main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Dec 23, 2020.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I already assume that Grogu displays a different style of mental faculty development than a human being - his knowledge of healing, telekinesis, and general awareness of his surroundings (as sporadic as the latter can be) would imply that his memory and learning abilities work differently from human beings. Heck the fact that most versions of Yoda's species seem to still struggle with Basic syntax could imply that their communication segments of their brain may very well just develop differently than Humans.

TadoFett and TCF-1138 like this.
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Good point. Not talking about Grogu specifically, but I think that the ultimate Force User would not need to use a lightsaber at all.

TadoFett, DannyD and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    But haven’t we only heard one version of Yoda’s species talk?

TadoFett and Riv_Shiel like this.
  4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m running off of old Legends stuff as well, which doesn’t count anymore.

Still, Yoda being 900 years old and still speaking in his own curious syntax despite being at the heart of the Basic-favoring universe might hint at a genuine neurological difference in his species vs others.

TadoFett, Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I just like to point out that is not true as Yaddle now seems to speak normal basic in new high republic book. Like at certain age they can speak normal basic, maybe Yoda and Yaddle are just two different, ways for the species to act on.

godisawesome and TadoFett like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Maybe today has his species version of an accent

TadoFett likes this.
  7. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Watch we'll get a High Republic era movie and everyone speaks that way

TadoFett likes this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Grogu might be mixed between both Yoda and Yaddle.

TadoFett likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Did I literally get autocorrected to today lol from yoda

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I might be wrong here, but I don't think most post production will be affected by the strike, as post-prod workers belong to other unions (or, in the case of most VFX artists, no union), so shows already in the can, like Kenobi and Boba Fett, should release on schedule.

However, should they be delayed due to the strike then that's a good thing. Workers need safe and healthy working conditions.
    I've seen a shocking amount of Marvel fans throwing tantrums because their movies and shows might be delayed.
    Like, people, your entertainment is not as important as the workers' health.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    From what I have searched there are some post production people in the union, but most of its on film people (camera, crew etc) so it would effect Mando. At least initially. The problem is if other people strike in solidarity. That’s when the real delays will start

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    True, solidarity strikes are a possibility, and this might also be the perfect time for certain post production workers to unionize, so it might end up affecting shows that have finished photography as well.
    Mando is certainly going to be delayed though, as you said, as it’s still in the production phase.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t expect the strike to last that long. Hollywood just started up again. I don’t think they can sweat it out longer than a union can. I think by mid November the strike will be over with. Here’s hoping they can reach a deal by Monday and there is no need to strike

14. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    We'll see. Hopefully you're right, but considering the writers strike a few years ago, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if this turns into a longer affair. Hollywood is notorious for not wanting to pay for work after all.

15. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I think it is more likely that Yoda speaks an archaic form of Basic that was probably common in his formative years (compare 12th century English to modern English). The only other member of Yoda's species that I can recall talking in Legends was Vandar, who spoke with the same syntax as everyone else. I hope Grogu doesn't grow up to speak in an alternate syntax.
    As far as 50 year old toddlers and 100 year old Jedi Masters, I think we have three main possibilities:
    1. Yoda's species doesn't mature proportional to humans, and there is a spike in development somewhere between 50 and 100. In spite of the popularity of "dog years", different species on Earth really don't develop proportional to each other. Dogs are essentially adults at 1 year old (7 in "dog years"), and the oldest dogs have lived to late 20s (~200 in "dog years"). I don't know any 7 year old adult humans OR 200 year old humans. And humans aren't the only outliers, cats develop differently from dogs as well.
    2. Yoda's species has a lot more variation in development rates. Maybe some 100 year old Yodians are like 40 year old humans, and some 100 year old Yodians are like 5 year old humans.
    3. Grogu suffered sever trauma as a youth and his development has been stunted/arrested. I doubt they would quite go that route, but there is certainly some dialogue you could point to that makes it a plausible hypothesis.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Not to mention that Yoda used backward speech sparingly in the OT. For the most part, his syntax was normal. It didn’t become so exaggerated until the PT.

TadoFett likes this.
  17. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Maybe Grogu won't speak at all. Or will vocalise like ET the Extraterrestrial, using the words of others at the most poignant time. This might maintain Grogu's cuteness in older age.

Maybe Grogu will also communicate silently, telepathically like ET the Extraterrestrial - he is powerful in the Force and doesn't need to speak, he just communes with feeling. (Like when ET makes Elliot rescue the frogs in ET).

Afterall, isn't it suggested the Jedi and Sith do this by being "sensed" in the Force and is it implied the Emperor does this in the ST (through Vader's mask as well as embodied in Snoke)?

whostheBossk, TadoFett and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Grogu will one day speak like Yoda or Yaddle. Maybe not in this series but futher in the timeline. By time of the ST era he will ne in his mid 70's and probaly speak fluently basic. He be like a human in his 20's.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    TadoFett and Sproj like this.
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

Seems they will close on a deal, so looks like all parties can go and work happy if it happens.

TadoFett likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I won’t hold my breath until this is a done deal.

TadoFett likes this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

Looks like they have made a deal now.

whostheBossk and TadoFett like this.
  22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    TBH, the chances of this strike actually happening were always slim. I'm not surprised at all.

TadoFett likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The union still needs to vote to ratify the deal. Could still go bust

TadoFett likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This is true. But the union President, in his optimism about celebrating now, strongly implied that this is a deal that the overwhelming majority of the members will be content with. In short, he’s likely already cleared it with a lot of the key members who can rally others for ratification. So very good chance that it’s a done deal. Though there’s always that slight chance that members still don’t find it be sufficient…

TadoFett likes this.
  25. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I was reading that the unions involved in this deal vote to ratify deals using a sort of electoral college-like system due to the different entities involved. Supposedly, this makes it more likely for members to ratify the vote, because some union segments could vote for it and others against, and it doesn't need a majority to pass, unlike the John Deere vote and strike. I don't know the accuracy of that, but it came from someone supposedly in one of the unions.

Bor Mullet likes this.