main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The MSC/DSC 2004 Planning and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzraelHorn

AzraelHorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2003
    ^Yeah, I saw that too and was just about to mention it.

2. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    It was great seeing you all again!
    Here's the few pics I got:
    http://kellilla.com/me/cosplay/midsouthcon2004.html

now I'm going to go back to sleep :B

3. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Cool pics, Kell!

(Speaking of sleep, your fearless leader has been unconscious ever since we got home, LOL.)

That was TOO much fun, y'all! Don'cha hate coming back to Darth Real Life?

Sadly, our camera died so I have no pics. :( But my email addy is in my profile if anyone wants to share. [face_hopeful]

4. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Sorry I left early this morning....sleeping with window open and pollen at floating in air...couldn't sleep........that plus a hard floor, needing a shower like yesterday and the dueling deviated septums was enough for me LOL :) thanks again I had a lot of fun and ready to do something again

John

5. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Oh, and Lin - we have your makeup and lightsaber from the suite, and Jay - we have the comic book you left in our van.

6. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Hey everybody,
    just wanted to stop over and say hi,

wow,what an event!
    these cons are what you make them,and id say we made it rock!
    kudos to the SMT for a job well done on the costumes.next year we need to make sure both groups are suited up for some big group pics.

what can i say about the masquerade.lots of heat,took forever ,but was still cool.i couldnt have made it without that fan out front.great skit with the ghostbuster and beetlejuice,beetlejuice...beeee,,naaaa

and then the dance party.last year it was dead.only a few people.this year id say it was much more...um,,imperial???????
    hope everybody had fun.
    cya

skip
    darth predator?????

7. TK-6873

TK-6873 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    Hey, if any of you guys in Memphis happen to have gotten a Sunday paper, could you save it? I'd like to get the copy. Some of our guys are in the story regarding the costuming panels and one guy didn't get a copy. Email me if you could. I can make arrangements to get from you. Thanks.

tk_6873@yahoo.com

8. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Jeff I'll take care of it for you. You will have it in your pretty little hands at Kidz Fair next weekend.

Chuck

9. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    *sings* "it's soo harrrd to say goooodbyeeeee to yesterday!!!!! yeeeee!!!" Real life sucks! Boy, I really needed this weekend. Thanks everyone, I had a blast. "OOHHHH MY GOD!"

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks to everyone for such a great time. I had such an incredible time, and most of it was attributed to old and new friends. I was extremely pleased with our suite, even though we didn't get the adjoining double room we were promised. (Ah well, though- At least those of us who slept in the suite didn't have to deal with the battle of the deviated septums!!)

And thank God and all that is Holy for late check-out!

It was great to hang with our buds with the 501st again, and we hope to see y'all soon. The Predator costume was great, Skip. I really enjoyed the way you targeted Michael Sheard at the Masquerade. BTW- It was me who was yelling "GO FOR IT!! DO IT!!!". I was hoping that thing was functional.

Can someone tell me just what the hell that whole skit thing was supposed to be? I haven't been that bored since I saw the last Lord of the Rings movie. I was ready to throw Frodo in the fire again.

The best guest there had to be Dragon Dronet. We had a good time hanging with him, and we thank him for his gift of a DVD copy of Batman: Dead End. (And y'all be sure to thank Lin that we still have it. Your illustrious leader near lost it, as he has his mind!)

Once again, we picked up a handful of possible new members. One was Antone Wade, creator of Jetta: Tales of the Toshigawa and all-around funny guy, as well as his wife, Janet. Another was Marcus, the dude in the Sandman costume from Logan's Run. Hopefully we'll be hearing from them soon.

And, as always, it was a joy to have Kevin with us. We're still laughing at his behavior at dinner on Saturday night. (The new Spider Man book comes out soon, you know. I think that poor waitress has been scarred for life.)

Lin still gets the sarcasm prize, with his snappy retort to "Darth Ossirus/Omnipotent/Oz/Impotence/Whatever"- "What? Were all the scary names taken?"

Sal gets second prize for his exploits on the dance floor. We won't even go into detail here.

But, in the end, it was Tim C. who topped us all by making "geek" look good. Ah, to be 21 and thin again. And to be able to dance. And to look like a young Dennis Quaid....

And we were wondering where John had disappeared to. We thought for a while there that he had been captured by a certain little blonde who was all over any-and-everthing with a pulse on the dance floor last night (as well as some things that didn't have a pulse, I think.) If anyone ended up with her, don't say you weren't warned, and the Health Department's phone number is in the Yellow Pages.

Thanks to Traci, Rhonda, and Jay for helping get things set up and going in the suite. It's a shame that things didn't work out where we had a whole lot of guests, but it was fun nonetheless.

