main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts The Micro Series & Genndy Tartakovsky appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by GGrievous, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Likely a Lucas call to delete it, once Lucas parted ways with Genndy. Filoni and Tartakovsky could've made a collaborate effort for the final arc leading into ROTS but probably too many egos would not of made that happen.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  2. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    I think it would be great if Disney would allow an animated battle of coruscant movie. The micro version is fine, but ive always wanted something more. Okay, back to praising. I love the seperatist commander that wants to fight Jedi. He was great. What was his name?

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Oro Dassyne?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Oro_Dassyne

CIS Droid likes this.
  4. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Yes. He was great

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Because George never cared about coordination with others works.

And if I remember correctly it was aate change that grevious coughed a lot.

CIS Droid likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If there's one part of the micro-series that should be canonized, it's the Anakin/Ventress duel.

7. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Yes! That fight is literally the best in all of SW animation.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I can live with that.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Pfft. It only won three Emmy awards, including two for Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming One Hour or More) for Volumes 1 and 2. It's not like it's good or a beloved series or anything.

No but seriously, they should get on that ASAP.

10. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I know! A Blu-Ray release would be so nice. Lucasfilm really needs to treat this show better. I know it's been off air for a decade and is now non-canon, but this show was the reason we got TCW and Rebels. It truly proved Star Wars could work on TV.

whostheBossk and spicer like this.
  11. Galactic Fenix

Galactic Fenix Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    It's not on Blu-Ray? Well that's seriously lame if ya ask me.

spicer and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  12. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    The micro series on blu-ray is a must. I love the show for its fun over the top animation and how it even got deeper into the character of Anakin, this show(and TCW) make him more likable for me. I also like the multimedia project it was attached, more so then TCW's. Of course I like the micro series but I also loved the Republic ( best Star Wars comic series IMO) and while I have'nt read them all I did enjoy Shatterpoint and Yoda: Dark rendezvous of the Clone Wars novels.

vong333, CIS Droid and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    For someone who hasn't seen the series, is there a way to watch some or all of it legally without having to buy the DVDs?

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Youtube.

15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Removed

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's actually not legal. They're not in the public domain or anything, so if they're on Youtube that means they were ripped or something.

Y'all can post a few clips, but not the whole series. I realize that's difficult considering the average episode length, but that's how it is.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  17. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Oh, ok.

Sorry.

18. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Belated Happy Birthday to...Genndy Tartakovsky!

whostheBossk and rumsmuggler like this.
  19. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    So, I'm sure most of you have read the interpretation that the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series "brackets" the CG Clone Wars series in the sense that after Episode 2 the first half of the Tartakovsky CW series happens. Then in between Anakin's padawan lock getting cut off and the scene immediately following where he is easily destroying a bunch of droids the entire 2008 CW series occurs, including Crystal Crisis/Bad Batch/Son of Dathomir/Dark Disciple.

In the Tartakovsky series we see Jedi Masters debating that Anakin has only gone through some aspects of the Knight trials. Ultimately for a few reasons Yoda agrees he should be made a Knight. Then flash forward to the mission Anakin/Obi-Wan are on in the second half of the Tartakovsky series where they have to help those big blue mammal people...

When this mission happens, Obi-Wan basically says "You never went through the full version of the Trials but this is that for you." In this moment, Obi-Wan means that fate has brought Anakin to a trial that completes his status as a Knight. He and the whole council probably saw it this way.

Early in ROTS it is mentioned that Anakin has been rejected multiple times in his endeavors to be dubbed a Jedi Master. This struck me as really weird because that mission to help the big blue mammal people in the Tartakovsky Clone Wars was happening at the same time as the Battle of Coruscant and in that mission Obi-Wan basically said to Anakin that he was finally fully a Jedi Knight. The Battle of Coruscant is in the middle of happening as Episode III begins so there is almost literally no time in between the end of the second half of Tartatovsky Clone Wars and ROTS.

Unless I am misreading how much time takes place between the first scenes of ROTS and the mention of Anakin's multiple rejections for Master status by the Council, this all means Anakin was applying for Master status before he had even completed the trial that made his own master consider him fully a Knight!

At first this didn't make sense to me but talking with friends I am now convinced this makes the over-all saga make even more sense: Anakin didn't blatantly agree with Obi-Wan's saying that this trial was his final Knight trial. He loved Obi-Wan enough to probably not want to get into it at that moment about how he saw it differently: from Anakin's perspective he'd been a Knight since they Knighted him (fair interpretation!) and his great power, achievements in war, Messianic background and now this trial in which he helped the big blue mammal people which even his mentor sees as a great trial for him all led him to believe he was on the verge of Master status. So while Obi-Wan saw Anakin's mission with the big blue mammal people as a final Knight trial, Anakin saw it as a trial for Master status.

This difference in interpretation makes Episode III's scenes about Anakin's rejection by the council make even MORE sense as it gives us a deeper and more specific understanding as to how who saw what differently- Anakin was peeved they wouldn't make him a master considering his achievements, trials, power and importance and the council was peeved that this kid who really, in their and Obi-Wan's view, had barely truly become a Knight, thought so highly of himself that he was throwing a tantrum over not being dubbed a Master.

In light of stories of Quinlan Vos, an Anakin-like character who had Master status, this made more sense to me too- Anakin had seen people who were similar to him get Master status.

Over-all this matters to me because it helps us further understand the rift between Anakin and the Jedi.

Going to rewatch again once more in the next week so I can be sure it's not possible there wasn't a bigger time lapse between the beginning of ROTS and the mentions of Anakin's applications being rejected by the council.

- T

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The micro series and the Labyrinth of Evil novel are the best clone wars stories to date for me and I still have them side by side with each other and consider them the true tie in to ROTS. New canon, Disney, or anyone else will never change that. By the way, don't forget that the micro won also an Annie Award. Its the only star wars animation to ever win it.

Tanjint and spicer like this.
  21. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, the 2008 Cone Wars did win 2 Emmy awards, which are on the level of the Academy awards for films. Emmys are for all tv, while Annies focus only on animation.

Zejo the Jedi and Tanjint like this.
  22. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    If we're gonna bring up Emmy awards:

Clone Wars micro series - 2 seasons, 2 Emmy's (one per season)

The Clone Wars - 5(6?) seasons, 2 Emmy's

Tanjint likes this.
  23. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I just watched some of the microseries for the first time in a few years, and it was even better than I remembered. It's very high up on my list of favorite Star Wars things, ever.

The later CGI series is also very good--and very different--but the microseries just feels...fresh in a way that I love. Star Wars should be so lucky as to have something like that again.

Subtext Mining and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  24. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    It is truly a crime that this still hasn't been given a Legends bluray release. I've been watching the new Samurai Jack episodes, which just look amazing in HD, real art.

Taylore, TheMoldyCrow and CT1138 like this.
  25. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The micro-series will always be a huge point of nostalgia for me. I remember my friends and I used to race home from school when we were kids to catch the airings on Cartoon Network. Back when Cartoon Network aired shows worth watching.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.