main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Movie thread!

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Miana Kenobi, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Talk about any and all movies that you've seen recently - be it in theaters or on TV, this is place to talk about them.

I'm rather annoyed; I'm going to be missing all of the fall's movies as the Czech Republic is several months behind. Hellboy II is finally coming out soon. I enjoyed it the first time, so it might be interesting to see it in Czech.

Also, I started watching Kung Fu Panda for the first time on the plane, but they shut off the entertainment before I could finish! :(

2. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    I finally got to see The Dark Knight last Friday night. Very good movie.

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I watched a movie that the bf had in his collection called "Danny Deckchair" over the weekend. It's an Aussie movie. I loved it!

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I watched Airplane for the first time over the weekend while a friend and I were waiting for SNL to come on.

5. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Dark Knight is a wonderful movie. Best i seen this year, and beating Transformers takes quite soemthing.:eek: I love how everything just fits together perfectly, sarting with the actors, the overall atmpsphere and *gasp* that soundtrack! Lovely bit of art.[face_love]

Seen 'Wanted' yesterday. My prediction about the 'huge surprise' in the move turned out to beright. Hollywood, please work a bit more on surprising me, right? I only needed to read one review to figure that one out.:rolleyes:

Great part at the beginning when Sloan explains the special abilities of the main character...
    Sloan: A rare ability, few people have it. Your father had it, you have it...
    Me: ... and your sister has it too![face_laugh]

Too bad my bf didn't get the referrence and thought that was the surprise.:oops:

Nice movie, but better leave your brains at home when watching. Not enough chrashboombang to make up for passages of o_O and [face_tired] and The Ominous Loom Of Fate.:oops:

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Caught up on a handful of movies I should have seen this week:

The Queen - Excellent film, though I suppose I'd know more of what was going on if I was British. Still, wonderful acting.

American Beauty - Don't know how I never saw this movie, but it was SO GOOD. Wonderful acting by Kevin Spacey and Annette Benning. Great film.

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day - Charming movie. Amy Adams was in that wonderful role that you hate someone so much that you love them. Great job; a shame it wasn't marketed more in the states.

Koyla - Czech film that won the Oscar for Best Picture a while ago about a Czech man who ends up with a Russian stepson during the Soviet regime in Czechoslovakia. Adorable, heartbreaking film.

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    The Queen was a good movie. I liked that it was more about Blair and The Queen's relationship and how that one snapshot in time (how the royals dealt with Diana's death) made them more human. I don't think it made them more likable, but more human.

8. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Speaking of The Queen (which I really liked), the other day I watched a movie on one of my old video casettes and it turns out that I had recorded that movie the same day that princess Diana died. I know this, because I had accidentely taped the news along with the movie, and it was all about Princess Diana. It was very strange to watch.

9. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I have been meaning to rent The Queen, since this reminds me I'm going to try and pick it up today.

American Beauty is a great movie, I loved Kevin Spacey in it too! A friend of mine did his make up for another film and she raved about how much fun he was to work with. It's nice to hear when a star is friendly and doesn't act like everyone is beneath them.:)

My favorite Spacey movie is Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil, I've watched it countless times.8-}

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Today I watched the Disney movie "Meet the Robinsons." It is actually really really cute. It's kid humor, but still funny. The end made me want to cry, though. So cute.

11. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I LOVE "Meet the Robinsons"! It was original, and had the poignant end to boot.

I watched National Treasure 2... not as good as National Treasure. And both seem like "Davinci Code" knockoffs.

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I watched Zero Hour yesterday

A Must-Watch for ANY fan of Airplane!

13. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    The last movie I watched was Batman at the movies.
    There's this movie called "20 years after" and I'm really looking forward to it.

Life after the third World War. Sounds really interesting.

14. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Baader Meinhoff Komplex is a good moive. Loads of action and thigns going boom and still characters you can understand. It's amazing how you start out really liking them at the beginning, but in the end feel they did overdo and are now the baddies.
    A bit of knowledge about the RAF terror and all that is of advantage, though. the film does not stop to explain it much.

Now looking forward to Hellboy and Krabat.:D

15. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I would love to see the 'Bader-Mainhoff Komplex' as well, but I bet it'll be the same with the other movies: I have to wait for the DVD. :p

Btw, does anyone know when it comes out on DVD?

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'll have to see it then :D

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Two more to add to the list:

Ashes and Diamonds - Polish film. It was kinda meh, truth be told. Nothing too spectacular.

The Shop on Main Street - Czech film from the 1960s, and probably the most depressing movie ever. Wonderfully done, though. It has great writing, acting, and cinematography. It really punches at your heart. It's about a Slovak and his relationship with a very old Jewish woman in anti-semantic period around the beginning of the second world war. So good.

18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The Baader-Meinhof komplex premieres in Sweden next Friday, would be interesting to see. My main problem with seeing films at the moment is that in my town the cinema is so small that they just dare to put up films that they know are blockbusters from the start. I so miss living in Uppsala where there were room for smaller films, there was even a pure artsy cinema.

And to add on to what other people said, I love the Queen, it was definitely one of the best films of that year. I wasn't as impressed by the prequel, the Deal, which deals with how Blair was chosen to be the leader of Labour. Quite interesting though since the deal was made between Blair and Gordon Brown. I think that one was never released on the big screen though.

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Two new ones from this week:

Psy - One of the most popular Polish films from the 1990s. It's a cop flick, and reminded me of movies like "Heat" that guys really like or something. Pretty good, though.

Closely Watched Trains - Polish film set during WW2. Surprisingly funny, though still has a sad ending. Okay, overall.

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I saw Mamma Mia! - sing along yesterday and that was the funniest thing I've done in a cinema since the ROTS premiere. Basically it's the film but when they're singing you get the song lyrics karaoke style and the whole audience is there singing. I also realised how well everybody knew the lyrics since during the aftertext there is no karaoke text, but everyone sang anyway.

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    So you got to block out all the horrible singing? Sweet. :p

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    As my sister said before walking in, at least we don't have to worry about how we sounds, since it can be worse than Brosnan's singing.

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Fixed. :p

24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Don't be so picky. How much difference in the meaning of a sentence can a little 't do?

25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    ;) Liebe, Johanna. :D

This week's two:

Blind Chance by Krzysztof Kieslowski (Poland)

The movie was weird, but once you got the hang of it, it was brilliant. One event in a man's life changes the path of his destiny; what happens when he misses a train, catches the train, or misses it and gets in trouble. Very awesome film.

Next is Diamonds of the Night by Jan Nemec (Czech Republic)

This movie... eh. It was good in terms of a movie, but not very captivating or engaging. Most of the movie is silent except for the background noise (which was actually great), and there's no music. It's an experimental film about two boys who escape a concentration camp transport. It constantly flashes between now and their dreams/memories, so it's a bit hard to tell what's happening, what's really happening, and what they're just imagining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.