main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

The Multilingual Writers Club: Hey, look! It's the quote of the day!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SilSolo, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I don't know if there's been one of these on these boards before, but if there has, then it must be buried under 100 pages and I guess you can call this v2.
    Hi! Bonjour! Hola! Ni hao! Konichiwa! Guten tag!
    I just thought I'd start a thread where ESL people might get advice on writing ff in English and where writers who are most comfortable with English might learn a few things about writing ff in foreign languages.
    By multilingual I mean everyone who speaks English+at least one other language and high school courses count (I'm French III and I love to read in that language).
    Edit: Since this idea worked so well... Before you reply for the first time, scroll down to my next post to the thread for the instructions on introducing yourself. Have fun!

Proud polyglot,
    SilSolo/Caroline/*writes Chinese name*

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Interesting idea... I'm in my 4th year of Spanish, but by no means bilingual yet. :p

I hope Ish finds this thread. I know she's previously written fan fic vigs and such in Spanish. :)

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Bonjour! I think it's an excellent idea. I started out with the Francias as my main lanuage for learning. I had a terrible time adjusting to English as my main language for writing, once I became of school age. I could speak both languages. But I found French to be the most simple for me. I think it was because of the accent. I'm not sure. 8-} I'm now mainly the other way, and find English to be the most simple for me now. ;)

4. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Well, I speak little bits of loads of languages, Enlgish fluently, and French is getting close.
    But probably not enough, seeing as I have problems when posting on the French SW forums that I visit occaisionally.

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, I was drawn to this thread. I'm bilingual, but I'm SSL--Spanish as a seventh language. Or rather, seven is the number I can read, not speak. I speak two. Anyway, if anyone foreign wants help writing and needs a beta, I'm always willing to help. I've been interested in foreign writers ever since I became friends with Mar17swgirl and she let me nitpick her grammar and help her with phrases. I love that girl. Beware that you post a translation or people might do what they did to me. I wrote "Yo lo se"--I Know--in Spanish, and had several complaints that, though I wrote on the subject line that it was a spanish language fic, I shouldn't write Spanish on an English-speaking board. I disagree, but there are rude people out there.

6. Viola_Telcontar

Viola_Telcontar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 14, 2004
    Great idea SilSolo!

I'm a German who tries to revive and keep her English alive in these boards.

I had the usual foreign-languages-trinity of German schools: English for nine years, Latin for 5 years and French for 1 year (but last time I tried to talk in that language was about 6 years ago and I'm glad when I understand 1 or 2 words out of 10 by now). Oh, not to forget my 14 days of Italian, so I know how to order red wine in a restaurant (what else do you need?).

Useful link to the biggest German/English dictionary:

[link=http://www.leo.org]leo.org[/link]

Viola

7. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    I've been taking Spanish for the last 5 years, but I'm no where near fluent in it. I've done a bit of work at trying to write some songs and poems in Italian but my translations take a very very long time. My goal is to one day post a songfic or viggie in Italian.

~Jenn

8. Hans_Highnessness

Hans_Highnessness Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2005
    I speak German (see bio) and English. Though I tend to get cases wrong sometimes with English, but I am honestly trying. :D

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My best languages are Spanish, Latin, and Ancient Greek and only one is very useful.

10. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    English is my main language, pero tambien puedo hablar espanol. Ich kann auch Deutsch ziemlich gut sprechen. I never wrote a story in another language, though.

11. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    I speak english and hebrew, but not well enough to write fics in it. (Ani Lo Yoda'at K'tav fanfic b'Ivriit!) (Translated: I don't know how to write fanfic in hebrew) And the fact that the boards don't supports hebrew print or cursive doesn't help much.

12. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    I sorta know Latin...

13. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I've written a children's book in Spanish and I'd love to write a vig in it too. The problem is that the children's book took many hours of labor and searching through a dictionary. :p I'd much rather have a source of Spanish vigs to read, because I'm VERY good at reading Spanish, just not writing or speaking it. Bloody grammar. ;)

Jae O:)

14. KnightedRogue

KnightedRogue Jedi Master star 3

Aug 11, 2004
    I've got half a decade de espanol under my belt (and Spanglish is quite pertanent in my vocab, too), but it's been half a year since I've had any real exposure to it and I feel a bit rusty. I love reading fics in other languages; I think I told DarthIshtar that English in many ways hampers the creative process. I consider my native language very gutteral. Kudos to those of you brave enough to post fics in other languages! Keep it up!

*KR*

BTW: My third language is ASL, and while that is muy fun with which to communicate, it cannot be properly done on message boards. :_| :_| ;)

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    lol, i'd like to do an ASL fanfic, alas...

