main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm sorry, but that is just a lame mascot for Cleveland. Looks like a Phillies Fanatic wannabe.

Chromide likes this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Drew Carey looks nothing like the Fanatic, and I reject you calling him lame.

oh, you meant slider. yeah all mascots suck with very few exceptions

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    When I think of the Cleveland Indians, I don't think of Drew Carey; nor do I think of "Slider" or even "Chief Wahoo". I think of that dude with the drums in the outfield. He was audibly absent from last night's game.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Thank you, resident expert on Cleveland.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You're welcome.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  6. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I didn't even watch the All Star game last night it is incredibly boring to me since it has no meaning anymore its almost as boring as the Pro Bowl. but I am happy that the Yankees were well represented!

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It was a dull game, but you can't honestly convince me that the notion of the game determining which league gets home field in the WS would've made it any better. It was always meant to be an exhibition game when it began 90 years ago. At least you can say it's competitive; unlike every other professional team sport's All Star games where they throw defense out the window.

8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Not trying to convince you Its just a statement and opinion that is IMHO …

In Ripken's last All Star Game I believe in 2002 That HR ball he hit I believe was an easy meatball thrown over the plate so to speak so he could easily hit a HR that will become the norm in coming years and It will become The NBA NHL and NFL when it comes to pitching and defense and if it comes to that why even play the game why not just give the players a week off?

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't think anyone could seriously argue that it wasn't a meatball thrown to Ripken in that 2002 All Star game; but in the grand scheme of things, who cares? It was an exhibition game and he was supposed to be the star of the show (Sabathia was supposed to be the star of last night's show but I kind of get the feeling the Cleveland fans were looking at his Yankees' uniform more than his overall career and start with the Indians; they just seemed somewhat subdued when he came out in the ninth to talk to Chapman).

10. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    But that's my point If Its just an exhibition why even play the game just give the players a week off? May be I am in the major minority but I enjoyed the All Star Game counting for something and now that it doesn't count I am not interested anymore. Plus I am recovering from bronchitis I needed the rest the past two nights.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

My hope for next year’s ASG, even though it’ll obviously never happen: give Larry King 2-5 minutes on the mic throughout Dodger Stadium, doing a baseball version of his King’s Things column; also a limited beachball giveaway... say 50 for each section of the ballpark, each with a different design/theme (such as Dodger Dogs, Mike Brito’s Panama hat, traffic cones, etc).

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The hell with Larry King. I'd rather hear Vin Scully talk baseball in the booth, as I'd venture anyone would, than hear LK give another boring anecdote that he's brought up 100 times about going to Ebbets Field with his dad.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If Vladdy had won the home run competition Jays would have actually won something this year. Poor fella was gassed after hitting a 40 2nd round.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    What is it these days with Houston's players and their big mouths lately? First Verlander comes out and whines about the baseballs being doctored, and now Gerrit Cole suggested that there are several teams in MLB that are deliberately tanking. Yeah Gerrit; it's probably true, but who are you to make a fuss about it?

Gerrit Cole calls out tanking in MLB

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    a human being. also an all-star pitcher with an audience. why shouldn't they talk about things they feel are important?

"shut up and dribble" is no good.

16. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well i mean the balls are juiced. did you hear what happened when the minor leagues started using the same balls as the majors this year?

Also from Cody Bellinger 2 years ago:
    "What's the biggest difference between the majors and the minors?"
    "The baseballs."

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But it's not like he's going to make any changes to it if it is true. And it can't be just a coincidence that Verlander is talking about the "juiced baseballs" as he leads the majors in HRs allowed. If any other pitcher has given up 25+ hrs through the AS break, you'd just put it off that he's having a bad year.

18. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Why Is hardly anyone talking in the media about the Yankees signing the best international prospect Jasson Dominguez? He is a switch hitting center fielder great fielder hits for power to all fields is being compared to Mickey Mantle and Mike Trout and is supposed to be a great character guy scouts say his parents raised him right!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...kees-5-million-16-year-old-international-coup

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    everyone was talking about that on the day it happened, leo.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  21. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    He is appealing and given that Torre said he didn't think Marisnick was trying to injure Lucroy, I think he has a decent case.

Amazing.

22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Ahsoka's Tano and DarthIntegral like this.
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I like it - just makes the same rule apply to a strikeout on a passed ball / wild pitch to any pitch, rather than just one that happens with two outs and can add some more strategy to the game.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    If that was installed in the Majors, teams would certainly value a catcher's fielding moreso then they do already. If I were a betting man, I'd put down that teams look at a catcher's offense #1, game calling #2, and finally fielding.

But I'm more interested in the Atlantic League's other novelty this year: Electronic strike zone

cubman987 and heels1785 like this.
  25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I think I agree with Inty - another thing on there is giving batters one foul ball on bunt attempts with 2 strikes, I'm all for that one.