main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books The Mandalorian: The Ultimate Visual Guide

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Jun 30, 2020.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Only 273 days until we find out how tracking fobs work!

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Amazon is now showing 1/7/2021 release date!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
  4. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Hope this gem contains crosssections.... we need Razor-Crest, Arquiten, fold-wing-Tie, etc. and lots of location crosssections!

MrDarth0, Ventrix, Nobody145 and 3 others like this.
  5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    [​IMG]

6. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I think you misread that, my friend.

It says July 1st, 2021, not Jan 7th, 2021. We won't be getting this one in January, as much as I wish otherwise.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    JediBatman and Dream-Thinker like this.
  7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Probably won't happen...but I would love to see clear pics of all the blasters with makes and models for each.

He is from the UK...I think they do date order different over there. Day/Month/Year as opposed to Month/Day/Year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    JediBatman, Vialco and Dream-Thinker like this.
  8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    UK and Australia share the same dating format. Why all English speaking majority countries don't have the same dating formats really puzzles me sometimes.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  9. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Would have to get them all to stop using metric first...[face_laugh]

10. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I prefer meters/centimeters to miles/feet. Too confusing.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I hope the book gives a bit of context to the Imperial Remnant and what's what? I'm still trying to rap my head around what exist and what doesn't.

12. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Well, I'll need this.

I skipped the TROS one out of antipathy over the movie and spoilers that it didn't cover the fleet. I've heard it's really good so maybe I'll pick it up along with the Mando one now that I'm slightly less irritated over TROS itself.

Vialco likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean smallest to largest makes the most sense for dates... so yes, 1st July 2021.

Vialco likes this.
  14. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    The complete exclusion of Palpatine in the TROS Visual Dictionary is still a sore spot for me. The entire books dances around the fact that Darth Sidious still lives. The closest thing they offer is hints such as Kylo's search and Pryde's true allegiance. But it never acknowledges that Emperor Palpatine still lives. Which is ridiculous, because that fact is in the opening crawl!

15. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    [Exclusive] The Mandalorian: The Ultimate Visual Dictionary will not be published

It was initially planned that Pablo Hidalgo’s book The Mandalorian: The Ultimate Visual Dictionary would have been published on July 1 in the UK and then a few days later in the US. In Hungary, publishing house Kolibri planned to publish it entitled A mandalore-i: Képes útmutató. But according to our source, who knows a lot about Disney’s work,

the English version of the book will not be published, so of course, there is no chance for the Hungarian edition either.

Our source told us that either the publisher (DK) or Lucasfilm did not justify the decision. But our informant heard that neither party really wanted to publish the volume. This comes as a shock because the Visual Guides are among the most popular reference books, containing a wealth of in-universe background information about a particular movie, its locations, characters, and vehicles.

From here, we speculate: I think that what behind the decision may be that they don’t want to issue more and more Visual Guides about The Mandalorian every two seasons. The decision is more logical after it has become official, Lucasfilm is creating a story flow of several live-action series. It is called Mandoverse by fans, which is connected by their story and characters. I find it easy to imagine that we will receive a Visual Dictionary after the end of The Mandalorian series. Or possibly some seasons of several series in the Mandoverse will be discussed at once by the first such book.

In any case, fans will surely be sad, as I may not be exaggerating if I call The Mandalorian: The Ultimate Visual Dictionary the most anticipated Star Wars book of 2021. We asked DK and Lucasfilm about the book’s cancellation, but have not responded to our request in the last few days, and the title can still be pre-ordered on some webshops.

By the way, our source is the same person who told us about Project Luminous last year, which was later renamed The High Republic. We were the first in the world to write the Project Luminous’ info, the vast majority of which were correct and were mentioned by MakingStarWars.net or Star Wars Explained, just to name a few. This person also told us months before the premiere of The Mandalorian’s first season that the protagonist would find a child who would spend much of the first season babysitting…

https://ziro.hu/english/exclusive-t...fzB_VdXwCs98zvU_1yEyfJtRLvePOsk8PhbT48lIt7-tY

JediFett10 and AusStig like this.
  16. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Hopefully not true. I don't see that Lucasfilm would cancel a book purely because of future material being planned, especially since the sequels all got Visual Dictionaries as they went along. I could see it being delayed in order to incorporate further information from Season 3, I guess...but again, we've had plenty of "complete" guides that get an updated version a couple of years later.

