main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books The Mandalorian: The Ultimate Visual Guide

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Jun 30, 2020.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    *sigh*. Well, crossing this off my list of things to look forward to this year.
    And they weren't going to cancel the book because a minor character's contract wasn't renewed.

Vialco likes this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Coherent Axe

TFA's visual dictionary being the most prominent examples

Sad but delicious irony.

The ST's have...A Spin-Off cartoon in Resistance, a bunch of books, a successful Poe Dameron Comic, still on going IDW adventures and Lego Holiday Special.

Vialco and JediBatman like this.
  3. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Another thing is, what would a "Mandoverse" Guide be billed as a guide to? Given that we have to have to put it in quotes just to describe it and there's no official, discrete umbrella title for it as of yet (and as far as I'm concerned it can stay that way). It seems unlikely that they'd do a book called "STAR WARS LIVE ACTION TV SERIES SET DURING A CERTAIN TIMEFRAME: THE COMPLETE VISUAL GUIDE", or "THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE MANDALORIAN AND THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT AND RANGERS OF THE NEW REPUBLIC AND AHSOKA AND OTHER RANDOM BITS OF LORE". There's probably a fairly IU-seeming way to describe it, like just the post-Endor galaxy, but given that ANDOR and OBI-WAN would be excluded just for starters... it really feels that the cleanest (and most lucrative) way is a book for each show.

There really does seems to be a strangely ST-like reticence to go all-in on lit in the Mando era, except that unlike the ST there's no real reason for it. I mean, the art books are great, there just aren't any stories other than the onscreen stuff so far. Maybe the launch of the High Republic plays a role in that, though.

JediBatman likes this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean is it that strange they wanna go all in ;)

5. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    I mean it's the same company that released the Ultimate Visual Guide like one month before TROS. I don't see why they wouldn't release that one without a good reason. I think there is enough stuff to talk about too.

6. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    It's really disappointing if we don't get this. Star Wars Visual Guide books are filled with so much content that it's a shame we just get re-releases and no new information.

7. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Well in terms of tie in stories, shows are a bit of a different beast. For film trilogies tie in stories usually focused on events between the films. That's not an option with a show. Of course they could go with the option of "this is an adventure that took place between episodes". Lots of Star Trek and Doctor Who tie ins go this route. But those shows have a structure where usually every episode is a different adventure with no relation to the previous episode. The Mandalorian is a lot more serialized, with one episode leading into the next. And if they want tie in stories around this era but not centered around this character . . . well that's where the new shows come in.

So that explains the seeming reluctance to have other tie in stories for this era. That just leaves world building visual guide type books. And with Season 2 out they definitely have enough content, which is why the speculations for why they're dragging their feet make no sense to me. If it's for continuity errors, well visual guides are usually light on big ones. (The ST ones are an exception, but that's just because no one working on those films had any idea where they were going). Like I said before the only way to avoid them completely is to wait till the show is over, in which case what's the point of tie ins anymore?

And if it's to get a Visual Guide that talks about 4 shows at once, it sounds messy and like they'll have to cut a lot out.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yeah, I don't like the idea of stuffing all of the "Mando-verse" shows into one guide...but maybe that won't be happening. Nothing's suggested it; just that the S1/S2 guide is being held back/replaced/revised because of these future shows. Which could be as simple as they're still figuring out details of those shows, so writing up the lore at this stage is too early.

Hopefully this'll see a release eventually, with revised info, as well as either dedicated books for Boba, Ahsoka, Rangers, etc or a separate single volume for those three if perhaps there's not enough material to justify one each. Though we still haven't had Visual Dictionaries for each film of the OT, so.

JediBatman likes this.
  9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    As of moments ago both Amazon and Barnes & Noble were still accepting pre-orders for this book, and DK still lists it on their site along with additional pre-order links for Books-A-Million and IndieBound. If this book has been canceled, a lot of people (including its publisher) would seem to have not gotten the message yet.

Vialco, Hamburger_Time and JediBatman like this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Amazon UK is still taking pre-orders as well.

Vialco likes this.
  11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Huh. Well, I'm used to bogus leaks being about bigger things, and more obviously bogus, but maybe this is the exception and the book is still good to go.

12. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    DK is still listing this, complete with pre-order links. I don't know about y'all but I'm starting to doubt that cancellation rumor.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Same here.
    I'm not preordering, but I'm adding it back to my "Looking For To..." list for 2021.

Vialco likes this.
  14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

just found this

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - a similar statement came out for the adult novel.

harryhenry and AusStig like this.
  17. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    LOL they actually copypasted the same message just changed the names [face_laugh]

18. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    So the Ziro page was telling the true.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

20. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    I think this weird, it looks like that they will do a mandoverse, for do this, you need plan, DK and Del Rey announce the books, to cancel like this, in the end, both shouldn´t be announced.

21. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    And I was looking forward to a cross section for this...

[​IMG]

22. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Fine, now I will believe the Visual Guide has been canceled. That's a bummer, but hopefully we'll see that material in some other form, whether it's a more broadly-scoped "Mandoverse" guide or what-have-you.

AusStig likes this.
  23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I stand by what I said before. It is annoying when "complete guides" quickly become outdated. (If the New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels had waited a year or 2, they could have included all the ships introduced in ROTS). Or when we get the literary equivalent of Paid DLC, and a complete book is chopped up into smaller books so you have to pay more for the complete package. So I understand if they're doing this to wait until they have enough material for a "Mando Verse" book.

However, I have two concerns: A) If they already had enough material for 1 book, I hope they don't cut out material for the first two seasons to make room for the material B) With tie in merch it's best to strike while the iron is hot. If you wait until we have the "complete story", that usually means the show is over and fan interest has waned.
    Me too, I was hoping to see how that clown car looked on the inside. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@JediBatman

I disagree with this point slightly...Maybe with Films....But with TV series I honestly want the Tie-In stuff...AFTER the series is over because I know they won't be making more episodes but I still want more stories.

I feel this way very much with She-Ra after it ended.

Oh and on your first point TCW 2008 got a visual dictionary in 2008 and it ONLY EVER covered Season 1...and it never got a new one .

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2021
  25. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I've said it before...they should have blocked them. Eps 1-6 as a volume (the first Complete Vehicles) and then 7-9, R1 and Solo as another volume. Still waiting on the animated series complete vehicles book.

As for the clown car...I read 36 troops could be carried...so 9 against each hull with 18 back to back down the middle.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Barriss_Coffee and JediBatman like this.