main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Marvel Cinematic Universe’s impact on new Star Wars films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Because under the current LFL, we’re talking about multiple creative individuals directing films, not one man who’s losing his touch. And saddling all of them with a house style and an overly restrictive Story Group would be a shame. I’d rather get an occasional AOTC than decades of vanilla.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I'd struggle to classify Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, or The Guardians of the Galaxy films as "vanilla," and considering Lawrence Kasdan seems to have been the main force behind not just the story but also the decision to reshoot much of it with Ron Howard when it didn't fit his vision, I kind of feel like "vanilla" is the perfect way to describe the film, and I'd say Kasdan's unusual power in that film kind of fits your depiction of what the creative leads should do.

And again, I think you're ignoring how many of the the best Star Wars films have been group collaboration that yet still had a guiding story vision. ESB's story was the result of collaboration between Lucas and Kasdan (with some question as to who exactly came up with the Vader reveal) but the final film itself was the result of Kirshner, Kasdan and Lucas struggling and collaborating to make it a great movie. Rogue One was apparently very, *very* different in its final form when LFL stepped in and kept Edwards's tone and style, but rejiggered the plot and story to tighten it up and include Vader's scenes, arguably the highlights of the movie. And TFA was clearly a combination of Abrams, Kasdan, and straight-up improvisation to achieve the agreed upon story objectives.

Creative freedom to a director is no guarantee of a great film or a bad film. And it's a fallacy to attach a "cookie cutter" narrative to all MCU movies when clearly they've given much more freedom to directors and writers in later phases; Edgar Wright being fired from Ant-Man is a stain on the potential of that movie, but Taika Waititi sure as hell wasn't shackled by Feige, and we know that the Russo brothers were allowed to redefine and largely reconstruct Thano to their tastes and story specifications in Infinity War.

An overbearing Story Group *could* smother creative geniuses, but that's far from the only possible outcome. They can offer scaffolding for great creators to reach higher than they would otherwise. And to be honest, I'd say that characterization and long term objectives *should* be valued greater than pure writing freedom; micro-managing is bad, but so is forgetting who the protagonists are in your ST entry. At best, you should hope that a Story Group acts as quality control on the films that suffer issues with their scripts: I'd much rather have Doctor Strange or Ant-Man style movies than more AOTCs or TLJs.

3. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Taika’s Ragnarok is the only MCU film that was allowed considerable artistic freedom outside the house style, though it was still consistent with the brand. Everything else, even though occasionally quite good (I really enjoyed IW and appreciated the cultural relevance of BP) is still shackled, IMO, by this mass-produced look and feel. Kathleen doesn’t want that for SW, and it’s one of many reasons I’m on her side, even if TLJ didn’t scratch my itch.

And there’s nothing vanilla about Solo or Rogue One. Those films feel like unique films, not standard tentpole blockbusters. They’ve got blood, guts, style. They look good, but are a little rough around the edges. That’s how I like Star Wars. And LFL, unless fans are successful in dragging the studio into becoming a cheap imitations of Marvel, like Star Wars that way too.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  4. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    SW doesn't pump out 3 - 5 movies a year either and hopefully it never does. Ragnarok was very well done, but it was also Thor's standalone movie, not the Avengers.

It's very jarring to have a saga tying the OT cast to a new generation and go from what the TFA did then jump abruptly what TLJ does. Especially when there's absolutely no time jump that separates the two.

Darth Wardawg, 2Cleva and PendragonM like this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I've never watched the MCU except for the first Iron Man, but Disney's SW very much feels like an assembly line style to me. The "grit" is slightly turned up in the two spinoffs, but it's all largely driven by the rebels vs. Empire dynamic and all its visual accoutrements, on-the-go snappy banter, Earth-like frontier worlds with used-future set dressing. I definitely look elsewhere now if I want something that speaks of an individually-minded creative ambition.

PendragonM likes this.
  6. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Yeah - it was clear Disney was trying the assembly line approach to films with Star Wars like Marvel. Not as many but at least 1 a year. However they didn't have the depth of stories to draw off of. If they would have just adapted the EU for stories they would have had a better foundation. And I wasn't an EU fan but Disney is trying to re-invent the wheel with each director/writer. Should have just mined the existing content and adapted it for the screen - that's what Marvel did at it worked. Longtime fans got what they wanted. New fans who didn't know the stories were entertained. And writers don't have to start from square one so they can focus on adding their own personal touches to the story.

