main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Matrix, the SW PT, and LotR: Which Trilogy will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by ElfStar, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. force_storm663

force_storm663 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2002
    The difference between fact and opinion is that while opinion is accepted by SOME fact is accepted by all, lest they look like morons like YOU! Lord of the Rings did not need a movie to make it popular. Quit acting like PJ is a god, because he's not. He didn't do that much for LotR, in fact he cheapened it. There was no deep poetry, there wasn't anything. No good love story, no actually good fights. Nothing. PT: Anakin and Padme is the best love story since Romeo and Juliet. Yoda and Dooku beats out all the battles in the whole LotR. You are a complete idiot for coming to a Star Wars forum and treating the LotR movies like they're gospel. You can pedel your love of LotR somewhere else, because we as major Star Wars fans do not want to hear it. Did you see anyone lining up months in advance of LotR opening? I sure as hell didn't. Lucas made these movies not for money and merchandising as you so blatendly put it, but for the fans who wanted to see Anakin's turn. Nobody was screaming for LotR movies. No one was dying to see Frodo throw some stupid ring into a volcano on the big screen. And this thing about the arena battle meaning nothing and the cave troll meaning something? You're out of your mind! This showed the love of Padme and Anakin coming to pruition, where the cave troll battle just showed the usefulness of mithril! I've said this about a million times, but quit dissin lucas and get the hell of the board

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think Lord of the Rings is as good as Star Wars, if not as long in the end.

3. Darth_Tarpals

Darth_Tarpals Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    They're both excellent in their own way. But still, you'll never get anything but "Star Wars is the best" out of me. I'm a gusher at heart.

4. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "Anakin and Padme is the best love story since Romeo and Juliet."

That's a new one. :p

5. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    FOtR was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I was bored out of my mind for 3 hours plus. That was time out of my life wasted and I want it back. The effects in LOTR were like that out of a TV movie. It was awful and took me right out of the movie. I would rather listen to a collection of the worst dialogue in the history of films than watch any LOTR movie in my lifetime (and if you retort by saying watch TPM and AOTC I will simply respond with "It's more interesting and fun than anything Tolkien or PJ can put on the screen").

Now that that is out of the way. AOTC is as we speak winning for the best movie of the summer. Take your own advice and ignore the box office and look at movie polls, like the one that says AOTC - 57 percent and spiderman 28 percent. The fact that you as a non-fan cant appreciate AOTC makes me care less. As a huge fan of the GFFA, the movie not only satisfied me, but thrilled me with its brilliance and imagination. Lucas created his universe from scratch, Jackson had to steal techniques and someone else's story. Lucas is the most imaginative filmmaker to ever live, period. Prove me otherwise with rational arguements. What other filmmaker has created 2 of the most beloved trilogies in the history of movies? Moreso, which filmmaker can you name that has created sequels all grossing over 290 million dollars?

Your a schmuck if you think Star Wars gets business from LOTR. LOTR gives critics an enemy for star wars. It gives critics a franchise to side with when doing battle against Lucas and Star Wars, just as Spiderman was.

It is time for you to leave these boards if all your going to do is bash the most successful franchise in media history. That's right, Star Wars success spans outside the movies, in books, video games, toys and collectables. Its impact touches every major project from TV shows to motion pictures. The Simpsons uses Skywalker Sound, movies every year use ILM and THX certifies countless movies. For you to deny the fact that Star Wars is timeless and continues to embrace the imaginations of people and captivate their minds around the world, is to be blind to the truth and let ignorance cloud your mind.

Thus, there is no need to argue with you, because it is like fighting a battle with an unarmed infantry.

6. Alec_Guinness

Alec_Guinness Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    Man, JBFett, that's the best thing I've heard all day.

7. EwokSith

EwokSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2001
    I thought you were dead?

8. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    sorry for that....needed to be said :D

9. Ulaleros

Ulaleros Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2001
    any star wars film, not matter how bad, is going to make quite a bit of money. if the next one made 200 million, you'd still be saying the same things like "200 million is a lot for ANY movie!"...and, "how can a film make 200 million if nobody liked it?!?" it remains though that 200 would be a huge disappointment for star wars, just like 300 mil is a moderate disappointment for aotc. if some movie like blood work had made 300 mil it would have stunned everybody, but 300 for aotc is a disappointment. you cant judge all films by a fixed standard, you ahve to factor in expectations. people are going to see a star wars movie in large numbers because it is so ingrained in pop culture. its an EVENT that people want to be a part of, irrespective of the quality of the movie. if lotr and aotc had made the same amount of money, lotr would be the bigger achievement because of the type of movie it is, and because of the expectations that were held for both films. some wont agree with this, but while lotr was expected to do very well, compared to star wars it was the "underdog." same as comparing aotc to blood work. if they had made the same amount, blood work would certainly have been the bigger achievement, because it would have been far far farmore successful than anyone imagined, but aotc would still have been a disappointment in terms of box office receipts.

also, some people bring up polls and things to show how much people liked aotc...but honestly, take the EW readers pole...how often do you see any movie get below something like a b+? hardly ever. that is jsut the way of those polls. casual movie fans will always come out says "it was pretty good, i give it an A-" or whatever. almost all the films on ew polls are like that. even if all the critics slam a movie, if still gets good grades from fans.

10. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    You want to know something very funny? Yes, okay I'll tell you. :)

I enjoy both Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and guess what, they both coexist fine. If I want to come here and compare the two movies in a thread about those two movies, who are you to tell me to leave? Get real, this is an open, public forum. I can discuss what I want, how I want as long as I follow the basic rules.

You sound like children bickering back and forth. Yes, we know. Star Wars ruled and
    %Insert_Movie_that_outperformed_it_at_the_Box_Office% stunk it up, right. Good, intelligent posting guys.

11. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    obhave has nailed it. This thread has become what this forum used to be but managed to get beyond.

Exactly why is it necessary to insult those with whom you disagree? How hard is it to take another person's opinion in stride, to disagree, but do so civilly? The personal attacks that are going on here, on both sides of the debate, make me sorry for the state of the fandom.

I'm going to ask Oakessteve to take a look at the past few days and see if this thread is worthwhile to keep open and if some of the participants here should go away for a few days.

12. Wot_Jedi

Wot_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2002
    Thanks Q-J. Force Storm especially needs a head check, he does nothing but insult people.

It's really sad that SW fans have to start hurling insults when the harsh light of reality breaks in on their little fantasy world (thanks Uleros). The fact is, not everyone [hey, hardly Anyone!] likes the PT. They may watch them because their little kids do or because "it's Star Wars" but they don't really care like they used to. I'm simply comparing that to the enthusiasm people are expressing for LOtRs, both fans and ordinary people.

As for PT being better than anything Tolkien or PJ could create : even Tolkien had some cool ideas (they just needed someone to highlight them and sheer off the unecessary excess) - Lucas can't touch PJ. With that most people will agree.

As for Lucas rivaling Shakespeare : compare the "I don't like sand" monologue to the love scene between Aragorn and Arwen in Rivendell in FOtR and tell me who's been reading the Bard!

13. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I personally would like for this thread to remain open, as I believe we had a nice civil discussion going on here until recently. Hopefully the trolls can be dealt with and we can continue this discussion.

I didn't start this thread in order to insult other people's opinions. I started this thread because I was interested in other people's opinions. Please try to keep that in mind.

14. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I think really that I am going to have to lock this thread, as it does seem to have detoriated into nothing more than a chance to insult one and other.

Oh, and force_storm663, you have no right at all to tell someone to leave the forums. If you do that sort of thing again, you'll get banned, so try not to, eh? It just makes you seem rather petty and ignorant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.