main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 2 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 28, 2019.

1. LucasFiloniFan1

LucasFiloniFan1 Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2020
    That was more him spitballing ideas and giving his usual shpeel Middle Earth talk.

They praise the “shrinking of the GFFA” because they like this Star Wars universe to be all connected and not disparate from each other, like it’s in an alternate universe. That’s why Dave made The World Between Worlds, if you saw his video featurette on that episode of Rebels.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    We know that KK talks to him about all the movies and story ideas. and it his idea to have Leia as a jedi that TROS used and was hinted at in TLJ. And he knew the story Luke would take before RJ made the movie. He approves of all the stories inside star wars, he's an important person inside the brain trust of LucasFilm.

TadoFett likes this.
  3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    And being a majority opinion does not make it fact. It remains an opinion. Attempting to present it as a fact does not make it a fact. I do not care if others share my opinion. I don't care if you share my opinion. Here's the nice thing about an opinion, it's all yours. Will people agree? Sure. Will people disagree? Sure. But regardless of what others may think, it's still all yours. And nice try at attempting to invalidate my opinion solely because it doesn't line up with yours. But you do you. If your opinion lines up with the majority, good for you, but it doesn't mean other's opinions don't matter, and it doesn't make your opinion a fact. Hell, I don't even care if you want to blindly follow the majority opinions. You can do what you like. It still doesn't invalidate anyone else's opinions, or make your opinion to be fact.

cwustudent and TadoFett like this.
  4. LucasFiloniFan1

May 21, 2020
    Yeesh. Sometimes, Star Wars fans can be tough to be around, let alone have conversations or be friends with.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope Filoni dosen't go to overboard with fan service and too mutch connective tissue

Avnar likes this.
  6. LucasFiloniFan1

May 21, 2020
    I think it’ll just be the three Clone Wars characters (Ahsoka, Rex, and Bo-Katan), Sabine from Rebels, Boba Fett and Cobb Vanth.

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    As long as it's not overboard and makes complete sense. like Rebels did it in season 2.

RetropME likes this.
  8. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Any connective tissue between stories can be subtle, thematic, character-led. The galaxy can feel connected because of its lived-in atmosphere and beautifully "real" alien worlds. The sandbox of the galaxy can grow because of new creations, inviting imagination.

If it's always about connecting "plot", the characters, themes, etc become secondary and limited, and the galaxy becomes brashly, mechanically connected. It feels "forced" and makes the galaxy a smaller sandbox that doesn't feel like it's "living", and full of possible adventures.

I hope Mando 2 continues its own story without locking itself in to other plots and other character's baggage.

IMHO.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Maybe because they haven’t seen the second season yet and see no evidence of that shrinking. In fact, confirmation of Bo-Katan and Sabine seems to suggest that season 2 will be expanding the story into a broader Mandalorian and ex-Imperial conflict. People don’t simplistically fall into expanded vs. shrunken galaxy camps. For me? I really like a large galaxy feel, and prefer not to have characters constantly bumping into each other. But I also like it when a world feels connected - otherwise, different films and TV shows can feel like they happened in different franchises. And so my interest is in a feeling of realism and verisimilitude. And to me, that requires a perfect mix of vast galaxy, and stories that subtly (rather than mechanically) intersect. I trust that Favreau and Filoni are on the same page about that, as they were in season 1.

Also, since you agree that they handled things so well in season 1, why are you so absolutely convinced that they’ll totally mess up in season 2?

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  10. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    People have trouble thinking outside of binary linguistic structures due to their educational experiences. The galaxy can only be small or large to them, without being able to perceive the shared space between the two. For example, a story can connect to relevant characters that make sense to appear in it while also introducing new elements we haven't seen before.

11. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    I feel pretty confident they are going for an MCU type thing with live action Star Wars series moving forward. Ashoka will be the Iron Man figure, bridging series between Mando, Kenobi, Cassian, and her own spinoff. The other three show leads will function as the other Avengers. I expect tons of characters like the Kryze sisters and Boba Fett and Maul and Mon Mothma and Rex etc etc to have all sorts of crossover appearances. Just my speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I agree with what you and @DannyD say about connectivity between stories because it has to feel natural (and not forced) to be be successful with me.

And it doesnt even have to be a character to make this work for me. I think the Mandalorian has done a fantastic job in subtlely portraying how incompotent the New Republic is - which flows naturally as a storyline into how The First Order was able to establish itself without the New Republic even firing a shot. Heck, even one of the main characters is an ex-soldier of the organisation before it and who has turned her back on what it has become.

So for me, this is a great example of how something is not forced, makes the galaxy still very large and gives familiaral connectivity. And plays a big part in The Mandalorian's story.

So with these new known characters coming on board, I believe that certain aspects of them will be used to serve our Mando's story and character arc. Take Ahsoka Tano for instance, I believe that her character will ultimately be used in respect of the end goal of the task set for him by his leader. I predict that the Mando will fail in finding the name of the Yodaling's species and the planet they come from. But all of his clues will eventually lead him to Ahsoka and she will take the Yodaling off his hands (somewhere towards the end of series 2) and will become the Yodaling's master. That would be using Ahsoka's character in a natural and meaningful way, just like how they used Vader and Tarkin in R1.

