main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Dec 23, 2020.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It might have got changed to put more emphasis on Din's eventual role in the final crossover we're building towards; he might have been initially seen as more of a ultilty member of the final heroic ensemble, but is now elevated to a "co-lead" role alongside Ahoska. There'd be a difference in how you write things if you feel like you don't have to do an Avengers (2012) phase where everyone's largely equal in the main team, and can skip right to an Endgame-style set-up with two main "leader" characters.

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if it turns out that Rangers of the New Republic's premise was given more initial significance that they now feel can go instead to Din and Grogu; if Cara Dune was initially envisaged as the lead character (still not confirmed), the character's affiliation likely mattered more than either her herself or her actor. One the character became expendable, the next question might be how valuable the show itself is, and if more Mandalorian stuff can pick up the narrative slack, they might feel satisfied with that.

Maybe Mandalore Din Djarin is going to be maneuvered into explicitly allying Mandalore with the New Republic when that role was originally supposed to go to New Republic lead characters instead?

2. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    The Avengers comparison is one we’ve all made, but I can’t help but wonder if we’ve overestimated how much of a build up this crossover event is going to get.

I saw so many people theorising before it’s release that the Book of Boba Fett was going to position the titular character as the “Talon Karrde” of the coming conflict with Thrawn, or that it would set up Qi’ra and Crimson Dawn for that role. The show came and went and really we didn’t get much by way of story progression for the greater narrative. We inched Din’s storyline further a bit, whilst also resetting his status quo with Grogu but that’s about it.

So I’m thinking, something like Rangers-probably wasn’t that integral. I get the feeling that the project was a Book of Boba Fett situation- a Mandalorian subplot that they were encouraged to expand into a mini-series to bolster Disney + content.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean do you think Thrawn will just come and go in Ashoka and not even made a big bad?

Or do you think Ashoka is gonna be far more integral?

Or heck for all we know maybe Ashoka isn't that big as we imagine either but just something Filoni really really REEEEEALY wanted to do.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2022
  4. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Either the Ashoka series is going to do like, 75% of the heavy lifting when it comes setting up the crossover or ….the thing is going to be more of a epilogue to Rebels and we’ve all completely misread what this crossover is going to be.

Riv_Shiel and Jid123Sheeve like this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

And the thing is...I could really see it being either one of these options

I mean i would think it's the first option...But like....We could be wrong...Doubt it...But it's possible.

I do think Ashoka will be a bit more than Book of Boba Fett given the time it seems to have had in terms of pre-production but then again...who knows.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2022
  6. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I don’t know what an alternative crossover would be, because Thrawn seems like the most obvious choice, but if they haven’t cast the character yet and he’s being saved for Ahsoka then I’m starting to doubt that season 3 of Mando will really have much to do with him and we might be pivoting into another storyline. Thrawn might just be a big red (blue?) herring.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean i didn't expect Thrawn to be involved in Mandalorian too much and really to finish up Gideon side of things

I mean Ashoka may be the start of whatever the next phase of story is?

8. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Since Gideon is in custody I expected a lot more clarity about what the bigger picture is with the Imperials, and some kind of cameo to directly set up Thrawn for Ahsoka. An ESB situation setting up the Emperor despite Vader being the main villain.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I would hope.

But we will see.

10. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I still think the crossover event could be about the retaking of Mandalore. The spin-off purposes (with respect to the crossover, not necessarily to their own story) could be to establish Mando's main allies establishing a power base that they can bring to his aid.

11. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    I think the Ahsoka series will focus on her hunt for Thrawn. We may get a cameo from Mando in it but theres a lot of potential story and characters like Ezra that could come into it.

In terms of crossover it wouldnt surprise me if Thrawn makes a play for Mandalore in terms of maybe recruiting for the Imperial Remnant (despite their history) and it brings Ahsoka and Mando back into play together. Thrawn is not one for wasting potential assets and the imperial remnant needs all the recruits it can get and of course from the ashes of all of this is the First Order rising.

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Thrawn has an established potential as a grand, Galaxy-level threat from Legends, and while it's unlikely he'd be the same scale here, it would seem a bit dubious if he was a one-show villain for Ahsoka. It would a waste if they preserved him to the post-ROTJ timeline and he never became more than unfinished Rebels business. Star Wars generally does better when it has better villains.

However, I fully expect Mando's particular story to focus on placing him in a leadership role among the Mandalorians regardless of whether Thrawn's the ultimate Big Bad or not; on the one hand, that's a more personal but still epic scale story for Din, but for another, Thrawn excels in a far-removed, "Chessmaster" type of role that would work best if his agents are running cunning plans that nearly succeed thanks to his stratagems but can fail because he's not present.

And while I still expect some type of "rival" opponent for both Din and Ahsoka so we can get some highly dramatic and personal duels, I don't see Thrawn fitting either role, especially since both of them are supposed to be elite level warriors even among elite level warriors, and outsmarting him is the challenge there.

I think the most immediately successful story is one where Thrawn is saved for a late-stage cross-over story after Din and Ahoska have both encountered their rivals beforehand, and where his arrival in the Chimera with whatever fleet he has can serve as a sufficiently epic final challenge. And since I think Din has to have found the waters of Mandalore, found a power-base, and likely at least surpassed Bo-Katan as a faction leader of the Mandalorians at minimum before we get there, I think we're a long ways off from Thrawn's appearance.

