main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Dec 23, 2020.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, that checks out.

Any thoughts on the idea the Armorer and Paz have set up shop on Tatooine? That feels more like an educated guess to me, in a good way - it might also make an interesting episode if Din is trying o negotiate a cease-fire between Boba and Children of the Watch, perhaps showcasing how he *does* actually have some of the leadership skills that the Darksaber requires to truly be an effective symbol of unification

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  2. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    That aspect of the “leaks” is something I could see happening, or at least it seems feasible.

And I magine that word has probably gotten out that Boba Fett has sent the Pykes and the Hutts running from Tatooine and claimed it as his own. So I think it’s possible that the Children of the Watch would take issue with an outsider (for lack of a better term) using Mandalorian armour to gain a position of power, and might seek to respond to that with violence.

CampOfSorgan and godisawesome like this.
  3. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, and this is just spitballing and brainstorming, but if Din *did* manage to broker peace between the Children of the Watch as a collective and Boba, even with Paz and the Armorer being belligerent about Boba’s wearing the armor, that could add some significant heat to Armorer’s comments in the trailer about how Din can’t be a Mandalorian in her opinion.

I noticed her reiteration of his current situation in the trailer to be more stern and uncompromising, and seemingly blunt at stating he couldn’t reach the waters of Mandalore anymore.

*If*, theoretically, Din manages to exit an early episode having “threatened” the Armorer’s orthodoxy by convincing other Children of the Watch to leave Boba on peace, or even accept an alliance of mutual protection on the same planet, that could potentially be the start of Din’s own “faction.”

We could see Din and Grogu leave Tatooine with Din having already demonstrated some political power among the COTW in spite of his situation, still allied and friendly with Boba as an example of a tertiary Mandalorian “offshoot”, and about to possibly gain the respect and approval of some of Bo Katan’s people right under her nose.

Strictly brainstorming stuff here… but I’m really hopeful to see Din demonstrate a more mature Mandalorian philosophy to accompany his eventual quest to Mandalore for the waters.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Hmm...course, Din is a Child of the Watch himself, and he accepted Boba's claim to the armor as legitimate when he saw the chain code showing it was inherited. And even when Din was expelled they didn't ask or demand for the armor back. Finally, when Din confronted Cobb Vanth over his armor, Din's main claim was that the armor was looted from the purge of mandalore - which, while not true in this situation, hints that it might not be an issue of non-Mandalorians having Mandalorian armor, so much as people ghoulishly profiting from the genocide of the Mandalorian people, with an assumption that non-Mandos with the armor have looted armor unless proven otherwise (also notable is that even when Cobb took off the helmet and Din isn't familiar with Mandos that do that, the first thing he asks is how Cobb got the armor, and later he asks the same as Bo, which implies it is not just about having the armor, but how they got the armor that matters)

Though on the other hand Din didn't know or care about the Dark Saber whereas Paz and the armorer both did. So there might be some differences in knowledge and interpretation.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  5. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I’ve started to assume that Din might me more representative of the actual rank and file of the Children of the Watch, or at least of their foundling members, and thus reflects what teachings the Watch emphasizes *and* skips over in raising kids… but also where some “moderation” in their beliefs might emerge from what accidental lessons stuck with the foundlings.

Like, Paz is now pretty clearly at least a minor nobleman from House Vizsla who’s type of “born-again” Mandalorian-ness still comes after having been raised in the culture already, while the Armorer’s costume, knowledge and attitude implies a past as a veteran of the Death Watch’s Civil War thanks to Maul. Thus, both of them seem likely to have come by their more developed and contextualized information about Mandalorian history from their lives before joining the Watch… which might imply that the Watch’s education neglects such information compared to getting soldiers trained to competence… and might hint that their POV is skewed compared to Din.

Din, meanwhile, wouldn’t just have education as a soldier while being deprived of knowledge of his culture’s history - he’s also have learned how to interact with other Mandalorians and how to “be a man” from his adopted parental figures. He also would have been acutely aware of his nature as a foundling and how that might contrast with others “born in the Creed”…

…which might mean that Din has picked up on some flexibility to the Creed in some areas that The Armorer and Paz, from different cultural backgrounds and perspectives, might reject.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, I also got a strong feeling that Paz and the armorer were people who joined the Children later in life, and thus know a bit more about the wider world than Din. And, as you say, that might have that kind of born-again fanaticism converts often have, whereas Din has shown a great ability to be flexible and accommodating once he gets over his initial shock. Like, he isn't rushing to abandon his creed, and honestly I don't get the feeling Din and Bo particularly like each other, but they can work together with some basic respect as Mandalorians.

7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    For the record, I don't think it’s quite the same as “born again converts” in general, but rather “born again converts who already belonged to the larger religion beforehand” specifically.

I think the overcompensation that creates is a bit different from a direct born again convert from outside the original faith or culture - in this case, Paz and the Armorer are doubling down on the idea that the armor defined their identity even more than Din and other foundlings might, because they added that to their already foundational identities, so it’s much more important to them. They were embracing something that excluded their past life and comrades, and are more likely to think they have discovered the “one, true way” to be a Mandalorian specifically contrasted with their previous culture.

In contrast, while Din and other foundlings depend on the armor and acceptance by the faith for their identities… they also come at the faith and culture form the perspective of learning it - and key to learning is being able to recognize when you were initially wrong.

It’s like the difference between a lapsed Catholic becoming a Southern Baptist and turning against their family for specific dogmatic and doctrinal issues versus a previously life-long Atheist or Buddhist converting but knowing they’re sometimes out of their depth beyond the big picture… and thus having a better view of the big picture compared to the “doctrinal commandos.”

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree with that as the likeliest characterization. They're the family members who visit home and the rest of the family are all, "Now wait a minute. We all believe the same thing!" only to be told "You believe wrong. We know more than you, now".

9. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    “I’m more Mandalorian than you!”

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    He's a "creative". Aren't they all like that?

clone commander bossk likes this.
  12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    “Charismatic” is the preferred term, I believe.

…Which now makes me speculate how much they may unleash his charisma with Din as he gets positioned as a leader. I don’t see Din ever being the big speeches guy per se… but he’s done a few “face the facts, we need to work together” talks…

clone commander bossk likes this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I dunno. Guy crashing on your couch for 3 weeks and you haven't even noticed...

That's his most intimidating character yet.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    (Pedro Pascal materializes beside you early in the morning.)

“We’re out of milk.”

“AHHHHHHH!”

TCF-1138 and Sarge like this.
  15. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I can bring the milk in warm. Or I can bring it in cold.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And don't forget to bring in the chiccy nuggies.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    ...pweddy pls

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    whostheBossk and godisawesome like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This would have been when Baby Yoda wears curlers and a night gown.

19. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    A promo for Pedro's other big show was released today.

This is the show that gets the majority of Pedro's face.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    A tree full of kowakian monkey-lizards. It's all I've ever asked of Star Wars.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Im glad to have the return of Babu Frik. Hey, hey.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    MANGODALORIAN!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  24. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Mando Season 3!!!!! Chill trailer.
    Can’t wait!