main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod!Challenge The Mod's DARE Challenge - Question for those who submitted Dares

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I DARE YOU!

[​IMG]

Does the idea of making your fellow writer sweat with worry over how they will manage to write something make you secretly (or not so secretly) smile? Do you enjoy a good challenge? Would you like the chance to win colors and/or the chance to change the mods colors?

If you answered yes, to any of these questions, then read on! If you answered No, then read on anyway!

It's been a while since we've done the ever popular, Mod's Dare Challenge so we thought it time! If you've only been around the past few years and haven't experienced the Dare Challenge you are in for a treat... or a nightmare, but no matter what it should be fun!

So you've got my interest, How Do I Participate?

First, you think of a story you would like to dare someone to write. It can be as specific -or not- as you would like. Some people put things that would be very hard to work in to the GFFA, some add many, many characters and specific words or word counts. Be creative, be evil if you want... no one will judge you here!

During registration, PM Both fanfic mods with your Dare and the Era(s) in which you are willing to write. Then you will be sent a Dare of your own to attempt to write.

After the end of the writing period, those who completed their dare stories will be allowed to vote on their favorite dare response and the top three will receive colors.

Examples of Past Dares include:

By SoA (2011)

I dare you to write a Bollywood in the Star Wars Universe. Bollywood movies are crazy, gaudy, three-hour long movies produced by the hundreds in India. As such, and given the word count constraint, here are some guidelines of things you must include in your story to make it Bollywood fic.

1) You must include at least one song and dance number.
    2) You must include at least one exciting fight scene.
    3) There must be a conspicuous romance between two characters. It doesn't matter if this romance is superfluous to the plot.
    4) There must be at least one instance of a beautiful lady's hair blowing in the wind/strategically placed fan.
    5) There must be a woman in a white sari/dress who is all wet.
    6) Someone has to find family very important.
    7) At least one character must be filthy rich.
    8) At least one scene must take place in stunningly beautiful nature. Flashbacks are acceptable.
    9) The characters must be dressed fashionably, or at least making a fashion statement with their clothes, and they must have at least one random, exciting costume change.

A good Bollywood runs viewers through the nine major emotions,rasas, as set out by Indian classical music and dance:
    1) Love, Attractiveness
    2) Comedy, Laughter, Mirth
    3) Fury
    4) Compassion, Mercy
    5) Disgust, Aversion
    6) Horror, Terror
    7) Heroic Mood
    8) Wonder, Amazement
    9) Peace, Tranquility

The more melodramatic the better. We should be weeping, screaming, and laughing.

However, in order to be approved by the government censors, you must adhere to these rules:
    No mouth-on-mouth kissing! A peck on the cheek is okay, but kissing is scandalous! Beyond that, romance should be G-rated. Absolutely no nudity. You can get as violent with as much blood and guts as you want (within reason) but don't scandalize us with your romance!

By PonyTricks (2010):

My dare to another writer - Leia starts thinking Han is no longer attracted to her, so she dyes her hair red, with gold highlights, and starts wearing tight 'catsuits' to 'liven up' their marriage.

By Corellian Ale (2010):
    I dare someone to write a Star War's version of "Jersey Shore". Can be of any era, but all the characters must be of that era.

[​IMG]

RULES

1) No more than 2,500 words in your story (if you decide to make this into an epic, only the first post will be judged).
    2) Make sure you indicate that your fic is a Dare Challenge response in the title thread.
    3) Post the link to your story in this thread.
    4) As always, the TOS applies in your Dare and in your writing.
    5) Voting is only open to those who get their Dares written.

DATES

Dares Due to Mods By: 11:59pm PST September 17th
    Dares Will Be Sent Out By: September 21st
    Stories Due By: 11:59pm PST October 18th
    Voting Begins: October 19th
    Voting Ends On: 11:59pm PST October 25th

Winners will be announced on October 26th or 27th

I'm in so far! What can I win for participating in this madness?

The person with the most votes wins 1 week of colors and a title

2nd most votes win 72 hours of colors and a title

3rd most votes win 24 hours of colors and a title

Mod's choice Dare - The person the mods choose as the best dare will win the ability to change the mods colors to any terrible combo they wish for one week and have your name as responsible for said colors in our signature.

If you plan on participating, feel free to mention so in this thread if you so choose (or ask any questions) but in order to officially participate you must PM the mods with your dare. Sorry, due to the nature of this challenge, it's not really feasible to include NSWFF. :(

So that's it! It sounds crazy because it is, but it's also a lot of fun! So let loose those evil plot bunnies we know you've been hanging on to and let your fellow author have it!

