main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Dec 23, 2020.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    And yet the darksaber was made by someone who was both jedi and mandalorian. I can't shake the feeling that will be relevant at some point.

2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    It's true, although he might manifest more powers regardless of what Ahsoka said. The visit with Luke resulted in him levelling up. I'm not sure if his powers will actually fade as far as the show is concerned. I guess from my point of view a lot of the Mando show rests on this dynamic with Grogu, they are kind of the heart of the show, and yes Grogu is the Cash Cow, so I didn't think they would have remained separated, I just kinda expected it to take Season 3 to work this out, and I don't mind that it was fast-forwarded. I don't know if it's out of the realm of possibility they could visit Luke again if they need to? Though I'm not sure Luke allows students to audit his classes lol... And Luke could defend them in the future as well...

The first Mandalorian was a FS and followed the Mandalorian religion > The Jedi one, right? I think this is a problem for Din in a way... He's now aware of the Jedi religion and this key difference between it and The Way (regarding attachment). But he'll also be aware that Grogu probably needs the Force to defend himself (I think that's a big reason he wanted Grogu to return to his ppl in the first place), so I'm not sure Din will agree that Grogu should forget the Force, he might actually encourage him. He's heard about the dangers from Ahsoka, not in depth, but it gives him something to mull over. Also I feel like Grogu himself sees his abilities as a way to help Din and therefore isn't personally motivated to forget them...

If Grogu had stayed with Luke the entire time up until the ST, he would have been killed by Ben Solo most likely, so that way is kind of a dead end for him. However, if he stayed with Luke it might end the hunt for him as I don't think the Imperial remnants will be willing to go against Luke at this point as they can't win. He'll continue to be hunted if he's with Din...

And that's what's difficult... Luke seems to have adopted the same philosophy as the Old Republic Jedi. This was something I wasn't sure about as TLJ explained so little about Luke's school... I knew Luke had become somewhat disillusioned with the Jedi for their failures which he saw himself as repeating, but he never really explained anything about failures of um pedagogy, just that he had a brief moment of impulse with Ben Solo and couldn't win the battle for him against the dark side. So I wasn't sure if Luke had been trying to teach in the same way as the PT Jedi, or if he was doing something new (as it had seemed in ROTJ that Luke's whole motive to save his dad was out of personal love). So the episode with Grogu answers the question it seems.

Since he's teaching the same way the PT Jedi did, it might be all or nothing. All the students will have to cut all of their attachments to people from their old lives and they may never see any of those people again. Unless, Luke took a more personal view of each student and maybe students could visit people from their lives if attachment wasn't a problem (which wouldn't apply in Grogu's case)? For instance, could kids stay with him for summer camp and return home? I just don't know. If Din is allowed to visit Grogu, Grogu will remain attached to him and long for and miss him when he's away, and Luke doesn't think that will work. Ahsoka thinks Grogu would be in danger of ending up like Anakin because of the intensity of their bond...

I don't know if the danger with Grogu is real... I really liked the ROTS novel and remember it talked about the secret loves of certain Jedi (which means attachment). Obi-Wan loves Anakin. Mace loves The Republic. Neither of them went to the dark side because of these feelings. But it may have swayed them just a little... For instance, Obi-Wan in TCW seems to know there is something more between Anakin and Padme but he doesn't call it out (it makes Anakin happy and he loves Anakin). But the point is they didn't turn out like Anakin in spite of not being 100% attachment free.

I'm kinda curious if Disney Star Wars is working its way around to this separate kids from their caretakers thing... It went wrong with Anakin (he was too attached to his mother), and it could have played a part with Ben Solo (Leia said she shouldn't have sent him away, but I'm not sure it would have mattered which path she took). I'm also wondering if it will come up again with Reva in Kenobi as she resents that everything was taken from her (but again, I don't know if she's referring to the temple massacre alone).

Still, the Jedi did just fine for 1000 years with their methods... and maybe what influences how well these methods work is the balance of the Force or something... as soon as it starts tipping towards the dark side, it seems like it starts pulling everyone with it, like gravity. And that makes even the slightest attachment more dangerous somehow. Each generation the Sith who remain in hiding 2 at a time manage to poison the well a bit more, until it reaches a level of toxicity that the Jedi end up overwhelmed. But with Sidious gone after the ST, maybe it's back to 0 and the Jedi (if there are any) could have another 1000 years or so without too many dark side tragedies?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think allowing attachments would be so messy. Its easy to talk about how special attachments are and how sad it is that jedi never knew their parents or anything. But attachments ain't always a good thing, and i think the psychology of it probably makes more sense than what people would like to admit.

