main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Middle East Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Holy crap, Wocky. I think the main thing that you are still overlooking is that we weren't really serious. Do I have to repeat that? We weren't really serious. And in addition to not being serious, we weren't being serious about something that doesn't even exist. All I was doing was poking fun at countries that have "republic" in their name when they are the farthest from. There aren't right or wrong answers. There isn't a grand conspiracy. If you want me to say you're right, then you're right about whatever it is you're supposed to be right about. If it helps, I'd also say that you can be the subject matter expert when it comes to naming conventions for countries that don't exist. If anyone has any questions about naming other non-existent countries they will come to you first and not just throw out such names willy-nilly in the forum.

Imagine if we were critiquing the movie Man of Steel, and I said "Man of Steel, more like Man of Insomnia..." (bum ching!) The last thing I would expect you to do is reply with a diatribe "proving" that insomnia isn't even in the title, and how I can't read, and how I'm wrong to confuse insomnia with steel. Yeah, I know insomnia isn't actually in the title. It was just a joke, and I think you missed the point. Besides the bad pun, no one else is arguing anything.

This is so basic it seems silly that I have to type it out. I honestly don't know what more to say.

Goodwood likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Personally, I think that Jesus Tapdancing Christ should be the default reference.

3. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    motorboating conveys more of an action focus though.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Just for clarity, then, when you said "that last part is sarcastic" you weren't trying to distinguish it the final dependent clause from the rest of this paragraph? You actually meant the entire post was "sarcastic?" What was the idea here again?

Because it really looks like you were trying to indicate that as opposed to the last part, your first sentence with a factually incorrect explanation for Iran's usage of the word "republic" was to be taken literally.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Can we get a cutting-edge animated emoticon of that?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    I don't know, but I think I need a shower.

EDIT: Oh sure Jello. Thanks for getting a post in there first, making my reply seem weird.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Where did you find that beautiful work of art?

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

on the one hand its cool that the ayatollah watches archer, but on the other hand im concerned that he thinks its real

Ender Sai and GenAntilles like this.
  11. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
  12. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    So, Kurdistan is going to be real I guess.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I keep skipping across this thread title reading it as "Extremis"; the story from Agents of SHIELD.

14. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    FYI, when CNN and to an extent MSNBC was covering the Iraq crisis on Friday, this was what Fox News was covering as breaking news:

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So what's the point that Jabbawocky's trying to make? That ISIS can nakedly display its undemocratic uber-Taliban agenda and still manage to get support from Iraqi Sunnis? That can be more or less chalked up to Maliki's attempts to marginalize the Sunni minority, as well as that war going on next door in Syria, can it not?

17. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Those statements aren't really mutually exclusive though.

As for wocky, I don't think he was trying to make a point, just call it like it is. ISIS *is* openly undemocratic and uber-Taliban, and it is still getting some Sunni support.

18. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    lol Obama America. First they rule out sending combat troops into Iraq, now 275 "military personell, combat equipped" are going back in to protect American property et. al? By any chance is their commanding officer named Leonidas?

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's pretty standard for a country to send a small force to protect its citizens in a country racked by strife. It's also pretty standard to not classify those forces as combat personnel (because they ostensibly won't fight except in direct self-defense and defense of the people they're supposed to protect). The best choice the President can make is to not intervene at all, but I would be SHOCKED if there was a "limited" bombing campaign. Don't want to send a carrier to the Gulf for no reason, do we?

20. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
  21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Iran doesn't want the US in Iraq, claims the war with ISIS is not along sectarian lines, and three border towns between Iraq and Syria are now under ISIS control.

I've got to say, unless there's some very quiet negotiations going on between the US and Iran, this thought bubble from the current Ayatollah in Iran has all the credibility of an Iraqi Information Minister's PR release. Iraq sure as hell seems to be mobilising militias along sectarian lines to meet ISIS, and I don't quite get how the US, having built or bought a Shia government in Iraq, wanted to create a Sunni insurgency to overthrow it? But then, I wonder if Iran indeed is calculating that a fragmented Iraq on its border is actually better for it strategically than a US-backed and well-organised Iraq on that border. If so, that's a frightening gamble to take. Even if out of all of this Iran winds up the strongest power left in the Middle East, it's still not well-armed or well-organised, and the estimates of Sunni numbers there are said to be a lot higher than the 10% or so Iran officially admits to. Possibly Iran is trying to distance itself from a hint of US cooperation because you'd think that's verboten in both Shia and Sunni circles in Iran.

At the end of the day I still would have to say that US pullout is the only rational course available now. In the Middle East you are dealing with a transformational ideology that will only be contained when its adherents are fighting each other rather than the West. The loss of control of the border between Iraq and Syria is deeply disturbing, too: it raises the pan-national image of ISIS even further than it already was.

22. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah I don't put a lot of stock in his statements in that article. Anyone saying flatly "This is ALL sectarian" or "This is ZERO sectarian" isn't to be trusted imo.

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    It's also a bit silly for Kerry to demand Iraq sudden hey-presto itself into a functional democracy before military aid is offered in circumstances where (a) ISIS is likely to be knocking on the PM's door in a couple of weeks and (b) Iraq's government appealed directly to sectarian issues in order to get enough troops, er, militia, to fight ISIS.

Why is it so hard for the US to start levelling with people along the lines of "Well, it's time to admit we learned precisely zero lessons from Vietnam, and it's about to happen again over there, so we're not throwing any more good money after bad."?

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I get that American wars of imperialism are inevitably compared to Vietnam, but this situation is nothing like what happened in Vietnam. The North was a recognized state, the NVA was a powerful military, the North had significant support in the South, both sides had a common cultural identity (more or less), etc. ISIS won't be able to take Baghdad, much less unify Iraq (and/or Syria) under their rule.