main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Mortis Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by I know, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Captiv

Captiv Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2015
    Hello, i am going through and rewatching the vlone wars tv series and just finished ep 15 of season 3 when they arrive in mortis. During this episode anakin was awken by athe son portraying as anakins mother and anakin said multiple time "you are dead" and " i felt nothing but vengence as i killed thrm in revenge" so im curious as to when this episode it bases in the timeline as in thr movir it is shown in a way that anakin decline rapidly to the dark side and shortly after the act of avenging his mother death he completely fell to the dark side which is leaving me confused. If someone could shead some light that would be great.

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    There are 3 years between Anakin killing the Tuskens, and Revenge of the Sith.

Mortis, along with the rest of the Clone Wars, takes place during those 3 years.

3. Captiv

Captiv Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2015
    You are completely right darskpine. Idk why but i had a brain fart snd thought anakin killing spree was in revenge of the sith but yer i done ****ed up lol

4. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Captiv

I merged your thread with this one since you were asking questions about Mortis, next time please use the search function the forum has to offer to make sure a thread doesn't already exist.

Also welcome to the forums. :)

5. NakkyGraphics

NakkyGraphics Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2015
    So in the Clone Wars series, who were they? And how powerful were they? Were they considered jedi? Who was more powerful, Yoda or the Father?

6. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    The Father was basically the big Force guy.

The Son was Evil Force.

The Daughter was Good Force.

Yoda is...just Yoda.

That's all I know, I'm afraid.

7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They're Force users, but not Jedi. The Son represented the Dark Side while the Daughter represented the Light. The Father kept them balanced.

There's no way to know, but I would say the Father is more powerful than Yoda.

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    We don't know what they really are, or even if they really are, and we will probably never know.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This isn't really about the PT at all, so

Moving to SW TV section

10. Jar Jar All The Way

Jar Jar All The Way Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2014
    I didn't understand those episodes really. Like would the son be as powerful if he did leave the planet? Would he lose some of his power? Was he even real? It was confusing.

Sent from George Lucas' iPhone

11. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    They were three beings from an old species of force users. Being the only three left, the son developed his dark side and the daughter developed her lightside. The father realized that they were all too powerful, and could bring disaster to the universere. So he constructed Mortis and sealed them inside, hoping to keep the balance between his children until the day someone could replace him.

12. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The most moronic story line of the entire Clone Wars series.

theraphos and Todd the Jedi like this.
  13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    My favourite storyline in the entire Clone Wars series. :p

14. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Who are those? I don't know those. I have never watched those. Nobody has ever watched them. The TV series never showed them. They don't exist, they have never existed and will never exist. *closes eyes and put hands over ears* TRA-LA-LA-LAH! I CAN'T HEAR YOU SPEAKING ABOUT THEM!

Now, seriously. Those don't fit in Star Wars. They should be buried and be forgotten. I could accept them only if it were made VERY clear that Obi-wan, Anakin and Ahsoka Tano were tripping balls and their bodies were babbling uncoherently on the surface of Mortis while their minds were experiencing Force-induced visions.

I could accept them if it were made clear that they weren't really gods or incarnations of the Force but ancient shapeshifting aliens of a now extinct species. Show a hint of their history, about how their people left the Galaxy, and make them less alegorical. More a species of Yodas and Palpatines and less Crystal Dragon Space Jesus's Holy Trinity.

15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The only thing I got from it was that it was George Lucas's warped and fictional account for the Christian doctrine of the Trinity (from Latin trinitas "triad", from trinus "threefold") defines God as three consubstantial persons, expressions, or hypostases: the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit; "one God in three persons". Then he threw in the Force Priestess with its split personalities and where you're left with the possibly this is supposed to be the Mother of the Church, Mary. One wonders of Lucas was going through a spiritual crisis at the time, perhaps selling SW was on his mind.

I don't know about the Son, originally the storyline was that he was being corrupted by Sith Lord spirits of Revan and Bane, that was deleted to the narrative he was the growing dark side, but thats true since remnants of the story still remain where he was essentially good or nuetral and that free will was present that he was choosing to do great evils for the greater good and that the father would not let him and the sister herself was capable of destruction and both had to be tamed. A theme of too much light and too much dark was always apparent, and images of the yin and yang and the Sith and Light Side symbols ect.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Doesn't matter now cause they are all dead. But it was a good arc, though not even close to the Savage/Maul arc, really the only great arc to come out of clone wars

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The people who think it was just some force vision did not pay much attention to the episode because the Jedi Order received a distress call that was 2,000 years old thus someone had to send it so at least we know they are real.

whostheBossk and DreamingGod like this.
  18. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Some Jedi who got stranded and died there 2,000 years ago could be responsible for the distress call.

