -- yes, they are allegations, of which we don't know the reality of, but of something more severe than a difference in opinion, and I don't think it's wise to reduce them to that.

18. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    If it's fabricated, then speaking out about it should be easy on Dawson's part. "It could be false" isn't a defense against the fact that it's a very serious allegation, and that the very idea of it casts a long shadow over her potentially playing Ahsoka. Her choice to remain silent on it beyond a vague and generic statement from her family's lawyer in the five months since it was made public does not look good. Sure, it could be false, but there's a cloud of uncertainty hanging over it that can't be ignored. Not when the claim is as severe as it is.

19. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Even if Dawson made a statement, that cloud of uncertainty isn’t going to go away. People have, by and large, already made up their minds whether she’s innocent or guilty.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ashley Eckstien talkin' bout Mando and Ahsoka. (ie. she doesn't know anything about it)

“The truth is, I am not involved in The Mandalorian. I can’t answer questions that I have not been a part of. I am an actress and have performed in all types of mediums; live action film/television, theater, voice-over, hosting and it has been my dream for 14 years to continue to play Ahsoka Tano in all forms. I will continue to be grateful for opportunities to help create stories for Ahsoka Tano and I am always happy to see her legacy continued. I am only one member of a tremendously talented team of people that it takes to bring Ahsoka Tano to life. The final decisions for Ahsoka are not mine to make and I cannot comment on something that I truly know nothing about.”

Daneira likes this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ^Said through gritted teeth.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Have just found this out and am hugely annoyed by it. Their screwing around like this is only encouraging one thing - my disengagement from SW.

I'm amazed by how arrogant they have been on this. Screw 'em.

Vialco and fett 4 like this.
  24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I think that is pretty exaggerated. We have only new characters on back water worlds we have never visited before. Death Watch and the Dark Saber, along with a smidge of dialog from Cara Dune, are the only existing plot points. There is very little contradiction.

The EU managed to handle the Boba Fett/Fenn Shysa stuff made wonky by AotC. I think The Mandalorian Season 1 would be downright easy comparatively.

Anyway, writing is on the wall for Season 2. I don’t hold out much hope that any ambiguity the show has had will continue.

25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...-the-scenes-making-of-jon-favreau-dave-filoni
    When Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni set about making the first live-action Star Wars TV series, they faced plenty of pressure and a myriad of challenges—including sky-high fan expectations. But rather than buckling, Favreau and Filoni decided to make the process of developing The Mandalorian just a little harder on themselves by choosing a laconic, almost entirely helmeted gunslinger as their protagonist—and not even Boba Fett, the laconic, helmeted gunslinger audiences were already familiar with. “At its core,” Favreau explained in a recent call with Vanity Fair, “we knew it was a gamble.”

Like any seasoned gambler, though, Favreau and Filoni also had an ace up their sleeves. “We had a guy in a mask,” said Favreau, “and we had a puppet.” An irresistible, green, Force-wielding puppet they named “the Child,” though the internet instantly christened it “Baby Yoda.”

“We could have adjusted if we felt that we had guessed wrong,” Favreau continued. “But we were pretty happy with the outcome.”

The idea for an adorable young “padawan” iteration of Frank Oz’s iconic, white-haired Jedi master came to Favreau early, as he was daydreaming possibilities for a project he might pitch to Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm. When he brought the idea to his friend Dave Filoni—who had worked for years both alongside George Lucas and then on his own as a mastermind behind the successful Star Wars animated series The Clone Wars and Rebels—Favreau couldn’t have known that he’d landed on maybe the one idea in all of the galaxy that might be off-limits.

Other than the brief appearance of a Yoda-esque character named Yaddle in the Star Wars prequel trilogy, Yoda had been a unique figure in the wide wide world of Star Wars storytelling. His green, bat-eared species doesn’t even have a name—which is very unusual for a franchise that loves to label every critter in sight. “I had thought, even back on The Clone Wars: I bet young Yoda is something that would come up at one point,” Filoni recalled. He even mentioned the notion of a “very, very young Yoda” to Lucas. “But there’s always a hesitation around it,” he continued “We try not to reveal things about where Yoda’s from and what he is, exactly.”

So, how did Favreau manage to break this unspoken rule of the Star Wars universe? For that, the director credits Filoni’s long history with Lucas. Though the Star Wars creator is no longer in charge of the universe he dreamed up, Filoni and Favreau grew up as die-hard Star Wars fans themselves. They were hardly likely to embark on something that Lucas might disapprove of: “[We’re] always keeping an open door to George because this is a character that’s very beloved to him,” Filoni said. “He comes by the set whenever he wants to know what’s going on. We fill him in and we want to hear his perspective.” Years of collaboration allow him to anticipate how Lucas will react to any twists in the Mandalorian’s journey: “We understand how to collaborate with him in a way where it never gets too far afield from something he would be comfortable with.”

In January of this year, after the Child was already a smashing pop-cultural success, Favreau posted a blurry photo of Lucas on The Mandalorian set cradling the fuzzy green puppet. It was a benediction, of sorts, from the creator which is an invaluable currency in the fractious and divided fandom.

Of course, arguments in the Star Wars fandom are nothing new, as Favreau pointed out. “The people who make this show are also Star Wars fans of differing opinions,” he said. And while it may be accurate to say that the Child’s overpowering cuteness is what led to its wild popularity, the one thing Favreau was hoping to avoid was a puppet sidekick that was too cute.

“I was worried about what we called ‘Bleep Syndrome,’” said Favreau, referencing a sickly sweet animated sidekick from the 1970s Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space. Bleep Syndrome was Favreau’s watchword against concept designs and merchandising plans that sought to round off the quirks of a creature he wanted to keep a little weird and off-putting.

“We wanted to make sure the Child wasn’t just going to be a comic relief,” explained Favreau—another attempt to honor Lucas’s approach to that galaxy far, far away: “What George had established with Star Wars was that no matter how fantastical these characters are, how weird they looked, the characters within the world always treated them as normal citizens of the world.” Lucas had a knack, Favreau said, for making characters like R2-D2 “just cute enough” that every Star Wars fan might believe they were the only one who found a “trashcan with one eye on it” cute.

But avoiding the cutesy trap was something of an uphill battle for Favreau, who found that the classic “Disney proportions”—think big round eyes and cuddly features—kept being applied to a character he wanted to keep as weird as possible. “All the drawings originally were very cute,” Favreau recalled. “Even with the merchandising, they were always trying to soften the rough edges on him. We really tried to look at how much we could ugly up all the different individual features.” Favreau and Filoni insisted the Child have “weird little hairs growing out of him.” They rejected designs that attempted to pink up his little cheeks, or make his teeth cuter. They opted, instead to make the teeth jagged and sharp—all the better to suck down a living frog.

The Mandalorian team also used sound design to keep the Child as weird as can be, opting for creature noises instead of the classic coos of a baby. The frog-swallowing in season one may only be the beginning of the “gross things” the show will let the Child do in order to underline the idea that in the end, he’s still an animal. “It’s like a stray dog or having a little baby alligator or something,” Favreau said. Then again, a baby alligator probably never sold this many toys.