The Marvel blueprint is a good one, the most successful out there. It would be wise to learn from it, even if its not copied.

Going forward all we know is more time will be taken between films but besides that - no clue of the story plan and how to make sure its a interconnected cinematic universe.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Guardians of the Galaxy was defiantly not Marvel style when it first premiered; it's success is part of what triggered the divide of the house style into a more diverse group of subsets, especially when accompanied by Captain America: Winter Soldier allowing for a more serious alternative at the same time.

And Rogue One was a collaborative movie taken over by the LFL office, so it doesn't help your argument, since it's DNA is very much more of a Marvel movie based off one of the most prolific story themes of the old EU and filled withe references to them, and the film was remixed by people who weren't Gareth Edwards.

And TLJ is almost stereotypically MCU-"House style," with tension breaking humor at odd places that undermines dramatic weight, weak, cardboard cut-out villains (something that hurt Kylo and Hux as villains after promising starts in TFA), and an over-reliance on meta-textual views of the story that doesn't really hold up as well in retrospection. In fact, modern MCU films are stronger because they came to understand their flaws and compensated for them, while TLJ seems to succumb to them in spades.

8. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I remember when GOTG came out and how it felt like a whole different kind of movie. It was so bizarrely different and super charming at the same time (and I will forever insist that is in major part thanks to Nicole Perlman).

And while I do think its style of humor influenced other Hollywood blockbuster movies (in which I include TLJ), I do think GOTG was itself a groundbreaker in terms of presenting something uniquely new. Previous Marvel movies had some humor, but GOTG took humor to a whole new (and intelligent) level, and in a way that it did not distract from the drama. I remember laughing and crying when I watched the movie, it was a fantastic movie experience for me.

Also, I’m not too keen on defending LFL for supposedly supporting “artistic freedom” when they 1) reigned in on Gareth Edwards and 2) fired the initial Solo directors for not liking their direction. They had that narrative of “we are bringing in new talent!” for the Anthology movies going on for a while, but clearly, that didn’t work with their committee vision. And now they are only bringing same old Hollywood successful white guys. Huh.

Meanwhile, the superhero franchises are the ones betting on actually new/underrated talent instead of Hollywood power houses, and not having the new guys fired for whatever or letting someone else reign in. Ryan Coogler, Patty Jenkins, Taika Waititi…

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m talking about the end results of the Disney era LFL films seeming very atypical for Hollywood blockbusters. How they get there is not relevant to my point. Aside from Ragnarok, and perhaps the first GotG, MCU films all feel like amped up 90s TV to me. Same cheap formula rinsed and repeated. With some, like IW and BP, just doing it a little better. The SW films so far all feel very different front each other, and different from the blockbuster norm. Kennedy deserves enormous credit for that, and she certainly doesn’t deserve howling fans wishing she was more like fanboy Feige.

10. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Agree that GOTG was uniquely different from other MCU movies. And Hulk, but it was made before the House Style was set.

Disagree with everything else. I feel TLJ humor was well timed. And Ren is more like if Anakin had given into the dark side on Tatooine and was conflicted until the lava bath. Well, actually Anakin was still conflicted on Mustafar crying after having dispatched with the Separatist Council.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The “House Style” is the main issue. What if LFL set a rigid House Style, and you don’t like it? That means you’ll probably dislike all the SW films. At least with a system where directors have a lot of creative freedom, there will always be a chance that the next director shares your sensibilities more than that last.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  12. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    When a brand doesn't have a clear identity it suffers.

The strategy of "if you don't like this one, try this next one that could be totally different" reminds me of the DC cinematic failures.

Transformers has been bad quality movies for a while but keep making money because the audience knows what they're getting. Like McDonald's.

I can't think of a cinematic franchise that works being all over. DC TV shows do well because they are consistent.

To the original comparison - Marvel Studios does this very well across the board for those same reasons. Both large and small screen they are consistent in their type of stories. Individuals can put their own spin on it being true to the characters (Spiderman isnt like The Punisher) but formula works and fans have faith in it.

Star Wars under Lucas the same way. Disney stories. Pixar as well.