It was great meeting Zach from the Nashville FanForce. Hopefully we'll be hearing more from him and his group soon. It was also great to see Bill Tracer again. I had no idea how talented he was with computer graphical art. If any of you missed his work in the Art Show, then you missed some extremely cool stuff. (I almost did! His works were in the cubicle to the left of Lin's.)

BTW, Lin- I want that Pig!

Now, someone tell me why in the hell I didn't steal the stick? It should be on my mantle, spray-painted gold, admired as my battle trophy against geekdom. Twice I have had the opportunity to take it from that geeky little twit in the baby blanket cape who thought he was something. Why do I have to continue to be a nice person??? I should have at least snapped it in half. (As I wish I could have done to him.) I hate when I have to explain my insults to someone. Stupid, geeky little kids- Bless their cotton-pickin' little lonely hearts.

I worked out the math on the accommodations, and it comes out to $37.95 per person. You can all pay me the next time we all get together.

I think the past several weeks of not sleeping finally got

11. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    {i]"...the Commercial Appeal mentioned the SMT and the 501st S.O. as Star Trek fan clubs."[/i]

I think Dragon was the closest thing to a Klingon I saw all weekend! (BTW, Tim- I've got the DVD, and my precious is safe!) If anyone wants a copy of the CA you can order one from the paper. They keep back issues for about 30 days, and will ship them to you.

Gotta say thanks to the 501st, and NAD members that made it down, including that 'ugly mother...' Skip- I was standing behind you when you backstage when you sighted Michal Sheard with the tri-lasers- too funny! Great costuming panel, btw.

It was great to see all of my fellow SMT'ers in costume! I was really pleased with how they all turned out, and felt pretty cool in mine for a SW geek! Well, actually I was sweating my a** off! I think my costume ended up being about 30-40lbs of material...I wish we could have stayed in them longer, but the BeetleJuice costume was MUCH cooler! Traci, Rhonda, Jay- man, I was really impressed with how your costumes turned out. Lil' T, you make a great Anakin, Sal, it wouldn't have been con without ya, big guy, Kellglad you made it out- and kudos for the mulitple costumes!

Thanks, John for the batmobiles- and sorry you ended up crashing on the floor listneing to me and Jay snore.

Kelly, sorry I missed you. Hope you got to see the 501st's table. Keep an eye out on the boards for our next SMT get-together. Looking forward to helping out with the fan-film.

Big thanks to Carlin and Michael for including more SW and comics in the MSC! You guys were running your tails off everytime I saw you! Thanks for including me ins a couple of the panels. Had a great time on them and meeting the comic folks. Sorry I missed the Legion meeting- after I took a shower I was out of it until Jay ran in saying Sal was downstairs dancing with a lightsaber! I'll be posting on the MSC and Capatain Comics boards later to let you know more about what I liked and didn't like and would love to see for next year.

As far as 'the party', I had a blast. I'm feeling it this morning, and passed out on the couch about 30 minutes after I got home yesterday!

Tim: I'll try to slide by this week to pick up my junk and bring you some $s. The suite was AWESOME! Thanks for taking care of the reservations (and BOOZE!) and for all the help on the costuming. The pig needs a bit more painting- I kinda rushed it for con, but we'll see about finding him a new home...

Bring on TIMMYCON!

12. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'll be taking at least the next weekend or so off.

I'll be taking the next year or so of weekends off!!! Good lord, I'm tired.

I'll come by after work and pay you for the hotel this week, can't stay long - its back to Darth Real Life until Celebration III, the way it looks!!! [face_shocked]

13. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Hey I had a great time.............I'm almost caught up on sleep....FINALLY!!!!! It wasn't the snoring as much as it was the open window with my allergies inflamed to the max. Sorry I disappearred w/o saying good bye but you and Jay were really going at it snoring I didn't wanna wake you guys up. That was a blast...now I need to get some more sleep for another busy weekend, but hopefully it'll go smoothly and have you guys come over soon. Lemme get my stuff arrainged so I give a proper tour :) !!!!! Nice to meet everyone too from the 501st and Kevin it was nice to meet you too!!!!

I did something for the first time in months last night............I went to bed before 10............and I'm still tired after waking up @ 9!!! :s Maybe in a few weeks we can get together at my place.....eat pizza and watch movies and etc. I'll let you know more after I get set up!!!! later and (MTFBWY)

John

14. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Sounds cool, John. I could dig some pizza and a movie- and checking out toys! Sorry about the open window, but when Jay and I first walked in there it was as hot as the rest of the hotel- ugh! My sinuses were so screwed up from the weather change and all this past week I'm surprized I could breathe at all.