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I really don't think they are that constrained by the destruction of Luke's Jedi Temple as some people thing. Grogu (and Ahsoka, Ezre, Jacen, and others...) does not need to be there when it happens. They can be off doing other stuff and on the run from the FO and the KoR. ":_|But there were words on the screen that said Luke was the last one!!!:_|" So what. Grogu was with dad and the FO ran into an army of Mandalorians. Ahsoka was off doing Ahsoka stuff. Ezra and his padawan Jacen were off on a mission along with a re-assembled Ghost crew. Up until TFA it was really more a cold war with minor skirmishes until Starkiller took out a whole system and not really that long between the end of TFA and TRoS. I am sure there would be more than a few Jedi who could stay ahead of the FO that long.

Story wise with Grogu staying with Luke we could check in on him at least once a season. Either Din shows up for a visit or we get an episode that is just Grogu training with Luke, Ahsoka, or other Jedi trainees to show that he is becoming more powerful in the Force. After a few seasons (if the show last that long) you have a situation where Din and whoever he is running with at the time get captured and are sitting in a dungeon...and all of a sudden they hear a major commotion outside the cell when all of a sudden the door opens and Grogu is standing there with his lightsaber having gone all hallway scene on the henchmen.

oncafar and Cos Palpatine like this.
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Grogu is a baby. lets remember that. And he probably will be a baby for a while.

6. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Probably more of a reason to stay in a safe place with Luke instead of running all around the Galaxy getting shot at with dad.

7. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    Considering how many Jedi canonically survived Order 66, I don't think anyone really needs to worry about Grogu/Ezra/Jacen/Ahsoka etc. in regards to the fall of Luke's temple.

8. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Everyone there died according to comics...

PS point taken grogu could ofc leave bf that

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    And that someone apparently founded the entire Vizsla Clan according to Paz, which any way you slice it is creating a non-Jedi family with its own political role specific to Mandalorian culture.

LFL’s going to continue to talk out both sides of its mouth regarding Jedi and attachments as long as creators feel “well, I can break that rule *this* time.”

10. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Fair point overall, though
    A) We don't know if that is an eternal rule or something added later, and if Tarre lived before it
    and
    B) A clan is as much a political organization as a familial one, it is possible he didn't have any children and rather just founded a group, or helped some of his relatives rise to power and establish their bloodline.

....Assuming Paz even has that history correct, of course, a thousand years of oral history might drift quite a bit - and Pre Vizla and Fenn Rau do even give subtle but important differences in their account of how the Mandalorians got the lightsaber back.

In any case, I cannot help but wonder how Luke would respond to that revelation...

11. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Also I forgot to say by level up, Grogu also became more compassionate. He understood the rancor wasn't an enemy and felt great compassion for it. This is different than that poor creature in season 1 in which the Jawas wanted its eggs. Grogu so far is heading towards the light and compassion. And the relationship with Din is part of that. But I think Luke helped also just to show him compassion is the worthwhile path. Din knows it too so really, they are aligned.

Sproj and clone commander bossk like this.
  12. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I want to see Din get pulled over. We have had a couple interactions with the X-Wings but he just runs from them. And whenever he goes from planet to planet he really doesn't encounter any official notice. I would love to see him go to a more populated world that has a security/customs force that he has to deal with. He drops out of hyperspace and almost as soon as he does he gets a couple fighters pulling up alongsd him and telling him he is going to land on their carrier for customs inspection. He can't really run as it is not just a couple fighters with no back up and doing so would make people take notice of him. He lands and has his ship inspected (and has a professional interaction with the authorities) and is sent on his way.

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I like to think Din had a compartment somewhere in the Razor Crest filled with New Republic and Imperial tickets that he's never going to pay

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    TadoFett, MercenaryAce and Chris0013 like this.
  14. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Those all burned up in the Razor Crest. Time to start collecting again.

TadoFett and MercenaryAce like this.
  15. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    They have to catch him to give him tickets. He is too fast for that now.

16. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Grogu mech suit?

TadoFett likes this.
  18. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    With The Mandolorian and The Book of Boba Fett giving us intricate stories about the Tuskens and Jawas, I hope the third season of The Mandolorian finds a way to include these guys.

[​IMG]
    Ewoks are the only OT aliens which haven't appeared in the shows yet.

19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I actually thought a cool idea for an Ewok post-ROTJ might be as a kind of “reverse gremlin” - a small, grumpy, but good hearted in-flight mechanic on a New Republic ship.

Or we could even go full Kettch the Starfighter Pilot.

Yubyub, commander.

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    A taxidermed Ewok apparently appeared in the original version of Dryden Vos’s private quarters in Solo. Before the reshoots.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Mandalorian season 3 looks great.

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Have you seen the footage?

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The leaked trailer

24. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    If you can call half a screen and inaudible backround noise footage, then yes.

Django Fett likes this.
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Amani, Baragwin and Dressellian haven't appeared yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I'm sure there's a few more too, I hope Dressellians appear in Andor.