main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The MSC/DSC 2004 Planning and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    With MSC/DSC approaching this March, and the ongoing discussion that has begun in the ShadowCon thread, I thought it best if we give it it's own thread and start organizing our thoughts here.

First and foremost is booking rooms for Friday, March 26th and Saturday, March 27th. We need to know who all is interested in getting rooms at the Con. We're not planning on having a public room party, especially considering the expense involved and the lukewarm reaction we got from our appearance at last year's MSC. However, I would encourage inviting select folks up for refreshments. If we can book early enough, we can get a great rate, and possibly guarantee that we'll be getting adjoining rooms. What I need to know now is who all wants to be in on this, if you mind sharing a room, or if you want a room of your own. Your share of the expense will be determined by the number of folks sharing a room with you, of course, so let me know something as quick as you can.

Also, I would like everyone to be in costume. Essentially we'll be acting as human billboards for the SMT, and there's no better way to do that than getting your Jedi on.

I'd also like us to have some T-shirts by then, so when we're out of costume we'll at least have something with our name on it.

As I stated earlier, I'm planning on skipping the entire fan table thing this year. Granted, we did have a lot of folks show up at our table last year, but we had only a handfull of people express any interest in joining. In the end, we only got one new member. (And we picked him up while wisecracking at the costume contest. Right, Lin?) Also, I don't want anyone stuck behind a table for hours on end while getting bombarded with questions and comments about regarding our philosophies on The Force.

Right now, I'm thinking 'Low Key' concerning our involvement with MSC, especially considering how low our active membership is. I doubt that I'll change my line of thinking. I don't want to do any panels or anything like that. I want this to be as fun and stress-free for all of us as possible. (Just think of it as practice for Celebration III!)

-Tim

2. TamboFett

TamboFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2003
    Hey Memphis FF members. I was the 501st Jango Fett at last years Con from Clarksville/Ft.Campbell. I'm looking forward to this years along with a bigger turnout of Our members and lot's of costumes and fun. Hope we can all hang out and maybe have a table together, Remember all of our new members are yours as well...maybe we can work something out.

3. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    in case you dont know,

the room rates for the hotel are 79bucks.if you book and PAY 21 days in advance the rates drop down to 65 per night.good savings there.check out the hotel website for more info.

im sure ill pop in and out of this thread.

skip

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Skip. Book early and save some dough, kids. Why? Because Darth Vader told you to.

Glenn: We're looking forward to seeing all of you again this year at MSC. Like I said, we're skipping the fan table this year, but that won't stop us from hanging out at yours. And this year, I want to have my pic made with my foot on your back, OK?

Oh, and someone remind me to bring a six-pack of Natty Lite so we can get Michael Sheard to shut up for two minutes. Better make that a case.

5. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    Yeah, hopefully no interruptions of "GEORGE LOVED MY DEATH SCENE THE BEST!!"

Hey, what exactly are we planning on doing this year? Will we be having another forum, or will we just be floating around, freaking out the Mundanes?

-Darth Grace*

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Why, we'll be floating around, freaking out the mundanes, Grace. And we'll be having one hell of a good time while doing it! I'm staying far away from doing anything that actually requires work this year....for any of us. We're going to do what we do best at this year's MSC-

We're going to PARTY!

7. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Count me in. I don't mind sharing a room either- heck, I've even got a sleeping bag. Just need a place to shower and change- and crash after the party(ies!)- or as George Carlin would say, "...a place for my stuff."

I'm going to be helping set up the art room, but other than that I don't plan on doing any work! I'm looking forward to just hanging out, hitting a few panels, doing the artist meet/greet Friday night, and lounging in my new jedi outfit!

I heard that the artist guest of honor wants the other artists to play Pictionary!

Glad to see the 501st is coming out in 'force'. Looking forward to seeing what new improvements Jengo as done to his costume, and any other surprizes the 501st may have up their sleeves...

