main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Skeleton Crew Ahsoka The Mandalorian + Spinoffs Big Crossover Movie EXTRAVAGANZA (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Riv_Shiel, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    We are told that The Mandalorian and its spinoffs will be culminating in some manner of crossover event. This is the all-purpose thread for discussing the crossover. I see three main questions at this time, but I am sure there are other open questions already.

Question 1:
    What form will the crossover event take? Some possibilities:
    1. A theatrical film (I think they have a guy producing one who has done crossover films before).
    2. A "TV special" direct to streaming movie.
    3. A special mini-series.
    4. A season (or episode) of one (or more) of the existing shows that brings in characters from the others.

Question 2:
    How far out is the crossover? Is this coming in a year or two, or are we looking at something five plus years out? I always found it odd that one of the shows crossing over was going to be a mini-series, and the others would be ongoing. Are the other shows going to continue past the end of the mini-series, or is there going to be a long gap between the end of Ahsoka and the beginning of the crossover? Is Ahsoka mini going to set up an ongoing series - maybe Sabine and/or Ezra related?

Question 3:
    This is the big one - what is the crossover going to be about? The prevailing theory is that it is Thrawn related, but I always thought that was unlikely and now think so even more. Whatever the crossover event is has to have relevance to all the shows. Granted, if this is a ways out there is plenty of time to build to that event, but let's consider the setup for a Thrawn crossover on the shows we have so far:
    The Mandalorian: Thrawn was mentioned on this show (which seems to be the main argument for Thrawn being the crossover), but it was in an episode intended to setup the Ahsoka spinoff and it was said in one of the few non-Mando POV scenes in the show. Other than that, I have seen nothing in The Mandalorian that seems to be building to Thrawn. Maybe Gideon is working for him, but there has been no hint of that to date.
    Book of Boba Fett: There is nothing in The Tragedy or in Book of Boba Fett to date that seems to set up Thrawn. I know the theory is the he could be the "Underworld guy" ala Karrde, but that seems no stronger an indication at this point than if I said Luke appearing in The Mandalorian setup a live action Crystal Star.
    Ahsoka: Obviously this show is likely to lead into a Thrawn conflict.
    Rangers of the New Republic: Again, obvious that the New Republic would have an interest in Thrawn.
    I think a more likely theory is that this is leading up to a Battle of Mandalore crossover:
    The Mandalorian: As obvious as Thrawn in Ahsoka.
    Book of Boba Fett: This show is still the weak link in the theory, but I think there is a little more grounds for speculation.
    Could be as simple as Din and Boba continuing to trade favors - Boba could follow where Din goes. But we also got a seemingly disconnected episode of Boba's show where Din is quested to go to the living waters of Mandalore. In a show that dropped a lot of hints of water significance early on. Is it possible that Mando S3 introduces something about Mandalore that would intice Boba to have a vested interest. And does it introduce interesting possibilities for Boba to explore his father's roots? I think it does.
    Ahsoka: We have casting announcements for Sabine. Sabine and Ahsoka were last shown heading off to look for Mandalore. Mandalore has story significance for all three characters, this show could leave them in position to go off to the next thing - retaking of Mandalore.
    Ranger of the New Republic: If Imperial remnants are involved in Mandalore, it could easily interest the New Republic.

Any other thoughts on this event?

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    3. seems most likley, a big mini series crossover event that will either deal with Mandalore, Thrawn, alien invasion, more imperial remnants. I think this probaly 5 years away.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  3. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    For me, it has to lead to Episode 10 in the movies. For me, that holds the most logic.

Sproj likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Most likley lead halfway from ROTJ to TFA.

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I honestly think it’s just gonna be called Heir to the Empire

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Wouldn't that be cool!

Like they could spend a few years building up this pre-ST universe like The Clone Wars did for the PT, help it make as much sense as possible and then boom! Rey, Finn, Grogu, Din, Ezra, Ahsoka, Thrawn, Kaz (shudders) whoever else all come together to set up the ST's...ST era.

7. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I really want a theatrical movie with a budget to match. I think that would be the smart financial move too

It's clear that Disney and Lucasfilm are moving VERY cautiously on their next SW movie. Following the under-performances of Solo and TROS, they need a guaranteed hit that also satisfies the hardcore fanbase. Rogue Squadron could be amazing, but it's still an unknown quantity.

A "Mando-verse" movie is the safest bet they have right now. Put it in theaters for 45 days, then put it on Disney+. It's a win-win.

8. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    You could even turn it into a trilogy and have all the big name characters worked into it.

9. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    That would be amazing. I wonder if Disney would be willing to guarantee 3 movies though. If BOBF finishes strong, Mando keeps rolling in Season 3, and Ahsoka is a big hit, then I can see Disney giving the green light. But I expect all of those things to happen (knock on wood).

Generational Fan and Sproj like this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    We might get both Mini series and movies out of this big crossover event and will tie strongly with the ST era, see The First Order rising, Mandalore being libirated and taken back. Thrawn and Ezra's story and where that leads them Ahsoka and Sabine joining the fight. Luke and Grogu with Din. Cloning, Snoke and hints towards Palpatine.

11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The biggest clue we can get about what size and shape any particular crossover climax would take depends on two things: what’s the overriding conflict, and who/what is the Big Bad?

If, say, Thrawn is a Big Bad with an Imperial Remnant set-up more like Cobra from GIJoe, without any wildcard he can gain to immediately take over the Galaxy, then it might be more like an ongoing plot thread the shows have rather than a full-on grand culmination.

If Thrawn comes along accompanied by the Seventh Fleet and some kind of dark sider to challenge Ahsoka, and gets an ace up his sleeve like the Black Fleet, and we can get a movie.

Generational Fan, 2Cleva and Sproj like this.
  12. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    That's what I want. It would be so cool to see Mando on the big screen - and a trilogy of films would just be epic.

As for what the crossover will be about... my money is on Thrawn and the battle for Mandalore. Both are pretty clearly being hinted at and they could easily work together with Thrawn leading the Imperial assault. I get chills just thinking about what this crossover event could be.

Generational Fan and Sproj like this.
  13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm going to guess this will be a decade in the future. After Ahsoka there will be other series, and those will take a while. They're really going to play the long game here.

Keep in mind, they introduced the darksaber, Bo-Katan, etc. about a decade ago--and they are still setting things up. But it'll be interesting to see how TBOBF will come into play into it all. I'm also interested in seeing whether the Kenobi series will be more-or-less standalone or whether it will also lead into the big crossover event.

14. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I've said it before, but if they're using stuff from the Canon books, a resolution for that Eclipse hanging thread from the Aftermath series would be great.

Thrawn could absolutely find some unexpected use for it.

15. Reepicheep775

Jul 27, 2019
    I don't think it will be that long. The MCU took ten years to get to Thanos, but there were a few big crossover events before that (the first one, The Avengers, being only four years after Iron Man). I'd put my money on late 2024. That would leave time for Mando Season 3 and Ahsoka in 2023 and Boba Season 2 and/or Ranger of the New Republic (if that's still a thing) in early 2024.

2Cleva likes this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    The rumor is the big crossover event is not happenning until 2027. So we have 5 years until the big event with Mandalorian season 3, Ahsoka tv show, book of boba season 2, Mandalorian season 4 with new republic, a Ezra and Thrawn event show? I feel like Moff Gideon will still be involved in the story here and he will either be wuth Thrawn or be against him. Thrawn might be a red herring about being the main villain. And Mandalore might have been tajen back before this event, depends how important this planet is to the empire.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    whostheBossk likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    2027 seems too far off. I doubt it'll be that long, as I have a feeling many of the creatives on board would want to move on before that.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well maybe, they may want to delevop this era for many years. Mandalorian for 2022, Ahsoka for 2023, 2024 for either Mandalorian season 4 with new republic story arc or something else like Spin-off from Ahsoka. So earlier could be 2025.

Also how far into the timeline they want to go before they too close to TFA or far away from ROTJ .

Generational Fan likes this.
  19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I highly doubt the crossover series will culminate in a movie.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Most likley it's very own mini series that will feel like a movie

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  22. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    what kind of extravaganza doesn’t have Max Rebo or Babu Frik?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    HeyHeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!

starfish likes this.
  24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I keep waiting for Babu Frik to randomly pop up in one of these shows lol

25. Reepicheep775

Jul 27, 2019
    I think Mando Season 3 and Ahsoka will really open things up. Right now it feels like a crossover event is a long way off, but with Mando likely going to Mandalore in Season 3 and Ahsoka likely pursuing Thrawn in her show, I suspect it will feel a lot closer once those two shows are out.

I would say we have more than enough characters for a big crossover event shortly after that. We have Din Djarin, Bo Katan Kryze, Ahsoka Tano, Boba Fett, Luke Skywalker, Sabine Wren, and Ezra Bridger (the last two likely being introduced in Ahsoka). That's an all star cast and having them team up to fight Thrawn (or play some other role in the event) would be analogous to the Avengers coming together to fight Loki.