main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Most Hated Teams of All Time

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Sports illustrated recently ran their 25 Most Hated Teams of All Time list, and it got me wanting to debate and discuss it. Hatred is one of the best (and worst) things about loving sports, and for those of us who have had more curses than championships, hating a team and watching them fall is the best we usually get.

Here's the list:

25. 2010-11 Miami Heat
    24. 1909 Detroit Tigers
    23. 1983-84 Georgetown basketball
    22. 2001-02 Toronto Maple Leafs
    21. 2001-02 Portland Trail Blazers
    20. 2004 U.S. Olympic basketball
    19. 1919 Chicago White Sox
    18. 1976 East Germany women's swimming
    17. 1993 Notre Dame football
    16. 1974 Oakland Athletics
    15. 2005 USC football
    14. 1972 Soviet Union Olympic basketball
    13. 1986 New York Mets
    12. 1991-92 Duke basketball
    11. 1990 University of Miami football
    10. 1998-99 Manchester United
    9. 1989-90 UNLV basketball
    8. 1976 Oakland Raiders
    7. 1993-94 New York Knicks
    6. 2007 New England Patriots
    5. 1978 New York Yankees
    4. 1974-75 Philadelphia Flyers
    3. 1992 Dallas Cowboys
    2. 1988-89 Detroit Pistons
    1. 1986 University of Miami football

My quick observations:

1) I love that they included the 2004 USA Men's Basketball Team. That's a team we should hate. They had potential, star power, and ability, just lacked drive and desire and motivation, and didn't seem to care when they lost, no matter how embarrassing the loss was (I still remember feeling shame watching the Puerto Rico game).

2) I think the 1972 Soviet Basketball team should be higher. They cheated and had the world cheat us, and everyone points to that game as a textbook example of a stolen game and a stolen championship.

3) I can think of plenty of Yankee teams I hate more than 1978, but maybe that's just me. :p

4) I love that both #1 and #3 in the article have the following: Jimmy Johnson (pictured, left, with Michael Irvin).

5) I personally think the 1997 Florida Marlins should be on the list. And that's not just bitter Cleveland talking. This was a team that went out and bought a bunch of free agents, played one year, got their title, and then sold them off. That's a farce and an insult to everyone in America who loves a baseball team and sits through the perils of the rebuild and watching youngsters learn how to play together.

SI also included an honorable mention list, including:

1990 Argentina national soccer
    2000 New York Yankees
    2002 Ohio State Football
    2007 Boston Red Sox
    Alinghi, the 2003 America's Cup winner
    1905 New York Giants baseball
    1993 New York Mets

Now, I rank the 2007 Red Sox as one of the most hated teams of all time, and it's not just bitter Cleveland, but that does play a role in it. And I can't see how anyone could hate the 2002 Buckeyes ... :p

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Huh.....interesting. That was probably the last legitimate Cup contending team the Leafs had. I guess it makes sense that they were hated then? :p

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I'm surprised that the Black Sox aren't ranked higher than they are on that list. I believe that to be a textbook example of players cheating, and it wasn't fair to the players on the team who were trying to win. Not only that, but they also cheated on all of baseball, and put a dark mark over the sport for quite some time.

I can understand the 2001-2002 Blazers. It was hard to be a fan when a player got arrested every couple weeks.

Another thing that I could understand being put on this list would be 2010 Duke basketball. Due to the Hoosiers notoriety, it seemed like most of the country loved Butler's run to the NCAA Championship game, and absolutely hated Duke for winning because they were the "large" university with deep athletic funds.

I'm kinda surprised to see that the Big Red Machine of the 70's with Cincinnati didn't make the list, considering that Pete Rose was a part of it before admitting to gambling as a manager many years later.

That's a farce and an insult to everyone in America who loves a baseball team and sits through the perils of the rebuild and watching youngsters learn how to play together. :

That's all my team ever does these days, and they just can't get everything together, since all of the youngsters seem to get shipped off in bad trades.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    wasn't pete rose pretty much loved as a player? i mean i guess you could hate a team in retrospect because of something someone did later but that seems a bit petty.

i'm surprised the lakers are absent from the list, especially kobe/shaq era lakers.

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, Laker teams seem to be off this list for the most part.