So there is the connectivity that is natural and meaningful in how it fits into our Mando's storyline. It still makes the galaxy feel big, but connected in story too.

And I think that is how the other characters will be used to. I trust these guys (Favreau, Filoni and co.), they are damn good at what they do.

Bor Mullet, DannyD and TadoFett like this.
  13. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It's a trust thing for me too, and they've earned it by putting the story and the way it's told first. On paper Season 2 sounds stuffed with fanservice, but on paper, Season 1 started with Boba Fett and IG-88 rescuing Yoda from Jabba's sail barge thugs, before Boba fought Bossk, some Jawas, and a Reek. So I'm good with it for now.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Connectivity is like any other storytelling technique. It can either be done well or poorly. But for this kind of narrative, it is at least a necessary component, unlike, say, art house cinema. But Star Wars is popular genre, so connectivity should be a strong feature.

The world feels small when you make unnecessary, artificial connections. Rogue One was guilty of this.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I mean even Filoni is guilty of this with Rebels, making the galaxy feel smaller, i mean how many of the movies characters did the ghost team meet with.

godisawesome and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’ll concede that the Evazan cameo was unnecessary, but that was such a tiny fraction of a moment in a two hour plus film, that it barely registers. And people who didn’t know who he was just think he was a ruffian on the street that ratcheted up the tension of the place. Rogue One is hardly guilty of this issue. Nearly all of its connectivity is narratively and logically completely organic, given that it takes place immediately before A New Hope, and follows the exact same players (Rebellion vs. Empire).

I agree. But the Ghost team were a key cell of a pretty small Rebellion, so those were pretty logical connections. That said, it was a little too much sometimes.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It’s not just a matter of how the connections are implemented by themselves, it’s also a matter of how good the individual entries are themselves apart from it - give me a good enough movie or episode and I’ll maybe grouse a bit about some of the connections having a minor impact, but it won’t drive me away from the material at all. The Evazan cameo earns an eye roll, but it’s an eye roll I’ve completely forgotten about by the time Vader goes Jason Vorhees on some Rebels, after Baz and Chirrut have done their emotional goodbye, and after K2 made me get teary-eyed when he has no face and limited emotional range in his voice. And while I don’t particularly care about something like Lando’s appearance in Rebels, Gar Saxon becoming a tether between comics and two different cartoons feels good.

I’d also say that overall quality can make or break “smallness” in a story world.

18. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Your post gets to the heart of why occasional smallness isn't the worst sin a narrative can commit. I personally don't find it much of a problem because I enjoy the general effort at connection, even when it's lazy or too arbitrary.

I know smallness bugs others a heck of a lot more than me. To me, as long as there's a balance between new worldbuilding (expansion) and connection ("smallness"), then I'm usually happy.

I should say though that I view connection also as a feature of worldbuilding.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The overall debate about how big a Galaxy should be is really familiar to comic book fans, especially in media adaptations, and it arguably shows how you want to try and make sure your execution gets done well above all else; you can have Slam Bradley show up in a Catwoman comic and reference looking like “that reporter fella in Metropolis” and if it’s a good story, it’s great!... but if you dedicate an entire comic to having Sandman and Norman Osborne be related to explain their similar hairstyles, that can get pretty stupid.

The issue gets a lot less prevalent whenever you’ve got good reasons for characters to interact... and oddly enough, I’d say that most of the Mandalorian cameos next season can make sense because they could all be tied to Mandalorian politics that Din could get involved in... and that’s if they don’t end up using flashbacks to make that work even better.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  20. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    yeah Darksaber (used as symbol to unite) and Bo Kotan implies that Mandalorians will make a real comeback in Galactic affairs in future. Bo Katan's appearances in all medium is always politics related.

By the time you go post IX it will be like 30 years later, that's a full generation, enough time for Mandalorians to rebuild and with another war popping up in ST, opens door for some more Mandalorian future foundlings too to increase numbers.

The massacre explains why they aren't talked about in OT and then ST is still too early for them. This show seems like it could set up a comeback for Mandalorians where they could be more prominent in future. .

it makes sense that he gets involved in the affairs of his dwindling people and the villain of the story Gideon was involved in said massacre.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Yeah, I think the inclusions made sense. But I think it also worked because for each case, the characters worked together for something and then went on to other things. So there's still a good sense of space among them because they only crossed paths on occasion.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The only cameo from the OT cast that felt out of place to me was Lando.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I enjoyed Lando on Rebels. I was actually fine with each individual crossover, it was more there were arguably too many. But with the connectivity on the rise in SW in general, I'd wager that future rewatches of Rebels will start to feel a lot more normal to SW as it's developing.

24. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I think if we had a few more seasons of Rebels, Lando and Leia may not seem too much. Didn't they appear in a single season?

One thing that helps is when some appearances are sufficiently spaced out. A a number of episodes even, may be enough.

Yes it helps, as @godisawesome says, when the episodes themselves are high quality and help to buffer any perceived feeling of smallness. But I would argue the opposite also applies: excellent connectivity can take place in or raise the quality of poor episodes and shows. Basically, what we're talking about is good storytelling and the many dimensions it may come from.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    But in Rebels, the main characters are part of a small, ragtag Rebel Alliance. So it’s not so world-breaking when they run into other members of that Alliance.

Vinylshadow likes this.