main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Marvelization of Star Wars - Ya'll ready for this?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Rivenblade, Dec 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Marvelization with the rules of Star Wars can work. Mandalorian has shown this so far, I bet Acolyte will do similar to Mandalorian only give us more into the prequel era.

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Star Wars has been doing this since 1977 with the Marvel comics, then the West End Games and so forth.

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Krueger- You brought up a good point, in reality, star wars has been doing it since back then. Legends even more so and they did it across novels, comic books, video games, trading cards and toys. That may now not sound so hip as everything is either live action movies, live action television or animation but back in the day that was the funk.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  4. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    So the Airbender franchise (which has been pretty much dormant) is coming back with this kind of model from the start.

It's pretty clear that this is just the default setting for all genre properties from here on out.

And we should basically be grateful that SW is doing it on par with Marvel as opposed to their Distinguished Competition.

5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I think that was always the endgame even when they were still working on Underworld. To establish a live action series and wait a few seasons before branching out into spinoff shows. I don't know about big crossover events like what Filoni and Favreau are doing but the idea of having multiple live action series running at the same time has lasted much longer than the Disney buyout. Lucas even planed to have have a TCW spinoff at one point and the idea of having spinoff movies came from him.

It just seems like a logical conclusion if you want to keep Star Wars in people's minds and to keep Lucasfilm afloat long after Lucas is gone. As far as for reboots, I don't expect to have another one any time soon, maybe in a few decades after the old guard is gone.

Shamear likes this.
  6. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    That's a good point. Early Lucas interviews suggest that he had non-saga movies in mind early on. One of those was an all-Wookiee movie, even, and it might be the way the Holiday Special turned out that sort of dampened his enthusiasm for that. But it always seemed to me that stuff like the Ewok movies (and, relevantly, Young Indy on TV) were meant to be bigger parts of the canon and franchise than they turned out to be... if the Ewok movies had been more successful, they'd probably have led to more and still be canon to this day. Point being, Lucas kind of tried to do this multiple times. Arguably TCW was his first success, around the same time as the MCU was starting up.

Mostly Handless and TCF-1138 like this.
  7. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Star Wars has to stay fresh and relevant in people's mind because if not, it will be stuck in the past. So I welcome everything that they are trying to do. The biggest thing though is to get it done without hiccups. At the time GL only doing 6 star wars movies was rough because his company wasn't really coming out with anything. The only thing was the 2008 Indy movie and Red Tails which was an okay movie that didn't light the box office on fire. Everything else was The Force Unleashed, TCW tv series and the novels and comic books. Every now and then you had a video game come out (other than TFU) that was okay (Battlefront 1 and 2 being the exception). The sequel trilogy was a financial success regardless if it was liked or not and Solo was not a bad movie despite the box office. But coming out with different things and tying them together like Marvel is a great thing. It will keep star wars in the minds of people. Thats how Marvel was able to have its success. Star Wars needs shows like Andor, Obi Wan Kenobi, Book of Boba Fett, Mandaloran Season 3, Rangers of the New Republic and Ashoka to really take off when released. If those specific shows flourish then I can truly say that Star Wars is back. I'm hoping that this inspires Lucasfilm to go back and add stuff around the sequel trilogy. I am dying to see Palpy machinations that lead to the Rise of Skywalker.

On another note, I am excited about the Avatar stuff. I've been following it over the years and let me tell you I love the comic books that Dark Horse has come out with. Both animated series are amazing, and the two novels that recently came out are great. I'm also excited to see Halo coming out. The special effects are going to be amazing. The Covenant vs Spartans. Ohh boy I can't wait. I'm already liking what Star Trek is doing and love there series. They have been amazing. I can't wait for Star Trek Discovery 4 along with Picard season 2 and Lower Decks. Man that show cracked me up.

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The Ewok movies will always be canon to me. [face_not_talking]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I just don't think the Marvel formula works with Starwars. Marvel movies are basically the same movie albeit with a different super power in each 1. People want new stories for Starwars. They were long tired of the repeat with The Force Awakens (Basically a New Hope but with a mystery box) There's only so many times you can see our hero group wipe out the Empire which they've been doing forever now. People are tired of it.
    Bring back Lucas and have him write the sequel treatments. Now that will last

10. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    The Sequels would have been the same thing with Lucas at the helm. The Prequels are already the OT part Duex. What makes you think the Sequels would have been anything different than the OT part 33 1/3?

fett 4 likes this.
  11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    From what Lucas said he was going to focus on the Whills and how they feed and control the Force. He said he felt fans would've hated it but love it or hate it, it would've been different than simply redoing the OT again.

The PT has issues but those are in the execution of telling a different story rather than simply redoing the same story or doing a mystery box. Hell I think the PT story is really great it just needed some redrafts.

We know from Bob Iger that was Lucas big issue with TFA that it was simply redoing what came before rather than something new. Iger admitted they even brought those Sequels simply so Lucas couldn't go and film them himself afterwards. That's not just speculation either, Iger admitted it.

With this whole Marvel thing it seems they're going to mystery box the hell out of it and that just won't work.