I can't think of any major brand that isn't consistent that does well and keeps public trust. If someone has examples of this working - by all means share.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    afrojedi and PendragonM like this.
  13. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    X-Men worked well allowing different styles.

The odd thing about SW is that people are boycotting because they didn't like 1 film out of 4. Which is a very odd success rate to declare a boycott over. DC is essentially the opposite - people didn't like 3 films out of 4, and yet people like to compare them, which is baffling.

14. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    SW had a house style, and I personally thought it was swell. R1 stuck to it, and big surprise, it’s my favorite Disney SW.

SW is a spiritual family story of good versus evil in an adventure context. You can blur the lines between good versus evil, like in R1, but if you destroy the line while destroying the concept of family, like in TLJ, you’ve made what I personally don’t come to SW for. Inevitably I’ll be here next time they return to the house style, or formula, that I think this franchise belongs to.

15. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I'd argue Lucas was one of the people who abhorred a 'house style', and to extent there is a house style (underlying themes) it has been maintained by all of the current films.

Each of Lucas's SW films were fairly distinct, which is why many people had problems with the PT. In this way TLJ is just as similar to ANH as AOTC is to ANH. The underlying thees were maintained in my opinion - TLJ reinforces the concept of good vs evil (it discusses then subject to confirm what the other films says) and I'd argue it expands the concept of family by suggesting that family is also beyond blood.

16. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Lucas saw SW as a family soap opera. He is very very clear about that. But he definitely did like creativity. He wasn’t a “soft reboot” kind of guy. Basically, the ST just did the opposite of what Lucas believed in for SW. Destroy the family, otherwise copy the source.

SW has always shown family as extending beyond blood. It’s an extreme misunderstanding of previous SW films, and GL, not to understand that. The ST didn’t expand on family. They destroyed the blood family of the Skywalkers, and Rey’s found family from TFA.

wobbits, afrojedi, 11-4D and 3 others like this.
  17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    TLJ doesn't 'destroy' family. Rey, and the other characters, have found each other - a family. The theme of family has been maintained from Lucas's era.

18. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Rey was more concerned about being there for Kylo than she was about her “family” that he maimed and murdered. That doesn’t reflect any family value that I’m aware of.

wobbits, afrojedi, 11-4D and 3 others like this.
  19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes one instance of the hero of being a fool means the entire ST isn't about family. Despite the fact she ultimately rejects Kylo and saves her family and will no doubt fight for them in the future.

rorow1 likes this.
  20. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I didn’t criticize her for being a fool. I criticized the film for having her for whitewashing the murder and maiming of her supposed family. That doesn’t happen inside of a real family.

wobbits, afrojedi, 11-4D and 4 others like this.
  21. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    [​IMG]

22. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Luke, Han, Leia and "Ben" - that family is intact and wonderful. Yeah, not so much.

I even have to read fans saying that they never expected Luke, Han and Leia to remain friends.

Maybe the Manson Family....

(oh, c'mon, someone had to....)

23. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Again, this doesn't mean that the entire trilogy, as a whole, isn't about family.

These films have never been about family being limited to blood.

24. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    X-Men? Definitely debatable. And only different style was Logan and that was a great movie - critics and fans agreed. For SW, specifically TLJ - there are obviously different opinions.

As for SW. People boycotted 2 out of 4. Only the last one caught the full blast. The legs and merchandise sales for TLJ make it clear some fans felt a certain type of way about it. Solo wasn't bad - it just got caught with the full blast.

And as with DC, X-Men, Star Wars, whatever - all of them are viewed through the same lense by the casual moviegoer.

No one is limiting to blood. It was clear in TFA that Han and Finn were family to Rey. In TLJ she threw that aside for whatever that was.

Again - it changes the dynamic of what a Star Wars movie is. Some love that - that's fine. But when brands constantly change up they tend to lose consumer trust. Whether movies or TV or food industry or any other business.

wobbits, afrojedi and AhsokaSolo like this.
  25. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Did I say that? No. Also, originally, Luke, Han and Leia weren't related by blood - like Rey, Finn and Poe now. Or at least what they're trying to do with them. I was disputing

When it most certainly does - it and TFA - Luke, Han, Leia and "Ben."

2Cleva likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.