main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Meanwhile Aaron Judge is having dreams about how may penthouses he'll be able to afford once it's his time to sit down with the Yankees.

2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Harper could been the biggest FA in the history of the sport. But $430 million to say in Southern California? Yes Please sign me up! :)

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Where does Anaheim get the money for all of that? They're still paying Pujols, aren't they?

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They can afford it by not never contending. Trout and the ghost of Pujols are their payroll.

PCCViking and LloydChristmas like this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i am sort of baffled as to why the mariners and a's aren't playing afternoon games in tokyo. i know that it's always this way, but a 1 pm start time would have been 9 pm in both of the teams' home markets, instead of having to literally stay up all night on a weeknight if you want to watch the games live.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You could always DVR them. They obviously wanted to get the biggest crowds for the games; and just like the parks in the States (and Canada), they know the after-work prime time games will get the biggest crowds on a weekday.

8. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i get all that. but it's not like this is one of 81 home games. these are the two regular season games they get all year, in one of the biggest cities in the world, and ichiro is playing. if they can't sell out a game during the day, maybe just abandon the opening day in japan thing.

i will dvr the games obviously, i just hate watching sports after the fact.

DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  10. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    ...and perhaps Phillies owners as well considering they might of brought him on just to try to do this to have that get ruined

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have the highest confidence that they locked themselves into a 13 year relationship with Bryce Harper for reasons other than his only value being his ability to talk to Mike Trout. :p

cubman987 , Point Given and tom like this.
  12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That's a clown question, bro

AutumnLight91 likes this.
  13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't really get the Ichiro thing. He's only going to play one game for the Mariners, and it's Japan? In all fairness, it's been nearly two decades since he played for a Japanese team; he's more associated now with MLB than he is with the Japanese Leagues. Not to mention he's already gone over and played at the Tokyo Dome with Seattle in the past.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm not sure what point you're making.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Why can't he play at least the Home Opener in Seattle?

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i guess they have a special 28 man roster for the japan games, so that's part of it. but yeah, it would be nice to see him take one last bow in seattle. i don't think it's been completely ruled out though, we'll see.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    And the fallacy is that those games in Japan aren't even home games for the Mariners (so technically there could be more A's fans than Mariners fans).

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    whatever team the fans support, a good number will be there to see ichiro. he's a michael jordan like figure in japan.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    heels1785 and Point Given like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So was Matsui back in the day. I was in Japan (and went to a Japanese League game at the Tokyo Dome) in the Spring of 2010 right around the time when Matsui was playing his first games with Anaheim. I actually brought home a Japanese newspaper that featured front page articles about him.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    tom likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I went to the last time the A's and Mariners opened the season in Tokyo. I was planning on going Tokyo again this season, but circumstances didn't allow that to happen. At any, I figure the reason the game will start 9pm Tokyo time is for the local fans to attend the game, as Japan is known for having their employees work very long hours. The last time I was there, there were plenty of men in business suits that attended the game. So, the start time is definitely to accommodate the local fans.

I hope DVR the games. Although, I get up early enough in the morning to catch the later innings.

Yeah, with this being the last game Ichiro will play, pretty everyone in the crowd will be swooning over him and saying the farewells. Ichiro's retirement games was another reason why I wanted to go to Tokyo.

DarthTunick , Ahsoka's Tano and tom like this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Got this as a souvenir at the game I went to in Japan. Yes, both Tanaka and Iwakuma were on the same team that I saw (Rakuten Golden Eagles) that day.
    [​IMG]

23. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Not that he won't get paid, but Judge is less than a year younger than Trout. If he doesn't sign an extension, Judge will be 31 when he hits free agency. The last two years have shown that 31 year olds aren't getting paid what they used to.

Had this conversation with someone earlier today. It's insane. At least the games start at 5:35 on the east coast so if I were so inclined, I could wake up for it, but it totally screws both fan bases. I get growing the game internationally, but it shouldn't be done at the expense of long-time fans.

Amazing.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So MLB was supposed to show the Yankees on their weekly "30 for 30" show tonight, and guess what they're talking about for about 80% of the time? They've even been asking a handful of the Yankees' players on the field about it.

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I can understand the point-of-view of it being a bad start time here on the West Coast for the A’s/Mariners Japan games, but if I were a fan of either, I’d roll with it; there is something to watching a game in the wee hours of the morning. When the Dodgers had a couple of games against the D’Backs in Australia in 2014, I listened on the radio to one of them around midnight-2am (forget the exact time). That was fun.