Maybe it's got something to do with the Gina situation.

17. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    I really hope this isn't true. I was really excited for this book, since I love the Visual Guides and similar reference books.

Vialco likes this.
  18. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    If true the reasoning sounds ridiculous.

So here's a big idea . . . if you don't want make a new book every two seasons, maybe *don't*? This isn't a homework assignment, no one is forcing you to do this. But you can still publish the book you already announced. After all Marvel made comic book adaptations of the first two ST films, but canceled the TROS comic. It's probably more due to COVID than lack of sales. But it's the same principle. If the books aren't popular enough to justify further Mando Visual Guides, then just stop after the first one.

Yeah sure, don't publish a tie in book while the show is still popular. Wait until the show has ended and fan interest is petering out. That's always a good decision!

Honestly for this one, I kind of get it. When you have Star Wars books with titles like "The *Complete* Guide to Whatever", that title becomes a lie as soon as the next film is released. (It still bugs me that the New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels is missing content from ROTS, which came out only 2 years after the book). And some stuff like the Kenobi and Cassian shows will be set during the OT era, so probably not a whole lot of new vehicle designs. If you don't have enough content, grouping everyting together into one super guidebook makes sense.

HOWEVER . . . if they were planning on releasing it this year, they clearly thought Mando seasons 1-2 had enough content to fill it's own book. So if we do get this hypothetical "Mandoverse" book, either they'll have to cut out some Seasons 1-2 stuff, or it will be as thick as a textbook.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This seems the most logical

Vialco likes this.
  20. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I get that they want to distance themselves from her, but scrapping a hotly anticpated book seems a bit like overkill to me. At that point you might as well edit her out of the previously aired episodes. But on the plus side, if this does evolve into a "Mandoverse" book maybe they'll just edit out the Cara Dune pages and still have some of the content intended for this book. (Assuming the cancellation rumors are true of course).

Vialco likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean this sight could also be B.S as well.

JediBatman likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    There is no indication from Amazon that it's cancelled.

23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    If it's do with the Gina situation, this seems like it could be relatively easy to remove those pages focused on Cara. Most of the visual guides have two pages specifically focused on each character, so I can't imagine that there's a ton of material on just Cara. I have no clue what the lead time to print a book is but with a July release that seems pretty feasible.

Hopefully this is just a rumor.

AusStig and JediBatman like this.
  24. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    UPDATE (15. February 2021.)
    Our source has new information that explains somewhat the cancellation of the book. The Visual Guide was shut down at the last minute because the multiple, interconnected series coming to Disney+ requires a different strategy. Lucasfilm wants to have more control over the books. According to our source The Mandalorian: The Ultimate Visual Guide – or an updated and changed version – will not be released before 2022.

https://ziro.hu/english/exclusive-t...mate-visual-dictionary-will-not-be-published/

25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    To be fair, looking at the trend of releasing the Visual Dictionaries and Guides alongside the films, it's obviously led to a fair few continuity hiccups, and of course things like leaving Palpatine out of TROS's one because of spoilers. Actually waiting a while until a bigger bulk of the material is out makes sense in that regard...though I don't know why a guide covering Seasons 1 and 2 couldn't have been released and then an updated version (or Season 3 + Boba Fett + whatever else is out by then) in a couple of years.

Ah, well. That's a shame. I think Mando really could do with more expanded material. Ironically, for all that certain sections of the internet claim the sequels are being erased because there's not much content coming out about them, their darling Mando has had almost no material whatsoever beyond the two seasons, and only a scattering of references in other works.

JediBatman likes this.