main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Music of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Christopher Blair, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    None of the movies are of poor quality. And why would a soundtrack somehow suffer from a movie being bad?
    A soundtrack for a bad movie can still be great, just like a great movie can have a lackluster soundtrack. The music doesn't suddenly turn worse just because the pictures shown aren't to your liking. If the music doesn't cut it, it is because it doesn't cut it, not because the movie itself is dragging it down.

Not that I generally disagree with the ST-soundtracks being a bit weaker. There is some great stuff in there, but the OT and PT went way beyond what was offered here.

KyleKartan likes this.
  2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I mean we could just discuss the Music of Rogue One without bashing other films or scores...

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  3. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    As someone who always liked Giacchino's music in "Lost," I really like "Your Father Would Be Proud" because it's very reminiscent of Giacchino's style from that show, just on a much grander scale. And while I appreciate all the nods Giacchino gives to Williams throughout the rest of the film, I love how "Your Father Would Be Proud" is 100% his own composition and style. There's a kind of deceptive simplicity to his style. It's not as elaborate or ornate as Williams' work tends to be, but it's great at delivering an emotional gut-punch when needed.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I'm a huge fan of Giacchino's Lost music. I rewatched the entire series this year and wound up listening to the scores for a few months. Fantastic!

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I also really liked his work on the soundtrack for War for the Planet of the Apes.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    From 3:55 onward, I still hear all the background noise from the movie. I can't not mentally fill that in whenever I listen to this song.

Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. And it’s the best part of the score. Williams-lite isn’t really worth it, in my view. I’m glad Star Wars has moved past that crutch.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Here's a different direction they could have gone with the score:

9. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    My first thought after reading but before clicking: "is this going to be 'Fortunate Son'?"

Darth__Lobot, Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Options: ON or ON [face_laugh]

12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think I may have said this before on this thread. But I just watched Rogue One recently and I was reminded: I love the score for this film. IMO it's the closest non-John Williams score to sounding like it IS a John Williams score. So many great moments and themes.

CampOfSorgan, Darth__Lobot and EHT like this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The peak for me is "Star-Dust". The quiet piano section when Galen speaks to Jyn is out of this world. It makes the emotion of the scene incredibly strong. When I watch it, I am Jyn and Galen.

CampOfSorgan, EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Giacchino is always good at the quiet stuff.

CampOfSorgan, Lulu Mars, EHT and 2 others like this.
  15. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    There's an old Charles Bronson/Tony Curtis movie called; You Can't Win Them All. If you listen to the soundtrack of this film, you'll be surprised at how similar the music is to Rogue One.

16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I love the tranquil theme as the surface of Scarif erupts and Vader's shuttle heads toward the stricken Rebel cruiser, it is brilliantly cut by the sound of panic aboard the Profundity. It sets up the violence of Vader's rampage, could the moment be any more perfect?

17. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    This is one of the most perfectly scored scenes in Star Wars period. One of my favorites scenes in the entire saga:

KyleKartan and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Absolutely beautiful. Giacchino earned my never-ending respect with the score in that scene.

19. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    The score initially felt like SW from an alternate universe or something, or like unlicensed SW imitation music, but I've since come around on it quite a lot.

And I've always loved the piece when we first see Jeddah. Very Dune.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The only two wrong notes in the film, IMO, is the blaring/ soaring score that accompanies the quick cut from Wobani to Yavin IV, and the triumphant score when Jyn is trying to convince the Rebel Alliance to launch a mission on Scarif. Otherwise, perfect.

EHT likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The only music I don't care for is the generic fanfare that accompanies the SW logo. That just doesn't cut it, especially when you compare it to the John Williams main theme, which is really beyond compare anyway.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    When you compare it to something that’s beyond compare? :p

TCF-1138 , Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  23. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    For me, some of the placement of the music is off, rather than the quality. I wonder if that was a scoring issue or a directing/editing issue.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Too little variation in the films score. The main theme is such that I cannot watch the film anymore. It’s far too repetitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    “The main theme isn’t variable enough” being the reason to not watch the film anymore strikes me as unintentionally hilarious.

Sarge likes this.