main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Music of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Christopher Blair, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Eirikur

Eirikur Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 4, 2014
    I'm disappointed.

I was also looking forward to what Desplat was going to bring to Star Wars. He seemed like the perfect fit for a new take on the Star Wars score.
    What worries me now is that with Giacchino we're going to get something that is way too similar to John Williams.
    I listened to some of his scores and nothing struck me as rememberable or unique, IMO he seem to have the Hans Zimmer syndrome where everything sort of blends together after a while.

And also, seeing as Desplat couldn't compose because of rescheduling makes me think the reshoots weren't planned at all. Which doesn't bode well.

2. Welsh Hero

Welsh Hero Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2016
    Giacchino did well on incredibles, up and ratatatouie. Could be good here as well

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  3. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015

I don't see how something that was pitched as a war movie, and with comparisons to Black Hawk Down and Private Ryan would be better served by adding jokes and taking out a lot of the war, probably. When Star Wars goes light you get Ewoks and Jar Jar, dark you get ESB.

4. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    TFA had reshoots just a few months before it was released and turned out very well. The process never worries. The only thing that matters is the end result.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Eh...Something was up with Desplat to begin with. There was talk for awhile now about if he was doing it, wasn't he doing it, rumors of contract issues. It could just be the old political two step. Everything was fine until you need an excuse for something...

It's the same that it's always been with the re-shoots IMO. The truth is somewhere in the middle, and they're going to put the PR spin on it to make everyone coming out looking good (or at least better).

6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I love Giacchino but I REALLY wanted Desplat. I wanted something that sounded different. In my mind Giacchino is the person to take over the reigns of the main films if/when there comes a time that Williams can't, but I want to see the Anthology films go in a different stylistic direction with each outing. I hope that is still the case. Very much missing Desplat already, but I think Giacchino is going to deliver something worthwhile.

7. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    You can quote me on someone who would enjoy a more "realistic", more gritty Star Wars film, but my friend: There is an ocean between that and fart jokes. By lighter, i think more optimistic.

8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I am super Excited for Giacchino coming on board, don't get me wrong Desplat has a lot of good scores but Giacchino is one of my favorite composers with an eye for a John Williams sound! I loved the Incredibles, Ratatouille, John Carter, Super 8, JW, Inside Out, Tomorrow Land, and the Medal Of Honor video games. the list goes on I am probably forgetting some...

@Othini

I don't think this has to do with the tone of the film or the re-shoots, just scheduling conflicts, why make up a fake reason when just as easily Lucasfilm could just say we wanted a different tone for the film and are going in a different direction?

9. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004

The film will likely end with a new hope for the Galaxy

10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I wouldn't say that at all. What changed about the reshoots was the timing, not necessarily the extend. They pushed them from the originally scheduled spring to summer. As such, this change in composers doesn't say anything about the extend of the reshoots at all. We found out that Giacchino is doing the score now, that doesn't mean that this switch was just made, it could have happened quite some time ago. It could mean that they had to make the change recently because they simply couldn't get the movie done to a point that Desplat could work with it, but at the same time this could have been obvious to Lucasfilm back when they had to reschedule the reshoots. The current news doesn't offer proof one way or the other.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm okay with this change actually. Although I would've liked to hear Desplat's take on Star Wars (I really enjoyed his work on Harry Potter), I do enjoy Giacchino's scores as well. IMO he is quite good at capturing the mood and flavor of previous composers for any scores he's done. I KNOW some argue that basically just means he lacks originality and he just mimics previous composers and I can see that, but he has been quite successful in his own right. He has enough memorable original scores (like some listed above) that serve as a good counter to that point. I also quite enjoyed his interpretation of the JW score for his work on Jurassic World, as well as his work on Super 8 and Star Trek. His inclusion might lean towards a more classic SW universe-sounding flavor for the score. I was interested to hear a new take, but I bet I'd really enjoy that as well.

Although I must say this is pretty late in the game to switch composers! (Assuming the change was recent) I know they usually don't begin work on a score until post production and after editing, but Rogue One is out in like three months. That's cutting it pretty close. Interesting...[face_thinking]

12. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Ok. Agree it is possible the reshoots was rescheduled back and forth and so on. So it could come down to the timing of it all. I still believe the fact ( and we have that confirmed ) that Tony Gilroy coming in to co edit/direct is more a confirmation on the status on the movie regarding the extent of reshoots, and what was changed. We will probablynot get the whole truth about that. Either way, i do not believe Desplat is not doing it because of artistic/ creative reasons. Desplat is also an extremely busy composer, sometimes he does 5, 6 films a year. Pretty extreme. Strange though, that according to his IMDB page, there is little coming up for him. An Assays / Polanski collaboration, a Wes Anderson project for 2018 and another French project. But that could change.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  13. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    This is obviously concerning in that it's another clear indication of the BTS turmoil going on with Rogue One, but I will stick up for Giacchino - I think he's a wonderful composer. His Jupiter Ascending score was really wonderful. My only concern would be that Giacchino is big on bombast and that his style would seem like a more natural fit for the saga movies, than the supposedly gritty and militaristic RO.

14. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Woah. You sat through Jupiter Ascending. I'd love to hear your analysis on that film in another forum. Because I couldn't.

15. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    I'm probably the biggest Jupiter Ascending fangirl you could hope to find. I love that film unreservedly! I'll answer via PM if you want to know specifics.

16. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Lost have beautiful music, but it's not the same thing as Star Wars though.

I have to wonder, how much departure his music will be from John Williams style.

MG's music has the ability to make people cry, but that's not really JW style.

17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Well it won't be the first non JW scored film. Kevin Kiner is the first composer to do a feature length Star wars film other then him.

I was looking forward to Desplat but having just watched Star Trek Beyond 2 days ago I am in a Giacchino mood.

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I would love a Ride of the Valkyries style piece to accompany the X-Wing and U-Wing attack on Scarif if that is what happens.

21. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    That's still more TV than film in my book... ;)

22. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Since Desplat left due to scheduling rather than creative issues, I think that this change in composers isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. It could just be that they needed a new composer since they were unable to work with Desplat, and they chose someone who has a good working relationship with Disney in Giacchino. Which IMO is a good choice; I loved his work on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah but is still technically a feature film. I will bull ***t my way to making Kiner the first.

24. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    Dang it, i think my post got deleted or something. Anyway, it was basically me saying how I feel more confident in the new Composer(Giacchino) better than Desplat.
    Infact now there may even be an opening crawl.

25. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    Hm, I'm curious whether the scheduling conflict is the whole truth. I'm wondering if creative disagreement between Desplat and the studio is any possibility here.