main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Music of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Christopher Blair, Apr 8, 2016.

1. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    It's no John Williams.

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    This is not a constructive comment, and this forum is not one big "complaints" thread. You can list your complaints in the "complaints" thread, but going from thread to thread just to rattle off gripes is not acceptable.

3. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    For everyone waiting for the next Oxygen, David Collins is hosting a music event at Celebration
    The Music of Rogue One: Analysis with David Collins
    Come celebrate the music of Star Wars as host David Collins explores the connections between Michael Giacchino’s score for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and the legendary work of John Williams in the saga films. The music will be analyzed in connection to story and character, breaking down both new and classic themes.

4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Ditto. It's rare that Jonipoon and I agree on something. But on this, we're on exactly the same page.

Darth__Lobot and Jabba the Hud like this.
  5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I re-watched the film yesterday and the music that really stood out to me is the Jedha music. It's quite good!

6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Absolutely. Especially the Saw/ partisan music, with those drums and what sounds like a sitar. Menacing, but with a cultural flair.

Avnar likes this.
  7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I must say that the music on this film has grown on me, particularly Giacchino's Imperial Suite. Honestly, I would have preferred that to be the new theme for The First Order in the sequel trilogy. It has a sense of nationalistic grandeur that would have suited them nicely.

Gigoran Monk, Larsonator and Sarge like this.
  8. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    The music at the end of the movie is absolutely incredible and totally haunting. I think it starts when the Star Destroyer crashes into the shield gate

9. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    From that point on, the score is some of the best music in the Star Wars film-verse, IMO. Blasphemy, I know!

10. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Here's a lovely cover version of "Your Father Would Be Proud":

Blue 5, coervus, B99 and 2 others like this.
  11. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    The name of that track is "Your Father Would Be Proud". It is amazing :)

Blue 5 and Darth__Lobot like this.
  12. Takes One to Rogue One

Takes One to Rogue One Jedi Padawan

Jan 4, 2017
    I've been checking every day for four months now for Vol 39, so I'm glad we're getting something this month.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it starts when the first sd hits the second sd.

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Wow, that is beautiful..

15. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Amazing.

16. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    "Let it go" is overrated ! :)

cwustudent likes this.
  17. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    I was disappointed the music wasn't more distinctive. But in the end, I decided that was for the best. The score stayed low key and out of the way.

Star Wars music tends to be operatic with its leitmotifs, full of energetic swashbuckling of the derring-do of our heroes.

Rogue One was a war picture. Full of horror, suffering, death and Pyrrhic victories. There was no swashbuckling or upbeat action. So the music staying subtle was OK with me.

Sarge likes this.
  18. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Having watched R1 several times at home now, I have to say the score is fantastic considering how little time MG had. The only parts that I dislike are The Jeddah intro cues and the cue when we first see Yavin IV - that seemed a bit too cheesy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    The soundtrack has really grown on me since my first viewing. Tbht I've always liked the music on Jedha (and specifically the music in Saw's hangout)

20. Smellmet

Smellmet Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 16, 2017
    I thought the music for RO was very solid, especially considering how short a time the guy had. I'm fast becoming a fan of MG, his score for Star Trek Beyond is amazing. The RO score stayed on the right side of the bombastic williams scores, and rightly so given the tone of the movie, but it was nice to hear some of the famous themes littered here and there, and they didn't seem gratuitous or over used. I liked it.

21. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

By the Jedha intro cues, do you mean the intros to the partisans and Saw, with the sitar and drums? If so, that's my favorite music in the film, right next to "Your Father Would be Proud."

My least favorite music was Krennic's theme. Seemed a tad generic (almost Marvel-esque), and was a little too bombastic.

22. TheRebelFleet

TheRebelFleet Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2017
    Okay, I'm addicted to Krennic's/empire's theme now. It fits so well in the beginning scene and the introduction of the death star. I am replaying that scene over and over. Also, it appears again in the beginning of the Battle of Scarif. This theme fits so well. I like it better than the Imperial March. :D

cwustudent likes this.
  23. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Indeed! It gives that moment a signature, like Vader's theme coupled with his SSD's reveal in Empire.

TheRebelFleet and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I really like this track a lot. Definitely underrated IMO. It's the music from when they climb the vault to retrieve the data tape and activate the master switch.

Gigoran Monk and cwustudent like this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I've come to really love the RO soundtrack.