19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I felt like the behind the scenes commentary of these episodes made things more confusing than merely watching the episodes. I felt like they could have been taken at face value, that 2,000+ years ago there was this guy whose children were extremely powerful and so he sealed them away to protect the rest of the Galaxy from their power, and that one followed the light side and the other followed the Dark Side, and Father kept them both on Mortis to control them, hoping that after he was gone, Anakin would be the one to take his place and keep the Galaxy safe from his children.

But then in commentaries it was said several times that the writers were basically told to imagine that the entire arc was taking place inside the tree on Dagobah, as though it were all some kind of vision and not real. But whereas the tree on Dagobah was blatantly surreal and had things like Vader having Luke's face, in the Mortis arc, there is mention of Father withdrawing from the temporal world and stressing that Son can't leave Mortis, or that because Daughter had died on Mortis, so too would the Dark Side grow in strength in the temporal world, etc.

And then in the Yoda arc, when Yoda asks Anakin about having said he had seen Qui-Gon, Anakin kind of dismisses it as though it's a vision, and yet Qui-Gon does indeed crop up as being someone that can communicate from beyond. And according to Filoni, there was a cut line from the Priestesses in which it is stated that Father had a very narrow view of the Force, or something like that. Implying that like Yoda and Qui-Gon, Father had done the trials, presumably before he ever withdrew to Mortis, and would have confirmed that Father was very much a real person.

But since that dialogue was cut, we can't say for certain whether the Story Group treats those characters as canonically real beings.

I don't have a problem with super powerful beings existing, but I think the arc was a mess in that rather than having a clear idea of what they wanted the story to be, it seemed as though they would partially develop ideas, then drop them, making the arc feel like a jumble of incomplete ideas. I mean Father even talks about Dark and Light as though they are both necessary and must be kept in check, just like his children. Implying that there is a place for Son in the galaxy. But then later on in the arc, he criticizes Son for having fallen to the Dark Side, which would have been explained as being the result of Sith spirits tempting him (though that idea was dropped). So Father seems like he wants Son and Daughter to be in balance, but he disapproves of Son for succumbing to the Dark Side?

As far as who they are, I feel like it's implied that they all are real beings, and that it was not just an illusion. That Father is 2,000+ years of age and withdrew to Mortis to keep his children in isolation. But as far as their views of the Force and how the episodes articulated those ideas, I feel like it was a jumbled mess of ideas, made more complicated by fantasy elements that seemed out of place even for Star Wars (Son turning Ahsoka to the dark side by biting her, a sword that is required to kill Son, Son deriving his power from Father, etc.)

missile and Darth Basin like this.
  20. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I felt they were personifications of different levels / elements of the Force. The Father representing balance leaning toward the light, the Daughter being pure light, the son being pure dark / evil. My theory is that Talzin of Dathomir was once the Mother in this equation, and she was balance leaning toward the dark. She was described as ancient and immortal, and her leaving Mortis could have been what brought them out of balance. She also has an insane amount of power - but that power is drawn from a planet and the living Force. I'd further theorize that all these characters would have near unlimited power while on Mortis, but all would have to draw on the living Force if they left. That's why Mother Talzin represented the biggest threat to Sidious, had her cult transferred the living Force to her, she'd be able to use all her powers on a Mortis level - wiping out the Sith with ease.

21. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    George explained it to Filoni that they were gods and more powerful than Jedi Knights.

22. jkarateking

jkarateking Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    I just watched the Mortis arc from clone wars and I am wondering if it is all a vision because if it actually happened then it ruins the force. I mean there was so much bad stuff that I hope arent in the real star wars world like injecting force users with the dark side. The dark side is something that force users can channel, you cant just inject it into someone, that literally ruins the force if Mortis actually happened.

So did Mortis actually happen or is it a vision of some sort?

cwustudent likes this.
  23. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Moving to SW TV Forum

24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    It happened. Can't do anything about it. I don't think it ruins the Force, since there is various conceptions of it.

25. jkarateking

jkarateking Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    So you can just inject someone with the dark side and make them evil? Good going Lucasarts, great thinking.