Yeah, t-shirts should be do-able by then (but I doubt hockey jerseys). I'd also like to do some good flyers, and maybe a few posters. We need to have a club event planned for soon after for anyone who's interested in joining.

Lin

8. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    Anyone interested in splitting a room? Also how soon do we have to pay to get a reservation?

-Tim

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, t-shirts should be do-able by then (but I doubt hockey jerseys).

I'll take this on. I have some contacts. ;)

10. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    According to the website, reservations are recommended to be done by 02/23/04 to ensure rate and availability. However, if you miss that deadline, it probably won't be a big deal. Just be sure to tell the hotel that the reservation is for the MidSouth Science and Fiction Convention (or MidSouthCon) or you will get stuck with a higher room rate.

Heck, the La Quinta is just a short walk away anyway. Slightly cheaper rates, but you may want to inquire first before turning your room into a Cantina bar. :D
    Details at:
    http://www.lq.com/lq/reservations/property_overview/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ575&propId=575

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Rhonda, for taking on the T-shirt thing.

And what the hotel doesn't know won't hurt them, especially when it comes to setting up a bar in our room!

Now all we need is a stripper and a donkey.
    (C'mon. I know you folks have seen Bachelor Party.)

Tim: Lin is looking for someone to split a room. The rooms have two double beds. We really need to book our rooms no later than then end of the month. The sooner the better, really. We won't have to pay until we get there, unless something has changed and I'm not aware of it. (Shows how much I travel.)

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I posted a thread in the Rebel Legion forum about MSC/DSC and mentioned that we'd like to invite any RL folks to the party.

I guess we should talk about how we're going to stock/finance a party room. Catering is out of our non-existant budget, so any ideas? Volunteers to get food trays from Sams? Coolers with can drinks/beer/wine? Charge a quarter? Beg for donations at the door? [face_blush]

13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'd say mostly byob... but I'll bring an extra bottle or two of vin.
    I'd say we just make one of our rooms the party room, unless you just want to do an extra one (that may be better).
    Here's the thing. The hotel wants you to buy their liquor at the bar or room service , as its high. (I really doubt this hotel even has room service). It may not be a big deal to them, but its better safe than sorry. We'll be coming in up the back way and will bring in a cooler or something like that, so it won't be a real big thing, but let Tim and I handle that. As for food we can just do like its a meeting or picnic and everyone bring snacks/food or pitch in to Tim, Traci and I and we can go to Cosco.

No prob on the shirts - its a surprise. ;)

14. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Yep, I'll bunk with someone.

I don't mind snagging a few cases of drinks, bags of chips, and some other munchies. I know I'll probably snag some kind of wussie alcohol for me to drink.

Don't forget that we'll just need it for Saturday night. The con has a hospitality suite that's part of the price of admission- and you can get the good stuffs for about $5 extra. There will be a meet/greet the artists party on Friday night as well.

Tim and Rhonda Let me know if I need to talk to my boss and see if I an get a discount thru here for t's, or maybe trade out some overtime for it. I haven't pursued the issue much because there was really only 6-10 of us that would get some. Heck, if we each got two, that might help hit a minimum. Worse case senario I can set up something on-line for us and we can buy them at their cost. I know we can't do cool sublimation/dyed jerseys like the 501st have, but I may be able to come up with some kind of hockey jersey, even if I have to print it or do tackle twill letters and/or patches.

Mike I got a message from my buddy Mike at Dark Horse. He forwarded my email to the right person there and said he'd get back with me closer to the con. He's gonna try and hook us up with some good stuffs! I told him I'd love to see DH at the con someday- especially if he could get Eric Powell (Goon) or Sergio Aragones (Groo)! Since DH does a lot of horror, Star wars, Aliens/Predator, HellBoy and Buffy books they would be great to have here. Mike and his twin brother Ken both work there and are from Millington. They'd be great on a panel. Ican get Carlin in touch with them if he's interested.