Good luck... you're going to need it! [face_devil]
    [​IMG]

Entries List

Saga -Legends
    Feline Trouble - written by Chyntuck; Dare by SatineNaberrie

Beyond- Legends
    Circumventing Calamity written by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha; Dare by TrakNar
    True Blue - written by divapilot; Dare by Nyota's Heart (WarmNyota_SweetAyesha)

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Ooooohoohoohoohoo, this is gonna be fun... [face_devil]

Dare inbound in 5...

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  3. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Just a reminder that Dares are due in 5 days! You know you want to participate! Don't let the craziness scare you off!

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Dare sent. Someone on these boards is going to hate me very, very soon.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    YOU HAVE 2 MORE DAYS TO SEND IN YOUR DARES! Come on... I know you want too.... (seriously, we need more dares).

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I can assure you that when it comes to actual writing, my muse is definitely dead. However, I sent a dare, anyway.

Findswoman likes this.
  7. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Everyone should now have their Dares.

Just a note, I changed the first day of voting, it said the 18th, but you can't start voting until the writing part is over, so voting will start on the 19th.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  9. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Pretty please may I have a dare to write? I'm in the mood for a bunny bite.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I agree with passing out more dares. It's October, it's the perfect time to start tossing around dares. Let's bend the rules a bit. I totally dare you to bend the rules a bit. ;)

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I double dog dare you to reopen the dare submissions!

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Let me and mav consult, USUALLY with challenge such as this, if you miss the submission date, you are out of luck, it's just the logistics.

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I woul certainly not say no this being reopened. But if it doesn't work out, I totally understand—just as long as you don't make us wait a whole year for the next one! :D

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oi. I forgot to post this. Mav and I have decided NOT to reopen this challenge for more dare submissions and sign-ups. It just would not work. As harsh as this may sound, if you want to be a part of a challenge such as this, you need to be checking the Resource board regularly, or reading the announcement sticky at the top of the story board. That being said, we are open to the idea of hosting this challenge again, early in the new year (and we will leave sign-ups open for a bit longer), so if you want that to happen, tell us so that we know we will have enough participants to make it worth-while.

16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    If the story is a multi-post, does it all have to be posted by Oct 18, or can I post the first part by then?

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Just the first part is fine, but only the first part will be judged.

18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Bri, this all sounds fine. :) I just would like to clarify that in my own case it wasn't a matter of "Oh shoot, I missed the announcement!" It was more that I was extremely busy with RL stuff around the time it was first announced, so I didn't feel good about committing to it back then. Now that things aren't so busy for me anymore, the prospect of possibly reopening the challenge sounded good, but I understand why that doesn't work out at this point. I'd be glad to see it offered again early next year, but there too of course my ability to participate will depend on what RL has in store.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My muse is so dead. I haven't touched my dare challenge beyond concept art and an initial idea. When it gets down to crunch time, I may have to cheat to get it done.

Otherwise, all you'll end up getting is concept art. Perhaps a very simple comic.

Will you take comics?

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    We'll try to remember to have sign ups open for longer next time so people can have more time to decide if they have time to commit to it. We know a couple people missed it completely because they were away.

Basically, yes. Rules for comics in fanfic in general are rather iffy (there's always the question of should they be allowed, or should they only be posted in artwork). But I think, if you have a clear story, I personally will allow it.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That actually makes things much, much easier for me. My muse is alive and well for comics and I can crank out a few pages.

22. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
  23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Just a reminder that you have one more week to get your stories in!

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Hello all!
    Sorry for the delay, Bri and I were trying to decide what to do since we only got 3 entries for the Dare Challenge. We decided that it wouldn't really be fair to vote on so few entries, so we've decided to give Chyntuck, divapilot and Nyota's Heart 1 week of colors each! Thank you for writing your Dares! :D

The winner of Mod's choice Dare will be announced as soon as your mods decide who to pick. (Yes, yes... we've had weeks to decide, but we haven't. They were all great!)

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My muse just wasn't in it for this challenge. I had something planned, but my muse wasn't letting me write it.

Nonetheless, enjoy the character designs from that something.

[​IMG]

Boeing the Vornskr (who wears a red shirt) and his sidekick, the elementary-aged Wattsy the Hoojib. They lived in a TARDIS.

That's pretty much as far as I could get with that dare. :(

Ewok Poet, pronker and Chyntuck like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.