main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Official "The Mandalorian" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Corran1138, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I am hugely excited for this show, but I am also slightly worried about the content. A series set in the Star Wars underworld would be fantastic, but it would have to be done right. Shows like Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones have proven that well made sci-fi and fantasy can enjoy huge success with the mainstream TV audience. That said, those shows are gritty and very adult. I don't expect or really want GoT levels of sex and violence in a Star Wars show, but it has to have some level of grit and adult content. I wonder if Disney are willing to make a show for adults only.

Alhazred likes this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Maybe but I wouldn't be surprised if it's set post Ep IX. Or in that same time-frame. After they're done with prequels like R1 & Solo, I suspect LFL will shift the focus towards moving the story forward, rather than getting bogged down in prequel & "filling in gap" storylines. Going forward instead of backwards frees up the writers to do almost anything they want. Without needing to worry about forward continuity. Post-ST I think we'll see a few ST characters spun off into their own movies & perhaps this series will tie into that too.

3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    There's also Galaxy's Edge to consider. Given that LFL seem keen to explore all sorts of storytelling methods (eg, VR) the TV series could form part of a multi-media story with the theme park. I believe that the theme park is based on the ST era with First Order and Resistance.
    Further, if it was set in the ST era, many of the props (and potentially even sets) developed for the movies can be re-used for the series, thus saving them a little in the way of the costs.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Obviously, if they decide to make Underworld they would have to tinker it to better line up with the current established timeline because there were no Ezra's message of rebellion or the Erso family at the time.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Underworld was based on organised crime in the lower levels of Coruscant. The cancelled game, 1313, was meant to be what launched the live-action series; all to do with bounty hunters and imperial politics. Star Wars meets House of Cards. As I've said many times, the scripts are in Disney's hands and they were interested in them.

But, I have a little feeling (based of the new announced of another trilogy), Disney might visit the Old Republic. Complete blank slate, no established characters in the canon and don't have to worry about continuity in relation to the movies.

Darth_Pevra and kalzeth like this.
  6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I️ have little doubt that animation will continue, but with a live action series too it may lead to a greater degree of niche specialization. Animation might focus on more kid specific outings like the Freemaker series and Forces of Destiny, while the Live Action Series might be more teen+ affair.

I’m really enjoying what CBS is doing with Star Trek Discovery, and a second season was swiftly announced after good reviews and presumably a swelling of CBS All Access subscribers. With the announcement of the Disney streaming service, I️ suspected they might do the same thing. With the popularity of the franchise and Disney’s potential for a massive budget, I️ think they could do something great.

This announcement has me excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett and kalzeth like this.
  7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    When season 4 had been announced as the final season of Star Wars Rebels at Celebration, he said that this didn't meant the end of Star Wars animation since he's also "creatively overseeing future animation development".

8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    The next animated series has been rumoured for years. Going all the way back to the announcement of Rebels season 2; there has been no questioned about the animation coming to an end.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I kind of hope that it isn't something set between III and IV since that timeline has been explored very heavily as of late, but if they can come up with something compelling than I'll bite regardless of the era they choose. Personally, I'd like to see an anthology series set between VI and VII where they can tell stories like the rise of the First Order.

kalzeth likes this.
  10. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    The only way I'd want another project set between episode 3 and 4 is if it is Underworld. That is because GL had worked on it for years for a reason and any SW story with GL heavily involved is always something I was interested into. If not Underworld then I would be less interested about it unless it is a story set in an unexplored era (the Old Republic). Not too interested in the post-RotJ era but I would like more stories about Finn, Rey, Poe and BB-8.

11. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    A live action series? I wonder it with be set before the prequels or Old Republic based?

kalzeth likes this.
  12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Yeah, this is quite exciting, first live action SW tv show. And it could be about anything. Also, 2019 isn’t all that far away, so we shouldn’t have to wait to long for more details.

kalzeth likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I hope they explore the time period before episode I in some form of media. Not necessarily the Old Republic. All we have as of now is a bit of lore and that story about Yoda from the comic. Qui Gon's apprenticeship under Dooku would be an interesting story to explore.

whostheBossk and kalzeth like this.
  14. BrotherKylo

BrotherKylo Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    Very excited for this. Cant wait to see what it is about.

Hopefully it is in the new trilogy world. Would love to see more of Kylo and The First Order

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well, People wanted an incentive to get this new Disney service. They got that.

16. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I hope it's before Episode 1, but within 100 years of it. That would be quite interesting to me.

17. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Didn't expect it so soon, but I'm really excited for this!

New SW movie every year, new live action show, probably new animated show as well, this is an exciting time to be a fan!

Also, if the live action show is more oriented towards adults, its possible the next animated show will be even more kids oriented than Rebels, similarly to The Freemaker Adventures or the Forces of Destiny.

kalzeth likes this.
  18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I could see a KOTOR tv show being quite expensive and would probably suit films better.

Unless they plan on going GOT on it they may wanna go abit smaller like underworld which would be set in its own smaller part of the universe.

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

If it is Underworld, it will be set straight after RoTS and Empires early days.

20. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    You can make anything work if its written the right way, directed the right way, edited the right way, with actors that work. Any script, no matter the content, lack of content, weirdness, etc can be good. In fact, I believe the majority of scripts and ideas in hollywood are supposed to be top notch but something just doesn't go right in one or more of the areas listed. Imagine mad max fury road's script.

BookExogorth, TetsuAero and revan772 like this.
  21. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    When the Jedi and Sith were still alive and feudy, oh yeah!

BookExogorth and kalzeth like this.
  22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I guess. But that doesn't make me want a Palpatine romance arc more.

BookExogorth likes this.
  23. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I meant a time when the sith were hidden but still a poison and the jedi were still a beacon of light, but there are other odd forces of evil and corruption abounding.

cwustudent likes this.
  24. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I am definitely hoping that Disney explores this era, with the next Animated Series. Not that I wouldn't want to see a Live Action Show set in this time period; but animation would allow them to bring back Luke, Han, and Leia. Not only to have them together in good times; but to also show how things got to where they are in the Force Awakens.

I doubt that is true. Probably just some internet rumor. :p

25. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    It wasn't a rumor, unfortunately. Somebody who wrote for the series mentioned in an interview that he read that exact script.

Outsourced likes this.