Sproj likes this.
  13. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Thrawn would obviously need to come into play in any "search for Ezra" story, so if that is what Ahsoka is, then he needed to be brought up again. Rebels itself obviously sets up Thrawn to be significant after ROTJ, and I don't think that was to set up Mando+. I don't expect the crossover story to be the end of Star Wars, or even the OT/ST interquel period - plenty of opportunity to follow up whatever they have planned for him. I just don't see the strong connective tissue for the shows to be building up to Thrawn. The only hint of Thrawn in The Mandalorian was in a scene that didn't involve any of the regular cast in an episode that was a pilot for a series that would have to include him. Nothing in Book of Boba Fett sets up or builds to Thrawn. Of course they could build to him, but I don't see why that is the most likely possibility at this point.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean I hope Thrawn is a BIG THING....You don't put Thrawn in the post Endor period in the same year as the Thrawn Trilogy in legends and do something big for me.

They can't pull a Cad Bane for Thrawn ....That would seem like kinda a waist

godisawesome likes this.
  15. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    If Mando season 3 comes out, and there’s not even a mention of the character that honestly wouldn’t surprise me. There really hasn’t been any build up for him, which is very strange because I do think using him as the big event is the most logical route they could go. But there is a real possibility that he’s mostly just there for closure in the Ahsoka series.

Mostly Handless and Riv_Shiel like this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah i kinda don't expect Mando either

Again how much "Closure" will we get from Ashoka is the possibility

Like Thrawn does't have to necessarily die...Heck i'm not even convinced Cad Bane is dead TBH

Now I do think Filoni has something for Thrawn otherwise why keep him alive post Rebel

Chances are Ashoka kick off something just as much as it closes things

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2022
    godisawesome , Sproj and Riv_Shiel like this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@SyndicThrass

Here is another guess

Mando Season 3 ends

Ashoks is kinda less "Closure" for Rebels and more the kickoff to other stuff.

I assume Mando Season 3 happens BEFORE Ashoka right? So maybe a lot of the Mando's grand plot gets wrapped up and then Ashoka kicks off Mandoverse Phase 2 or whatever.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  18. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Personally I don’t think the Mandoverse is going to be a long term of a thing comparable to Marvel, they don’t seem to have enough fuel in the tank for it going off Book of Boba. So I’m not sure about phases and the like.

19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I doubt they have enough to match the full scale of Marvel, but I don't know if Book of Boba was that informative about how much fuel in the tank they have for the larger Disney+ shows.

For one thing, it seems to have been a somewhat improvised spinoff made after they realized what they could do with Boba. For another, they apparently had too much fuel with Din and Grogu to wait for Season 3, and not only did both those characters get a total transition story taken care of in what amounted to a pair of episodes hijacked from TBOBF, but they still have significant story runway before them. You could even argue that Din and Grogu have already gone through two different "phases" already with their two seasons, while the Waters of Mandalore quest sounds like it's adding another whole "phase" most fans didn't predict. And of course, Ahsoka's story hasn't really started yet.

It really comes down to how interlocking they want these shows to be and how ambitious they are; the more connected the larger casts are, the more . And I'd argue that The Mandalorian is already deeply interlocked with Ahsoka and TBOBF, while the key supporting character in Ahsoka, Sabine Wren, is someone that many Mandalorian fans feel *needs* to have a major interaction with Din. So that really just leaves ambition as the biggest question regarding whether we're building towards a massive climax. I mean, we *know* they can do it if they want to - they have the technology.

And it would be a bit "un-Star Warsy" to have smaller scale finales, and quite a bit "un-Filoni" to not combine multiple plotlines into a climax.

Din has enough potential by himself to have anything from a very stacked third season to three sufficiently substantial seasons; the quest for The Waters of Mandalore, a rise as a Leader among his people, and a "consecrating conflict" for the united Mandalorians could all be stuff that gets covered quickly or expanded massively. While I won't pretend all three of those ideas are things I should place money on, I'd be shocked if Filoni and Favreau want strictly TV-scale conflicts and finales.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just an FYI for those that happen to be in the Long Island/New York area at the beginning of July.

[​IMG]

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think this whole Mandalorian era will last for a while. Thrawn will be key to it. We have yet to see clear signs of the first order, we see hints of other imperial remnants and Snoke clones. This Will almost work as pre prequel to ST trilogy era.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  22. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I’m going to show my hand a little bit, and say that going by what that one, now banned, leaker had said there is a scene in Season 3
    where Din unites the clans of Mandalore in a Game of Thrones/Wildling sequence on a frozen lake.

I think going by that, there’s not a great deal left.

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    But then...what happens with Mandalore afterwards? And Grogu?

There's plenty left.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I actually read that as implying Thrawn is a likely Big Bad for a crossover; I think the more certainty we can see Din actually uniting Mandalore with, the more likely they are to follow that up with some great conflict where that’s neccessary, and Thrawn’s the best candidate for that given the necessity to escalate well beyond Gideon for that.

25. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Well, not every story needs to show what happens after the kingdom is won. You don’t need to always show the subsequent crisis that a ruler faces, that gets into GRRM territory and his critique on Return of the King.

With the Mandalorian, so much of the show has been building up to Din uniting Mandalore from the beginning that it feels like a very logical and fitting end point for the character. You don’t need to do much with Grogu either, since his character arc effectively resolved itself in the Luke episode of BOBF with him choosing to live as a Mandalorian with his father rather than become a Jedi. So I think we’re entering the last stretch of the narrative here.

Realistically I think it’s Mando season 3, Ahsoka, Crossover thing and then we’re done. You would think that they’d use Thrawn for that crossover, because out of universe it makes too much sense. He’s an iconic, beloved character with a large fanbase and a classic story they can use as a blueprint, it ticks all the boxes for success. But the storytelling isn’t really in place for it, they haven’t set him up, or really any kind of overarching plot to justify it. So either they’re just being incredibly sloppy with their storytelling and the crossover thing is just Ahsoka: Part 2 featuring Din and Boba Fett, or they’ve got something else in mind. I might be giving them too much credit.

Mostly Handless and Riv_Shiel like this.