Agh, Spanglish was so hard for me to overcome because becoming fluent in spanish while working in California, half of the stuff you hear is Spanglish. I was living with Mexican, Salvadorena, and Spaniard girls who wouldn't let me cheat on my Spanish and then I had the billion slang words I had to keep straight from the people we worked with.

I felt like parts of my Spanish fic flowed better because there were more words for it in Spanish.

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    BTW: My third language is ASL, and while that is muy fun with which to communicate, it cannot be properly done on message boards.

*Fives someone else who speaks ASL*

I have never taken ASL as a class, but I can get by "speaking" it. My mother signs (she's not Deaf, however), and my sister does as well, so I've just picked a lot up from them.

17. Lady_WinterCelchu

Lady_WinterCelchu Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2003
    I've written A couple of things in Polish. I'm fluent in both english and Polish. Lol my first language was a mix between the two.

Not many Polish People on the boards that i've come across.

I could get by on German but im by no means fluent.

18. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I guess this was definitely a good idea. Well, just to introduce myself, I've been schooled in China for a while, but I'm most fluent in English because I've spent my last eight years in American schools. I'm nowhere near good enough at Chinese and French to write fanfiction in those languages, but I can translate from either of these languages to English.
    So, anyone want me to write down a list of names with all the languages they know? Something like this:
    Name
    First Language
    Second Language
    Third Language and so on
    Languages in which that person can write ff in
    Languages that person can read and translate between

Me
    Name: SilSolo, Sil, or Caroline
    First Language: Chinese
    Second Language: English
    Third Language: French (at least I hope to be able to call it my third language one day)
    language I can write ff in: English, maybe Chinese once I'm exposed to more Chinese literature and get all the SW Chinese/English translations down
    Languages that I can read and translate: French/English, English/Chinese (not very good at French/Chinese since I study French in a American school and I often end up translating into English instead of Chinese)

19. Lady_WinterCelchu

Lady_WinterCelchu Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Sure. Guess i'll go next.

Name: Gemma

First/Second language: Don't know exactly which came
    first but Polish and English. Though i go to an English school so i speak English predominally.

Third Language: German. I can maybe get by on Russian but i havent tried in years so im not sure.

Languages in which that person can write ff in: English and Polish.

Languages that person can read and translate between: English, Polish, German and maybe Russian.

20. lazykbys

lazykbys Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    My turn!

Name: lazykbys, a.k.a. Reiji Kobayashi
    First Language: Japanese, technically
    Second Language: English
    Can write ff in: Japanese and English
    Can read/translate between: Japanese and English

I'm a Japanese who spent eight years of childhood (and not-quite-childhood) in America, so I'm more or less bilingual. I've written fanfics in both languages, although for some reason I can only write Star Wars fics in English - even when just jotting down ideas.

Maybe it's because Star Wars is in English. Hmm . . .

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Name Darthishtar
    First Language--English
    Second Language--Spanish
    Third Language and so on--French, Latin, Ancient Greek, Hebrew, Middle English
    Languages in which that person can write ff in, ENglish, Spanish, Latin
    Languages that person can read and translate between--English, Spanish, French, Latin, Ancient Greek, ME, rusty on Hebrew these days.

22. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Is language your major in school, Ish? You know several of them. [face_thinking]

I've passed on learning spanish in school. As my area where I live is just mainly a French/English community. And I had a hard enough learning English in Public School while growing up. I didn't think learning anymore would be a good idea. [face_laugh]

When I first entered School, I could speak and understand both languages. But my parents never taught me any writing in English, say for my name, and a few basic words. It wasn't until I was in High School that I showed a great improvement. Which was a very good thing considering the job I ended up doing when I grew up. [face_laugh]

23. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Name Glen Michie, call me Cobra though
    First Language British English
    Second Language French
    Third Language and so on Middle English, Old English, German, Spanish (On Occaision), Small amounts of Chinese, Malaysian, Japanese, Dutch, Italian, Gaelic, Welsh, Norwegian.
    Languages in which that person can write ff in SW: English, could probably do one in French if I really tried.
    Languages that person can read and translate between English, Middle-Olde-Modern-Americanized-Anglasised, French (Easier to read than listen), German and Spanish can figure out.

24. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    I'd like to join, if I may.

Name: Conrad
    First Language: I've got a weird story behind this, so I don't really know if English or Spanish comes first.
    Languages in which that person can write ff in SW: English, spanish if I wanted to. Never had the urge, though.
    Languages that person can read and translate between: English and spanish. That's it.

25. Jaina_Solo_59

Jaina_Solo_59 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2004
    Name: Kathleen (Please call me Kat though)
    First Language English
    Second Language Spanish
    Third Language and so onI speak a little french and I know a little german.
    Languages in which that person can write ff in: Spanish english or Spanish
    Languages that person can read and translate between spanish

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.