main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The misconceptions you had about Star Wars, when you were a kid.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Reign, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSeether

DarthSeether Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005

HAHA! and actors now a days think they have to make "sacrifices for their careers". Mark Hamill puts them all to shame!

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

[face_laugh]

3. soundwave05

soundwave05 Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2004
    That Light Sabers and Life Savers candy was some how connected. Like perhaps Light Sabers were made out of Life Savers candy, lol. The kids at pre-school would talk about lightsabers and I thought they were talking about Life Savers candy. Hey I was three or four, gimme a break ;)

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Well, I was five years old.[face_blush]

The SPFX special was very educational in even more ways - it inspired me to strap fireworks onto the back of my toy snowspeeder & rig it up to zoom into the back garden & explode.
    Fortunately my mother stopped me & the snowspeeder has survived to this very day.

Actually, not everything he told me that night was B* - he said that after they made the next SW movie they'd be making films set earlier than the first one about Ben Kenobi, Darth Vader & Yoda. This was in 1980, & that five year old waited a long time for those films to finally get made...

TLJ Edit: You have to star that out

5. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    I had a TON of misconceptions about the OT as a kid. When I first discovered the OT (thanks to my father), I watched it over and over and over, almost every day for about two months, and learned a lot of incorrect 'facts.'

Let's see, for ANH:

I was convinced that the Falcon had four quad turrets, the pair in ANH that Han and Luke fired were 'manual', and in ROTJ, Lando is firing an 'automatic' pair from the cockpit.

Even though Luke said the dianoga let him go and disappeared, I was conviced that Luke had secretly beaten the crap out of it and decided not to tell anyone.

For TESB:

For some reason, I never grasped the fact that Han was trying to leave the Rebellion entirely at the beginning. I thought he was going ahead of all the other Rebels to scout for a new base, and just leaving early to confuse Jabba.

I always thought when Leia was saying "I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee." she was saying "I'd just as soon eat a cookie."

I thought the 'Vader' that got killed in the cave was a clone of some kind.

For ROTJ:

I thought Vader seriously didn't know Luke was on the shuttle, and was just being stupid when he let them onto the moon.

I always thought the stormtrooper outside the bunker had been paid off to join the strike team, and not a strike team member in stormtrooper armor.

There are lots and lots more than this, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

6. DarthSeether

DarthSeether Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    "Where did you dig up that old fossil?"

This line totally freaking baffled me as a kid. I figured Luke had made some archeological find back on tatooine or something(I think those krayt dragon bones near C-3PO came to mind). that he had showed it to Han (off camera) and it was an ongoing discussion about an actual fossil he had found.

and I was totally confused by the way luke ignored the question about the fossil he dug up and immediately got all defensive of ben kenobi.

7. Miss_Anakin

Miss_Anakin Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2005
    I had a lot of misconceptions as a kid, and even ones that I had until quite recently.

To start off, I am one of those people who was REALLY confused by Obi-Wan's death. He disappeared, and left his cloak behind, and what am I left to think? He somehow escaped, of course. The most obvious answer being by means of some sort of trap door in the floor... Oh boy. Another one is ANH would be when Obi-Wan tells Luke that his father was a Jedi Knight, and Luke says something like "no he wasn't, he was a navigator on a spice freighter." I actually didn't figure this one out until February or March of this year, and I just so happened to be reading a post on this thread where someone had the same misconception. I always thought Luke said "he was a navigator on a SPACE freighter." I even misunderstood the persons misunderstanding. I thought they thought it was the other way around, if that makes sense. But I was quite scandalized that Owen hated Anakin so much that he would tell his nephew that his father handled "spice" for a living! And Luke was so flippant about his dad being a drug dealer! Boy...

Anyway, another one I had was in ESB when Han is about to kiss Leia, and she says she happens to like nice men, and Han replies that he IS a nice man, I thought she agreed by saying "very nice" instead of "no you're not."

In ROTJ I thought that the Second Death Star was just the remains of the first for the longest time (*cough* figured it out two years ago *cough*) and while watching ANH I kept trying to look for evidence that it wasn't completely destroyed, and I was so confused because it look pretty blown up to me.

In the Phantom Menace, when Anakin says that no one can kill a Jedi, I somehow believed him. Then I was in disbelief when Qui-Gon was killed, and I almost cried. But hey, I was six.

In Attack of the Clones, when Anakin and Obi-Wan are chasing down Zam through Coruscant, Anakin freaks Obi-Wan out with his flying and then says "Sorry, I forgot you don't like flying" (after ten years, how do you forget something like that? Poor Obi-Wan.) and Obi-Wan says "I don't mind flying, but what you're doing is suicide." I always thought Obi-Wan said "I don't mind flying" before cutting himself off and remarking on a rather crazy driver that passes them, saying "by George, that's suicide!" I always thought that it was a rather odd choice of words, and that Obi-Wan should have said something more Star Wars-ish than "by George" but also thinking it could have been a reference to George Lucas... I figured out what he ACTUALLY said about a year ago. Boy, am I slow.

Oh, this board gives me lots of laughs! One post referring to "blue sluts" (apparently the female version of Hutts, in Twi-Lek form) made me cry from laughing so hard.

8. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Hutts are hermaphrodites, but yeah.

My biggest misconception as a kid was the same one everyone else's was: That the Clone Wars were wars against clones.

9. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh god, Anakin the drug dealer [face_laugh] this was awesome, Miss Anakin.

10. foreign_sidious

foreign_sidious Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    as a kid i tought the emperor was like a 1000 years old

11. Miss_Anakin

Miss_Anakin Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2005
    He isn't? ;)

It must take some hard living to get creases like that.

12. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I call Luke Skywalker, Blue Skywalker, and Darth Vader, Star Vader.!

13. GwannaSauna

GwannaSauna Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2009
    In Return of the Jedi I always thought Luke was a Jedi Master and that he had fully completed his training. :rolleyes:

14. Wookie_Droppings

Wookie_Droppings Jedi Knight

May 26, 2009
    1.) I think the biggest misconception I had was that I thought Darth Vader was a droid. For some reason it never entered my mind that he was an actual human (or living) being until the helmet scene ESB. Oh and I thought his name was "Dark Vader."

2.) Also, when Darth Vader tells Luke that he is his father in ESB, I honestly did not take it literally. When Vader says "No, I am your father." I immediately thought Vader was sort of taunting Luke. As if to say "I own you" or "you are subject to me." Either that or he was outright lying. It really didn't hit me that Vader was serious until ROTJ.

3.) In the scene when Luke tells Yoda that he's not afraid and Yoda says "you will be.....you WILL be" in that sort of sinister voice, I thought that Yoda might actually be evil and was planning on double-crossing Luke.

4.) In the lightsaber duel between Obi Wan and Vader, when Obi Wan's lightsaber goes out, I actually thought that was some sort of strategy that Obi Wan was using to psyche Vader out. Incidentally, I called them "Life Savers" as a kid too! :)

5.) I did not recognize Leia in ESB when they first showed her. I was expecting her to have the "cinnamon bun" hairdo again, and when they showed her with a different "do" I did not realize it was her.

6.) I thought Chewbacca was bigfoot.

7.) In the scene in ESB when the imperial officer is choked to death by Vader for losing the Falcon, the officer that Vader appoints right afterwards looked so much like the one that was killed, I literally thought it WAS the same guy and that he had been cloned.

8.) In ROTJ I thought the incompleted Death Star was the remains of the original Death Star. I just figured that it had sustained heavy damage and that it had not been blown up entirely.

9.) I always assumed that "The Clone Wars" involved fighting over the ethical notion of cloning. Like the separatists were for it and actively practiced it and the repbulic thought it was immoral and fought against the practice of it.

15. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    I thought the Jedi traced their descent by lineage. But then we saw a nonhuman Jedi in TESB, and AOTC pretty much shattered that illusion.

16. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    Oh, another not-quite-misconception since TTT hadn't been written yet and I hadn't read Marvel, I thought Luke was the Emperor at the end. When I first heard of Heir to the Empire, I thought it'd be about attempts to assassinate Luke so he wouldn't be Emperor.

17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    That, and that Anakin was older (~18 or so) when he meets Kenobi and joins him on an idealistic crusade.

That Yoda trained Kenobi in the way the movies show Jinn training Kenobi.

That Mrs. Skywalker went with Leia into hiding and died when she was a toddler.

That the concept and manipulation of the Force was more spritual than genetic.

That the Jedi were allowed to marry and have kids.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, now, that's not a misconception. You've seen the Younglings in AOTC and ROTS and you know that Yoda taught the Younglings. The only misconception is that Yoda was the only teacher Obi-wan had. He is and has been Obi-wan teacher.

19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    It was a misconception because I thought Yoda trained Kenobi as a young adult. Ben says that he was "the Jedi Master that instructed him", not "a Jedi Master" or "one of many" but THE.

20. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    You forgot the "damn fool" part.

Not really a misconception.

Well, it's technically not genetic, since it's the concentration of midichlorians, not the individual DNA. But it's entirely possible that certain genes affect one's internal ecology to favor more midichlorians. Or in other words, Force sensitivity is determined by the concentration of midichlorians r, but the genes determine the total potential midichlorians in the body K.

That goes with mine. Also not really a misconception since Yoda says "The Force is strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned." Which I interpreted as teaching your children.

21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    It didn't play out that way in the PT, so yeah, it was a misconception. You really can't argue with what some misconceived.

Genes are genetic. Lucas said midi-chlorians are similar to mitochondria, so technically it is genetic. Just to end this conversation once and for all let's see what else Lucas has to say:

"It is said that certain creatures are born with a higher awareness of the Force than humans. Their brains are different; they have more midi-chlorians in their cells."
    -George Lucas, establishing guidelines for the Expanded Universe in 1977[src]

"We also get into this thing of what are Midichlorians, how they work which advances a little bit of the story of the Force, and how does the Force work, how we come to know the Force which is part of Anakin?s training in learning to become a Jedi. And take the idea of the Force one step further. The Midchlorians are kind of a side issue. Not in a sort of spiritual, metaphysical part of the Force, but the more practical, biological, physical part of the Force, or how we come to know the Force, which has to do really with the genetics of why some people have more in tune to the Force than others."

--George Lucas, Star Wars-The Phantom Menace: The Annotated Screenplays, 1999.

Yep, it's genetic.

First how would yours be a misconception and mine isn't? If someone watches the movies and makes assumptions that are proven wrong as the story unfolds, that is a misconception.

22. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    What I meant is, if we don't know it, it's not really a misconception.

Luke being royalty because he's Leia's brother = misconception
    Luke being royalty because he's the heir apparent to the Empire = not a misconception, until you read the EU

23. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Agreed, Iktomi.

Believing that the events of the PT actually happened the way they are described in the OT (and presented as FACT) =/= misconception.

It's not a misconception just because Lucas forgot half the OT when making the PT.

24. TheSockster

TheSockster Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2009
    I thought TPM was the Bible Story, with Qui-Gon Jinn as Jesus and Darth Maul as the Devil.

25. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    Don't worry. He can edit it any way he wishes with digital technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.