main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The misconceptions you had about Star Wars, when you were a kid.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Reign, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda trained Obi-wan in the Jedi Arts from six months of age until he was one month shy of his 13th birthday. Qui-gon Jinn taught Obi-wan how to apply his training in the feild, for the next 12 years. Qui-gon does not teach Obi-wan how to use the Force in TPM. He teaches him people skills. This is why Obi-wan quotes Yoda right away in TPM. Yoda taught him to be mindful of the future.

Uh, that can't be quite right. Where did you get that quote from?

Lucas did set up that the Force was gentic back in the second draft of ANH. The Force was passed on to the decendents of the Skywalker, the first one to discover the Force. In time, his decendents became half of the galaxy. But it was clear early on that only certain individuals could use the Force. Maybe not so much in ANH and TESB, but by ROTJ it was when Luke talks about it running strong in his family.

No, it's called Lucas changed things because certain ideas did not fit.

Why did you think that Luke was going to be the heir to the Empire?

2. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Well, Darth Vader was Palpatine's obvious successor, and?Do I have to give you a play-by-play of how Luke is Vader's heir? Well, Anakin Skywalker and some woman (name unknown at the time) at some point had relations, and nine months later, two kids popped out, named Luke and Leia because twins should always have names beginning with the same letter. But Anakin was evil now, so their mother and Obi-Wan wisely hid them so they wouldn't die or become evil as well. Luke was hidden out in the middle of nowhere with Obi-Wan's brother Owen. Leia was hidden in plain sight, with a very influential family of Jedi sympathizers.

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Well then half of the things in this thread don't count as misconceptions :)

All of this is true, but in ESB Ben says "the Jedi Master who instructed me." He doesn't say one of the Jedi Masters or the jedi master that taught me the jedi arts until I was almost 13, he says the Jedi Master that instructed me. That gives the impression that Yoda was solely responsible for his training. If someone says "this is the teacher who taught me philosophy," you would think that there was only one teacher, not a couple.

Actually, not only can it be right - it is. Pick up the hardback verison of the making of Star Wars book. It has a memo from the 70's that I don't think is in the softback version.

4. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I thought that in ANH when the Falcon gets attacked by that TIE near the remains of Alderaan, the actual name of it was a 'short range fighter' - I figured that Kenobi was correcting himself after saying "it's an Imperial fighter" rather than correcting Han.

I also remember thinking that Hamill was actually being electrocuted and was in excruciating pain when they filmed that scene in RotJ. I knew what I DIDN'T want to be when I grew up!

Also thought that AT-AT was pronounced 'at at'... Force Commander, you didn't help there.

5. DarthSeether

DarthSeether Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    OMG, you just reminded me--I had this exact same misconception. I thought Obi-Wan was correcting himself.

In fact I remember thinking that maybe his powers in the Force WERE getting a bit weak like Vader says later, since he made a mistake in predicting the type of ship.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Wow. That's a big misconception.

7. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    Well, not really, that's actually pretty close to what Obi-Wan said.

And I do not believe Palpatine ever had any children, regardless of what Glove of Darth Vader says.

8. jawbox

jawbox Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2008
    I always thought that Bounty Hunters had something to do with Bounty paper towels.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

10. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    I thought Luke started out just wanting to marry the princess. Then he found out that was illegal.

11. DarkLiberator

DarkLiberator Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2009
    I used to think storm troopers were droids lol! and i thought darth vader wore the mask and the outfit to look cool.

12. Serafine_Tinaste

Serafine_Tinaste Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2009
    I thought Boba Fett and Han Solo were supposed to be friends or something. I was so wrong. [face_laugh]

13. Destined_Jedi

Destined_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    I talked to a middle aged guy a while back about Star Wars. He was under the impression that the glowy part of the lightsaber was real.

As for me, I think I mispronounced Qui-Gon Jinn's name.

14. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I was somewhat under the impression that Vader took the suit to prove how evil he was rather than it being used to sustain life

15. Executor_616

Executor_616 Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2009
    I thought that Darth Vader and Darth Maul were brothers, the same for Anakin and Luke.

I thought that Darth Vader was a robot at first. Then I thought that he was also Boushh

I thought Hoth was Yavin in the Winter

I thought that when "Vader's" mask exploded in Dagobah, it showed Jake Lloyd's face

I thought that there was an approximate 100 year gap between Episode I and Episode IV (I don't know if I read it wrong, but I blame the Episode I visual dictionary)

I actually thought that Obi-Wan and Yoda had gotten amnesia in the OT, which was my explanation of why they never mentioned Qui-Gon.

That's all I remember for the moment.

16. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I thought that Darth Maul was actually Anakin's father (I didn't get that he was a Zabrak, I don't remember what I thought about the horns) and that Shmi either lied when she said that there was no father or that she meant that he left.

I also thought that Darth Maul's lightsaber would become Vader's because the one emitter was cut off.

17. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    I thought that Darth Vader and Darth Maul were brothers, the same for Anakin and Luke.

You Should Know This Already.

18. oreotragus

oreotragus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2009
    I've been reading through everyone else's misconceptions, and I can't really remember any I had, but...

This isn't really a misconception, but something that stands out very clearly in my childhood memory:

I shared a bunkbed with my sister in one room. We had a tall toy shelf. On the shelf was a large stuffed Ewok with black eyes (I think it was Wicket). Anyway, I remember just watching that horrible Ewok every night when I went to bed. It scared the beejesus out of me... I thought it would come alive and kill me. (I seem to remember some movie where the toys on the wall come alive and grow claws and fangs, that must be where I got the terrifying notion from).

19. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I first time I saw the OT, I was before I was a big fan and I was very young at the time. After that, it was many years, until after I became a fan, that I saw it again. During that time, I somehow got the misconception that the big "I'm your father" reveal came during the battle on the Death Star during ROTJ. It was quite a shock when I saw ESB again.

20. Miss_Anakin

Miss_Anakin Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2005
    While reading through more of these I remembered a few others that I had.

I thought that Luke (Mark Hamil) really did get his arm cut off for the sake of the movie, and that whenever someone died in Star Wars (or any film for that matter) that they really did die. I couldn't fathom why anyone would go to so much trouble for a movie. I remember asking my mom about it when I was really young, and she told me it was fake, but I didn't believe her.

I also thought that there was a ten year gap between each movie when I was younger. I did the math later on and realized that there was no way Luke could be ten years old in ANH.

21. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    I thought that Luke (Mark Hamil) really did get his arm cut off for the sake of the movie, and that whenever someone died in Star Wars (or any film for that matter) that they really did die.

Man, Mark really does suffer for his art. Not as much as Alec Guinness did, though?(RIP)

22. Executor_616

Executor_616 Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2009
    By that point I only had watched Episode I and had a couple of Lego sets

23. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I always though that when obi-wan (in Episode 4) said "A gentleman's waste should never be traveled lightly.", with "gentleman's" actually being "Jundland". I had no clue, really.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Still words to live by, though.

25. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Then again, traveling light in a Gentlemans waste may be a good idea [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.