I referred to the Machine not really because of Rose, but because a lineup such as that would have made the Reds quite a team, and due to some other teams on this list and why they were so loathed, I could see that as being something to really have hated back then in the 70's. Of course, you could also say that the Yankees after the acquisition of Babe Ruth could be hated by Red Sox fans, and his part in Murderer's Row.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    (emphasis added) I always get a kick out of this, because Duke is not much larger than Butler. A little larger, yes... but compared to most prominent athletic schools, Duke is tiny. Ohio State, for example, is nearly 10 times the size of Duke. Florida's pretty close to that, too. If you look at the four Final Four schools, they would go Michigan State (huge), West Virginia (very large), Duke (very small), Butler (very small)

I almost started this thread yesterday, then forgot about it [face_blush] I can't stand Miami, but I thought it interesting that Miami football took 2 of the top 11 spots. That 2004 Olympic team is a classic example of a team everybody pulled for then but now hates in the aftermath. Even then, there were things to not like about the team (attitude, etc)... but you know everybody was still pulling for them.

7. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I'm kinda surprised the undefeated Dolphins team isn't on the list. People are just itching for someone to go undefeated so we can stop hearing about them.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think it's kind of hard to hate the reds or to compare them to the yankees. they play in a relatively small market and they're baseball's first professional team. when they do well it's good for the game.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Large in terms of student population? No. Large in terms of name recognition, athletic budget, etc? Yes.

So, they are a large school. From a certain point of view. ;)

But, even in those terms, Duke is nothing compared to the likes of Ohio State and Texas.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The 2001-2002 Lakers should have been on this list.

Back-to-Back!: 2008-2009 & 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: World Champions:cool:

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I agree, the lack of Lakers on that list suprises me, but I guess when you have somebody breaking up with their city in the douchiest way possible to form a superteam with two other players, I guess that temporarily trumps any of the Laker teams.

Or maybe the list is being magnamous given that next year is Phil Jackson's 'victory lap'? *shrugs*

Cowboys will always be the #1 hated team of all time to me. GO 'SKINS!

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, this list is sort of surprising...the lack of Lakers teams on there makes me [face_thinking] . Still, it has some interesting banter waiting to happen.

13. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    The Leafs don't need to be winning to be hated. They're just hated in general. Go Leafs Go!

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Can one of you Americans explain to me why the 92 Cowboys are hated more than the 2007 Patriots (I despise the Patriots in general, but I've never laughed harder than watching that SB play.)? Just because they're the Cowboys? 92 seems to be a random year though...

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    A lot of it is the constant swagger by those Cowboys teams, and a lot of it is the "thugness" of those Cowboys teams. When an offensive lineman is arrested for having 200+ pounds of weed in his car, your team probably has a thug problem.

And, they were just way too cocky for a team that hadn't yet won a Super Bowl, and three years earlier was 1-15.

Plus, the following year (as a carry over from this year), Emmit Smith had a holdout and missed two actual games. That always negatively resonates with fans. Always.

In contrast, the Patriots didn't get cocky until after they won stuff, and a lot of us could still resonate with things like "Tom Brady, sixth round pick, now one of the greatest". We hate them, but we respected them.

16. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    It is my duty as a Cowboys fan to point out that they had won two Super Bowls prior to 1992, Super Bowl VI and Super Bowl XII:p I also agree with the person who said the undefeated Dolphins, because I have a friend who will not let it go. I try to point out they've won two Super Bowls, both well over 20-25 years ago, and have lost two more since then. But to him, all that matters is that perfect record

17. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    The Miami Heat just took over.

18. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Besides no Laker team being on this list, I'm surprised no Celtics team made the list either.

19. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    For me (in no particular order):

'96 New York Yankees
    '98 Denver Broncos
    '99 New York Yankees
    '05 USC Trojans
    '10 Canadian Olympic Hockey

'01 Georgia Bulldogs
    '02 Georgia Bulldogs
    '03 Georgia Bulldogs
    '04 Georgia Bulldogs
    '05 Georgia Bulldogs
    '06 Georgia Bulldogs
    '07 Georgia Bulldogs

Yes, I'm from Atlanta, how could you tell? [face_whistling]

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The 2008 Phillies, and 2002 Angels and Giants ought to be on that last as well.

Back-to-Back!: 2008-2009 & 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: World Champions:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.