main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian on Blu-Ray/DVD!?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Binary_Sunset, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Mando Season 1, if it is released, likely won't be released for a while. For example, ST has an 18 month Netflix exclusivity window before the home media releases. It'll be the same for Mando most likely, if not longer. Its basically the only thing really pulling in new subs. After some of the marvel shows are out they may give it a release, but its too important to give up right now.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This. Same for TCW

3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I also believe that to be the case. It does make sense from Disney's perspective, TBF. Still, I expect there will be a home release one day for both.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  4. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    Some day yes. At this point, I'd be fine if they waited and just did it as a complete series boxed set once the show is finished. That might even make the most sense from a business standpoint. Wait until it's done and the show will no longer be pulling in any real subscriber base on its own merit and then release all seasons together with the gallery behind the scenes series and put it all in a collectible box. In this era of dwindling home video sales, that's kind of the play anyway. Make it collectible more than making it about owning the content as that's always going to be readily available on D+.

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Season 1 will probably be released around the time Season 2 airs. With a big sticker on the front of the box saying 'SEASON 2 NOW AVAILABLE ONLY ON *DISNEY+*'

Strilo likes this.
  6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I hope so. I will totally buy this on Blu Ray. Hopefully 4k.

7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think you're right. The show is a hook for people to sign up to the platform, and they want to hold on to that hook for a while yet.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I will buy this on blu ray and then 4k and then replace both with the steelbook and then buy the special edition and then rebuy it as part of the boxset.

This is the way.

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think for the time being they want as many people as possible to continue logging in to Disney+. So they won't release TM on physical media. Also, if they set that precedent now, that could likely result in many people deciding to just wait for the physical media to come out instead of subscribing to Disney+. I'm sure at the end of the series they'll release it, but not any time soon.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  10. Justin Lee McFarland

Justin Lee McFarland Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2021
    The thing that confuses me is that Disney put Rebels out on blue ray as each season ended. But now they're withholding the Mandalorian for several seasons in a row. Mmmm, I sense a disturbance in the Force! I wonder if they listen to the Fans at all, or if Disney is more like a petulant child saying, "NO, Star Wars is OURS now! You don't need blue rays. Just give us your money every month forever."

Next to my name is a link to a petition to get the blue rays released. Feel free to add your names if you agree with it.
    Long-live the Skywalker family.

11. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I know this marks me as a real dinosaur, but I like having a physical copy at my disposal, of my real favorites. There is enormous convenience to streaming, digital copies, etc, but ultimately I feel you are at the mercy of the provider. Not like I think Amazon or Disney are going anywhere, so not saying it's rational, but....

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I just don't see it at least for now. Marvel Spiderman hasn't been released on DVD/Blue Ray, along with Hulk and the Agents of Smash, Marvel Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy cartoons series. You either buy it in itunes or some other platform of watch it on Disney plus. Same thing with amazon's Niko and the Sword of Light. I see this possibly being released later on with all the add ons and stuff like that. For Disney, this makes sense, keep bringing in customers to the Disney plus.

13. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    After the show ends, they might release a BluRay set.

14. Darth Derringer

Darth Derringer Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 1999
    When it comes to content coming from streaming services, you can kiss goodbye the days of 'owning' a season of episodes while the series is still running.

I'm not saying that there won't ever be Blu-rays of your favorite shows on streaming services, but don't hold your breath waiting. A hit show like The Mandalorian is a HUGE DEAL to a subscription service, particularly a newer one like Disney+. They would be stupid to 'sell their content on the cheap' when their real value to the company is as a subscription generator.

So I suspect it will be many years after the series has concluded and is no longer tracking as one of its major subscription drivers before Disney will decide to go that route in an effort to generate more revenue.

2Cleva likes this.
  15. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    This isn't a "Disney" thing, it's the way the entire industry is rapidly moving, dictated by the market. It's not cool, it just... is. Physical media is on the way our because it doesn't sell like it used to, and that's going to continue to decline.

If you think it's bad for film and TV, try working in the music industry. DSPs like Spotify have literally made it impossible for artists to get paid anything, rendered physical media that's been around since way before BluRay or even VHS obsolete, and the artists they've diminished now have little choice but to suck up to the same people who basically took away any hope of making a livelihood.