Shamear and Darth Chuck Norris like this.
  12. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't know, I think Disney will get it right. At least they are trying. The sequels could have been a tad better. Had the communication been in place that would have been different but we now know they didn't. Abrams didn't say jack to Johnson, whom probably didn't say crap back to Abrams. Still not all is broken. Look at all those years people said the prequels suck and now it is viewed way better than the sequel trilogy. The bottom line is star wars is in its infancy with Disney and they'll get it fixed. On another thread someone posted that they hated the magic part of star wars (nightsisters) but you know what with Disney, the force has already been used in ways that has not been used before and that is going to be a constant. Just think, in the High Republic the jedi stick their lightsabers inside some chamber and when they fire their fighters lasers its actually from the light saber. Never had that before in legends and they did some weird stuff.

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    That's simply in comparison and because the PT's failures were in story execution and the ST's are in not having a story at all and simply copying the old one. So no I don't think that will be the case with ST

Shamear likes this.
  14. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Let's not compare the ST to the PT in SWTV please.

15. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    In no way was I comparing it. We've had too many threads on that. I'm just saying that back then it wasn't viewed as great and now it is. That's all.
    All movies have issues, some more than others. I just think that Disney is going to improve. We have to think positive and not all can be negative.
    I think star wars will be great as we move forward. The Marvelization just means getting different stories to branch out with the characters. Star Wars Legends did it before marvel did and they did it primarily with novels, comics and video games in the 1990's to a super success. In the early 2000, we ended up getting the micro series, but other than that there was no other animation until 2008.

16. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That's fair and thank you for clarifying. But we have had too many threads get hostile because of PT vs ST comparisons and that's why we try to avoid it at all costs. I understand where you are coming from. But it's best to not bring up how people don't like pt/st because of blank.

17. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Okay, I won't. But star wars is definitely looking good. I mean with all those shows and then some. Its really branching out.

18. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Thank you. And yes it is. It's nice to have something to look forward too.

vong333 likes this.
  19. Darth Derringer

Darth Derringer Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 1999
    I personally believe what sets The Mandalorian apart from the PTs and STs, is that Jon Favreau's inspirations for the TV series were the same ones that inspired George Lucas when he wrote the original Star Wars. That's the reason why The Mandalorian has elicited the same kind of reaction from fans.
    I agree. The two franchises beat to completely different drums so I take any hand-wringing about SW becoming "marvelized" with a grain of salt. By the same token, I discount remarks about fan service 'pandering' when the cameos play legitimate roles in the plot.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    vong333 likes this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    With recent rumors of Kenobi in Andor, i am starting to see hints of what is to come. These shows will be more interconnective then thought, Lets say Kenobi has his arc and Andor follows up in it with b-plots. I think Ahsoka will now have force ghost Kenobi and Anakin. I think every star wars show with in the timeline know will have something familar, characters, setting and feelings. It all will tell and expand the story from Acolyte to before the Sequels.

21. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I'm looking forward to a lot of the SW series and films that have been announced. Some more than others for sure...

The Marvelization question of the thread draws my attention to the MCU's tendency to place importance on plot points and spectacle. For me, there were few personalities I was genuinely interested in caring for, and the dynamics between them were largely about how those characters reacted to plot. Admittedly, in brilliantly idiosyncractic ways, and I certainly enjoyed the connectivity and spectacle.

But I don't want these to be the only foundations to the SW universe or its stories.

At the moment, the future of SW looks exciting because the imagination has possibilities to wrestle with. The universe is expanding. (And who wouldn't welcome a bit of this exciting expansion of the universe right now in real life).

Din Djarin, IG-11, Grogu, Kuill, Mayfeld all came from nothing and are/were characters I'd like to hear more about.

Seeing a little connectivity with the PT/OT/ST or other series/films might tick the Marvelization boxes - fine by me - but, PLEASE, keep the universe expanding with different stories and characters and genres (that don't contradict or try to re-write other stories). Please don't contract the universe by focussing on the same timeframe or a meta-arc. This universe will automatically exhaust itself and became a chore in real life rather than an inspiration about real life.

Perhaps the SW could be more favourably compared to Lord of the Rings/Middle Earth at this point rather than Marvel?

(Until we see otherwise).

22. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I think what you envision is a few steps too far. There's not a problem with connecting the whole Saga with little details here and there but the same cast from beginning to end may get tiresome.

And best of luck connecting the Prequels to anything else, reproducing the look and feel of those movies is a hard job compared to the Mando/OT continuation.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think connecting Acolyte with the prequels is not as hard as people think. Use green screen to create Corucant and other prequel looking planets.

24. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    With the Marvelization of Star Wars we could have twice the amount of Star Wars when it comes to movies tv shows, and video games. As well as comic books and novels too.

10 or 11 upcoming tv filming of Star Wars projects, you can sure bet they won’t be the only ones because somewhere within months there will be new announcements of movies or tv shows.

Star Wars will have endless amount of movies and tv shows. Both animated and live action.

Plus we still have Rian Johnson’s trilogy coming which I am excited about as well Jd dilards Star Wars movie, Kevin Feige Star Wars movie, taika Watti movie too and patty jenkins rogue squadron movie.

Those movies where announced before the 11 Disney plus Star Wars projects but patty jenkins movie is one of those movies part of the 11 projects just recently announced.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    these 11 new tv shows will just be it for the 2-3 years, plus all we be getting many more games after EA loses it's lisence, Ubisoft might be the first game after Fallen Order 2. I think solo tv shows is in development in secrets, Andor and Acolyte possible spin offs.

black_saber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.