main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers

Is anyone else watching this show on Disney+?

It’s five episodes in and I’m enjoying it way more than I ever expected. Until last night I’d never even seen a Mighty Ducks movie. I liked the 5th episode so much I watched the original movie. Seeing Gordon Bombay at age 29 in the first film after he is 57 on the series is like some Obi-Wan Kennobi Prequel stuff. And seeing the past he dropped bits and pieces about in dialogue is like the Clone Wars. The Ducks movie was fine but I like the series even more.

It’s sort of amazing what Disney is doing with story by expanding feature films into series. Even this show based on the tried and true formula of a rag tag under dog sports team lead by an unwilling coach finds new depth as it has hours to focus on different characters.

The kids on the show are good actors with compelling character arcs. Lauren Graham - who I only know from Bad Santa - is excellent. The neighbor kid who podcasts about local hockey steals the show.

And the titular Might Ducks are actually the villains in the series. In 2021 the Ducks are a team of hyper aggressive over achievers. The players are encouraged to be bullies if it means winning. The kids parents are equally as aggressive in mapping out their children’s futures and helicoptering over their every activity.

Is anyone else watching this show and unexpectedly enjoying it?

Runjedirun likes this.
  2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I’ve been watching this, and yeah, it’s really, really good. I’m definitely going to have to go back and watch the original movie at some point.

3. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    ....there's more mighty duck stuff?

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, there were three were movies, plus a cartoon. The first two movies and the cartoon were decent. The third movie is pretty skipable though.