That's way worse than streaming services like Disney+, where at least the creatives still get paid and there's still a fair amount of variety in the material.

16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Perhaps a box set of the entire series, but only well after it concludes. Similarly, Netflix has done disc releases for some of its biggest films and series.

17. Darth Derringer

Darth Derringer Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 1999
    Be it various types of software or Blu-Ray discs, it seems to me that the industry is moving from 'selling' their products to 'leasing' them. The Mandalorian strikes me as an interesting 'test case' in this new world of shows produced for a streaming service. When, if ever, these services release them will tell us a lot about the future of streaming content.

Will it be more profitable in the long run for Disney to keep Mandalorian fans subscribed in order to rewatch episodes whenever they want? Or will there come a time when it's okay to sell them box sets? I don't think any of us know the answer to those questions yet.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I'm with you there. I feel weird about not owning things. I'm not saying this is going to happen, but in theory if Disney really wanted to they could pull The Mandalorian and we would never see it again. I dunno. I'd rather have it on my shelf.

19. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    Maybe only when the series is over, this will happen.

20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Different company, series currently streaming...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So the reason that it's still streaming carries little weight. Disney seem to be cutting their noses off to spite their faces, denying themselves revenue from people who have no intention of purchasing Disney+ for whatever reason. It doesn't seem to stop Disney/LFL from releasing a new version of the Skywalker Saga on Blu Ray every 12 to 18months with just the box art changing.

21. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Good point, Django Fett.
    There is no way I'm subbing for D+ anytime soon if ever, but if they released The Mandalorian S1-2 on blu ray I'd buy it today.

Django Fett likes this.
  22. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Put me in as another dinosaur lol! A good example of what your talking about is The X-files (my favorite show of all time). A few years ago Netflix got the series but took it down after one year. Everyone had 365 days to watch 218 episodes and 2 movies. Luckily I have all the blurays but im a super-fan. Since no other streaming service has it anyone new to the series has to buy the increasingly hard to find discs. Who wants to spend $30 on a season of a show they've never seen? Not me. With streaming we are at the mercy of the companies' decision makers.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    TCF-1138 and Reepicheep775 like this.
  23. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Not exactly good examples. Cobra Kai will no longer be released on blu-ray, and frankly, there’s far more examples of this not happening than there of studios releasing their streaming content. Almost every Netflix original is not on home media. They want you to subscribe, and stay subscribed.

2Cleva likes this.
  24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Daredevil and Punisher were both released here in the UK, both Netflix originals. Some Netflix originals haven't been released but may be it's because they don't have an audience that would watch the show on Netflix and still go out and purchase the Blu-Ray. Star Wars does have that audience, some fans own every release of every film and will continue buying the latest Star Wars release.

Streaming is one thing, but where is the tie-in novels, cross sections and visual guides? The multi-media products that have become the norm over the years since TPM have disappeared and that includes special edition DVDs and Blu-Rays, these were huge sellers for LFL

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    The marvel Netflix shows were co-financed. Most of the products that you can purchase on home media from Netflix were co-financed by other studios and have been released due to those agreements. They have released a few prestige products such as the Irishman, or marriage story, but their shows and films that they fully own rarely get released otherwise. There were far more eyeballs on The Witcher than the marvel shows according to streaming data, and that will almost definitely not get a blu-ray release.

I don’t really know what you mean as far as your second point. Everything has had visual guides up until the mandalorian, and even then, that one has been announced. We’re in the middle of a global pandemic. Lots of products haven’t been releasing as scheduled, especially in the publishing sector. The art of Mando season 1 released in November and now goes for a crap-ton on the secondary market. There is a tie-in novel, as well as a junior novelization. The toys have released but sell quickly due to limited stock because of covid production issues. They’ve already released tons of blu-ray special editions. Several new steelbooks went up and sold out over Christmas at places like Zaavi.

More than that, there also is just less tie-in novels, because they actually want to tell the story on-screen. Why have a novel about Mando’s past when you could have flashbacks? Why lock story beats in through the books when you have a show that could be on for another ten years? There’s a reason the publishing section is focusing on the high republic. Freedom to tell stories without intersecting what other creatives want to tell.

2Cleva likes this.