Well, I'll be out of town this weekend. I've got to go paint a mural at my sister's church in Middleton, TN.

BTW- the MSC's boards are here. When you get a chance be sure to let them know what you liked/disliked/would like to see next year. They won't know how you liked the MSC unless you let them know. Thanks again Mike for some great programming this year.

15. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    Hey guys, Kevin emailed me some pics so let me know if anyone wants me to send them some.

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I got them, too, Tim. We need to get everyone's pics as soon as we can so we can update the site.

17. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    Who was in the Predator costume in those pictures?

Oh, and did anyone ever get round to making a Cock-Knocker costume?

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    It was Skip in the Predator costume, Ben.

And, no....sadly there was no time to make the Bluntman, Chronic, and Cocknocker costumes I wanted to do. Maybe next time.

19. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Should we have someone follow around behind Cock-Knocker with a sign that says, "Hey, kids- it's Mark Hammil!"?

As soon as I can get my pics back and compiled I'll get you a picture CD, Tim, and anyone who wants one. I'll go ahead and start working up some mock-ups for the member cards, then once I get all the pics of us in costume I can finish them up for the members page.

Ben: Do you have a full body shot of you in a SW costume?

BTW- Kev's pics (and commentary) are here.

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I love Kevin's captions, and I'm stealing, er...borrowing his pictures for the SMT site as well. I also need to post a link to his site as well. The pics are awesome. And how did he get that pic of a young Dennis Quaid in there?

I didn't know you and Kev even won the "Best in Show" prize at the Masquerade, Lin! Either I was delirous, or the sound was just that bad. (Probably a little of both.) Don't y'all spend that whopping 20 bucks all in one place, OK?

21. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    ^Raises hand^ Me! Me! Send pics to me, please. :D

22. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Hey- I didn't know we had, either! Maybe that's just like Kevin's Spiderman story...anyway- I'm hanging on to the $20 so Kev and I can eat on the MSC at the MSCA dinner meeting this week.

I'll get copies from Kev and trade him the ones I shot. I'm also trying to compile any others out there and put them in folders by who posted them. We should have plenty for the website.

BTW- saw this on Captain Comics' website forum posted by Carlin- "Final numbers 1036 people in attendance. Up 200 from last year."

Also read his run-down of the con. Found out why they only had 2 computers instead of 5 at registration- apparently 3 were stolen last week! Doesn't explain the long line at pre-registration or the poorly marked lines, but I can see how that threw a monkey wrench into the works. Oh, and it seems we were lucky to get served at the restaurant- some of the guests weren't.

I do have to give Carlin and Mike their props. The comics, costuming, and SPFX panels I went to were very entertaining and well attended and run. Bless ya'll's blistered feet!

Oh, and if any SMT'ers didn't make it to the MSC or have your picture made in costume, please send me a full body shot of you either in a costume, your everyday work clothes, pj's, or whatever (within reason!) so I can do the pics for the members page. I'm going to be doing action figure blister packs. Heck, I'll even take a picture of you with a SW celeb and make a trading card or book cover out of it. I've seen other fan clubs and cons do it and thought it would be a cool way to combine our love of SW, costuming, collecting, and the SMT!

Go geeks!

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    What the hell did one have to do to be refused service at that hotel's restaurant??? I mean, I can see if they stank to high heaven, or were just complete jerks. I went in earlier, asked to see a menu, (which I took outside to show Traci and Rhonda), went back in and told them that I'd be back with a group, and had no problems whatsoever. One just has to project a smile and a good attitude, and the folks running the joint will ignore the Jedi robes.

Oh, and I'm sure it helped that we all had bathed that day and wore deoderant.

24. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    funny tim,funny!

deodorant!!!!!!

do those people even know what that is!!!
    i didnt even smell as bad as some of them after i wore those life sucking costumes.i thought vader was hot till i built the Pred.

Lin,thanks for the compliments on the panel.we would actually like to do a better one.the things we talk about are so "old" to us,but we know that even the most basic knowledge can be very valuable to some people just getting into the hobby.and though some people see the 501st as an "uppity" "show-off" kind of group we really arent like that at all and like to help people get into what we do.

i think next year i may try to do a panel on actually building stuff.perhaps painting techniques,heat forming plastic ,those types of things.something where i could make or do something and show people how i do it.maybe Lin could be there to scuplt something? how would something like that go over?

I too enjoyed DRAGON's panel.I love building props and would love to do it as well as he does.not that my stuff isnt pretty decent.just not up to his level.I would have really liked being able to find out more about prop building from him.
    and where was he during the masquerade?i wanted a picture with him while i was in the Pred.

25. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    TIM......

I HAVE THE STICK.......

heh..a little patience and a little sneaking goes a long way....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.