main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 1 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 29, 2019.

1. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Damn this is so good. In addition to lightsabers, Jedi, Sith, etc, this is the Star Wars I've wanted to see. Places, locations in the backround, seedy drinking establishments. I think this series will satisfy my Star Wars Underworld itch.

I love;

• The variety in terrain on different planets - very much like Rogue One in this way with its many 'distinct' planetary terrains; this also includes the 'civilized' parts in settlements and establishments. It makes the galaxy feel like a bigger place.
    • That in one aspect of his life (the Bounty Hunting, fighting, flying, etc) he kicks ass, but in other aspects such as learning to ride the beast, it takes him a little time - in other words, he is not a superhero in everything he does straight off the bat. He has his great points and he has stuff he has to work on to - just like the rest of us. From that one small aspect, it makes The Mandalorian 'relatable' (if that is the right word to use. Not as a Bounty Hunter, but from the perspective that he has his flaws too.
    • I love the characterisation and humour of the Jawas. As much as everything else was great, I love the we got to see this side to the Jawas - possibly even my favourite parts of the second episode. And the humour was not slapstick and over the top. It felt real for the scenes of The Mandalorian scaling the Sandcrawler. I actually found myself genuinely laughing at the Jawa interactions. Great stuff directors.
    • The inside of the Razorcrest and the small carbon freezing facility - everything needed to be the best Bounty Hunter in the galaxy.
    • Yodaling (or whatever everyone is calling it). With the scene of it using the Force, it now makes me wonder how much it takes out of a Force User in using the Force. We've seen what happened to Luke and we saw what happened with Qui-Gon fighting Maul in Episode 1 when he leapt abound Padme's ship and was physically drained with the encounter. With this 'baby/child' using the Force, it knocked him for six and was out like a light for some time.
    • The inside of the Mandalorian Enclave; in particular, the foundry. They sure prize that Beskar Iron - and no wonder why when it deflects blaster bolts.
    • The fact that there seems to be a greater story to be told; not only with the history of this particular Mandalorian himself, but also hints of a greater war in the past that maybe Mandalore ended up losing. Is this leading up to a future trilogy with these guys in once again rising to the top?
    • IG 11 - that is so cool how that thing can move in so many ways in eliminating threats. Shame it had to go, but it puts things into perspective in how good IG 88 must have been

Also with the music, do I detect a few bars of 'Rocky' music when Apollo Creed is training Rocky on the beach? If there is, very applicable with Carl Weathers being in The Mandalorian. Just a couple of intro bars evoked that Rocky scene for me.

So much to love about this and we're only two episodes in. Can't wait for more.

2. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Just perfect so far, only issue is that it's too short.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would rather have us wanting more than wanting less.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. To me, they just seem to be the perfect length. Like the best short stories.

5. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I actually think two different factions of the "left behind" empire are after the yodaling, one is werner herzog and the other is going to be giancarlo esposito's character

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I kinda wish BD-1 was voiced by BD Wong.

7. Davrum

Davrum Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2015
    I thought the same thing. It seems like exactly the kind of playful detail Jon and/or Dave would love to have in their show.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I hear that too, though it just strikes me as classic adventurous Western music.

9. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I'm reminded a bit of HBO, circa 1983. Jump to about :38. You'll almost think it's the Razor Crest flying at you, until you realize it's not. Although, by me saying it's not the Razor Crest, you won't think it is at all.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    chrcharcor2 and Generational Fan like this.
  10. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I like the episode length, once you hit an hour or more, they tend to drag on and include a bit too much filler - these don't do that. I also like the music, it doesn't feel like cut-and-paste Star Wars, which I appreciate. They're really creating a unique beast with this new medium. I think this series will answer the prayers of some fans that didn't get pulled in by recent movies. A friend of mine said this is what did it for her, and her faith in SW was renewed. That alone makes me happy for anyone that is disenfranchised. I personally like all the Disney era movies, so this series is just the cherry on top of the cake.

11. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Yep, I agree. I can hear a few bars (Mandalorian music) in there too. Its that same "trumpet" sound; I think its a trumpet - sure sounds like one. A very familiar/similar tune across all 3 - Rocky beach scene, this HBO intro and The Mandalorian.

For the musically inclined and talented among us, I wonder if they could analyse the music bars and see if the note and instrument arrangement are virtually the same.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I also don't think the episodes of anything need to be an hour or more, although I keep getting this horrible feeling we're in store for a 20 minute episode (with like 3 minutes of credits) but I hope that doesn't occur. I wouldn't mind one to hit the 42 minute mark at least so we can have one episode the length of a broadcast TV drama.

So, from what I remember, apparently Favreau wrote episode 1 and 2 on his own and even though it's a TV series, it is kind of a complete story in there and a pretty focused narrative. Guy gets bounty, accomplishes it, over. That's kind of an ending. Episode 3 will be interesting because they have to actually establish more of "the world" and what the bigger story of the season will be about.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Favreau wrote the whole season, no?

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Filoni wrote Chapter 5 and Christopher Yost and Famuyiwa wrote Chapter 6.

15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I wonder if they'll have a Visual Dictionary for this series...? [face_thinking] Love those books...

16. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    By "Favreau wrote it" I always kinda assumed that didn't necessarily mean alone-alone. More of a "Story by" thing for the entire season (arcs, journey, tone, lore), with some of the lore stuff bolstered by Dave, and then Jon writing some episodes in full. But then having input by the other directors in a writing sense on other episodes.

Sort of like the OT is "George's story", and he sure had a big say in the scripting, but he wasn't the whole picture.

GregMcP likes this.
  17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    That's what I'm waiting for. However, I have a feeling we may be waiting a while. Reason being, it will be multiple seasons (most probably). So I can't see them releasing one for every season. Maybe one big one for when it’s all finished? I think I would prefer that.

RetropME likes this.
  18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    A visual dictionary-type thing for Season 1 seems appropriate; the show will have more details than an average feature and there would be some cool lore to fill in like the VDs always do. And it'd be smart to do one while the show is still fresh -- they did those kind of books for the early seasons of TCW but not at the end after it was perceived to have run its course and been "cancelled".

GregMcP likes this.
  19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Certainly this series has as much style and design invested in it as any of the movies.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I love to get some books of the mandalorian after this first season is over. Maybe some backstories to his tme during the clone wars and during the dark times under the rise of the empire.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Avnar likes this.
  21. Boba's Fettish

Boba's Fettish Jedi Knight

Apr 21, 2015
    The guy that writes the score (Ludwig Goransson) also scored the Creed/Rocky spin-off films. I would not be surprised that some of the music used in The Mandalorian are unused cues from the last project he did before Mandalorian - Creed II (2018).

22. Random Stormtrooper

Random Stormtrooper Jedi Knight

Jan 18, 2016
    The Mandalorian is looking good so far

23. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    No way, the only movie that's allowed to share theme music with Rocky movies is the masterpiece that is the animated Transformers movie.

RetropME and Boba's Fettish like this.
  24. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Aaand now I have "You got the touch" stuck in my head right before going back to bed to catch up on sleep I missed waiting for the 3rd episode.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'll take a guess and say next episode we see Mando return to Arvala-7 to retrieve IG-11. He reprograms him to protect Baby Yoda instead of trying to kill him. Maybe Kuiil will join too since it would be for a noble reason this time. At some point they probably meet up with Cara and Mando hires her.

Bor Mullet likes this.