main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books The Mandalorian: The Ultimate Visual Guide

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Jun 30, 2020.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ugh. Oh well... I guess 2021 is a wash for SW guides.

Vialco likes this.
  2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    My main concern is ship information and cross sections...the least they could do is put those up on their website.

AusStig likes this.
  3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I know concept art and such for canceled works is sometimes posted online, but that's usually years afterwards. Rumor is the whole reason they canceled this visual guide was because they're going to make a giant visual guide with all the material from the upcoming shows as well. But even if that's not true, there's always the possibility this book will be uncancelled, or it will be released in a different form, or the cross sections will be used in some other project. No sense putting that stuff on their website right away when it might get repackaged later.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Gonna be honest as someone who remembers the 2008 TCW visual dictionary ....I'm kinda okay with them waiting on this.

5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I miss the guide Season by Season thing. Think of the MONEY they'd have made and the INFO we the fans would've gotten!

6. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    Pablo Hidalgo, now with an alternate public twitter account, just confirmed why the book was cancelled: Indeed, it was because all the new shows coming out meant that such a project was put on hold as things developed.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Cynda, Dream-Thinker and Vialco like this.
  7. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    I don’t suppose he went on to explain why shows that aren’t The Mandalorian prevented them from releasing a guidebook about The Mandalorian?

8. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    It’s already there in the tweet: It grew from one show to multiple, related shows.

Dream-Thinker and VexedAtVohai like this.
  9. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Many of the shows that aren't The Mandalorian will still frequently be crossing over with it. The Favreau/Filoni stuff could almost be treated as one massive project.

10. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    As far as I know The Mandalorian, Ashoka, Boba Fett, etc. are all their own shows rather than the same show. Apparently there was enough material to make a book about The Mandalorian before those shows were announced, so all of that same material should still exist afterward. Just don’t include information from those shows that don’t exist yet. I remember them making multiple guidebooks for The Force Awakens even though we already knew they were making two more movies that were somewhat related. I’m skeptical that these tangentially connected spin-off shows about secondary characters are going to completely subvert and redefine everything that could be covered in a guide to the first two years of The Mandalorian.

Sturm Antilles and JediBatman like this.
  11. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I guess this means that most upcoming comics and books in the next few years, not just guide books, will not take place during events in the years between the OT and ST.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  12. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Or they'll have to create their own new cast of characters in a different part of the galaxy in that time period, like the Thrawn Ascendancy books but set in the Hapes Cluster or the Corporate Sector.

Daneira and Cynda like this.
  13. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I’m all for that. I really like the cast of Chiss that Tim Zahn created for his Ascendancy novels.

Daneira, Vialco and VexedAtVohai like this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm ok with this...Glad to see them policing these areas a bit more now.

15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It's so weird that Pablo has a public account again. He just really seems like someone who doesn't have the stomach for interacting with the public, getting mad at fan reactions and questions and the like. I wonder how long it's going to take before he responds bitterly, angrily, or offensively to someone. Hopefully never, but who knows.

Golbolco likes this.
  16. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I’m honestly surprised that he just outright confirmed what was going on with publishing. I expected obfuscation at the very least.

Golbolco likes this.
  17. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    That's an actually good reason to delay something. Was worried maybe Gina The Brat threw a fit about the book using her likeness/character, since the cancellation story broke right after she was fired.

18. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Why would you think that? I'm no expert on copyright law, but I'm pretty sure anything with Cara Dune is a publicity issue and not a copyright issue. Think about it, why would they not be allowed to sell a book filled with still images of her character from the show, but still be allowed to air the show those images came from?

If they didn't still own the character, they'd have to edit her out of the show. Like when Hasbro reprinted early Transformers comics and had to cut out the guest appearance by Spider-Man.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  19. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    That's the more realistic of the two, but I think it is also the continuity thing. Not that it's been much of an issue before, but perhaps they think it would become obsolete too quickly, and sales would then drop off too soon? We haven't had on-screen content release this frequently in the past.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    JediBatman and AusStig like this.
  20. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah if Gina being moved on was the issue it would likely come from disney removing stuff that was setting her up for other stuff that now they won't do.

JediBatman likes this.
  21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This Visual Guide remains dead, but some of the information that would have been in it may yet see the light of day in Star Wars The Mandalorian Handbook: Explore the Galaxy with Grogu, a newly-announced young-readers guidebook from DK. The Amazon preview hints at this by not only offers a clear look at the "ravinak" creature that attacked the Razor Crest in episode 1, but reveals the name of the ice planet in that episode (Pagodon), which to the best of my knowledge is new info.

22. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Huh, I know there was confusion that the Ice Planet in the first episode was identified as "Maldo Kreis," and then the Ice Spider Planet in season 2 was also identified as "Maldo Kreis," though there was nothing in the episode to confirm or deny that Din had been there before. Nothing was explicitly wrong but my initial reading of the intent of the episode was that they were different planets. I'm curious if changing the ice planet in the first episode to Pagodon is either a correction to a misidentified planet, or an attempt to sort out that little bit of weirdness.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This is such an awesome design:

[​IMG]

24. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Wonder if we might get combined New Republic Era tv show source books covering Mandalorian, Ahoska, Book of Boba Fett, and Rangers of the New Republic if it comes out or whatever replaces it if something does.

Big trouble is coming up with a catchy name for the collective of shows.

Kind of a shame really. I liked the idea that Maldo Kreis, while still an ice planet, had some different environments with the town being over an ocean area and the ice spiders being in a volcanic area.

Ewoklord likes this.