If the con ever got a model contest going I know we could get the guys over at Amazing Figure Modeler Magazine to come down. One of the publishers, David Fisher is great with painting demos/panels, and his wife is from Memphis and they live in Nashville. they come down for the holidays to visit her folks.

Rhonda: A surprise...?!

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Lin: We'll get the food list all sorted out sometime in March. How about letting me take care of your booze for you? (I'm sure you can just hear Sharon's words to Sal at the campout regarding my sour apple martinis- "Don't drink that. It'll %$&@ you up!")

Oh, and way to go on contacting Dark Horse. It would be great to get them involved, especially considering how diverse they are in the kinds of comics they publish. That's exactly what I think MSC needs- more comics, more horror, more movie guests. More diversity. I think if they focused a little more towards the mainstream that they could even attract the more casual science fiction fan.

Oh, and I emailed Peter Mayhew last night and asked him to get in touch with MSC. Hopefully, they'll hear from him. Bring on more Star Wars guests! (And bind and gag the drunken Brit and throw him in a supply closet!)

Rhonda..... A....surprise. Uh oh, guys- They're all going to have Anakin on them. A really BIG Anakin.

16. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Tim and Rhonda Let me know if I need to talk to my boss and see if I an get a discount thru here for t's, or maybe trade out some overtime for it. I haven't pursued the issue much because there was really only 6-10 of us that would get some. Heck, if we each got two, that might help hit a minimum. Worse case senario I can set up something on-line for us and we can buy them at their cost. I know we can't do cool sublimation/dyed jerseys like the 501st have, but I may be able to come up with some kind of hockey jersey, even if I have to print it or do tackle twill letters and/or patches.

Yep, a surprise! [face_mischief] I've got it all taken care of. You won't have to do a thing. :)

17. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Why do I get the impression that we're all gonna be walking around with life-size pics of Darth Vader on our chests? ;) [face_laugh]

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    There's something wrong with that,Traci?

19. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    As long as it's not that scary Hayden beach shot Rhonda posted!

Tim:Yep, Dark Horse would be a great addition to MSC. They've got HellBoy, Aliens VS Predator, Buffy, KISS, The Goon, Groo, and of course STAR WARS! We'll see what happens, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Peter Mayhew! We might want to remind the other Brit to "let the wookie win"...

I'm really looking forward to this con. Don't think we'll be cracking as many jokes at this costume contest, though! Oh who am I kidding- we will! The compition should be raised a bit this time around...and be VERY entertaining!

Rhonda:Can't wait to see what you have up your tunic sleeve!

20. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Hey- isn't Sal's birthday the Sunday(28th) after con? Party for the big guy!

BTW- where is Sal anyway? He's been awful quiet...

21. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    ...bind and gag the drunken Brit and throw him in a supply closet!

Did someone mention me? ;)

22. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Brits, drunk? [face_laugh] (In that case call me a Brit!)

Do you think I would actually share with you guys a shirt with Anakin on it?!? Hhhmph... [face_mischief]

Vader.......maybe

Wish you could be here for our very own Memphis Redneck Con, Ben. [face_laugh]

CAT baseball caps and Gandolf robes... :)

Kidding!

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    No, not you, Ben. We were talking about another drunken Brit! :p
    Michael Sheard never stops flappin' his trap. And he drinks constantly. Even more than you!

And Sal's birthday is on March 28th, Lin. We'll have to call him and tell him we're having fun without him.

24. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I hope Ben has better taste in beverages than Natty Lite!

I've been contacting a few comic companies to see if they are willing to send down some promos- or artists! Keep your fingers crossed...

A CAT hat and Gandalf robe..?! Man, add a big walking stick and a breakfast sandwich and that may be my entry in the costume contest! Now, where did I put that BurgerKing coupon and my 'Dukes of Hazard' 8-track..?

25. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    Hey Lin, we ago for a room then? If so you going to book it?

I'm actually starting to get excited about this. I hope DH sends some good stuff, they do some great work in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.