main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Music of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Christopher Blair, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Could be pure scheduling or that they decided they didn't want him or he didn't want them because they wanted a more JW-esque score which he wasn't interested in providing.

In essence it seems that Gilroy has taken over from Edwards totally in terms of the reshoots, editing and now his preferred type of score.

As you say it seems the reshoots were for the spring then got moved so it could simply be that with all that shuffle that AD simply couldn't do it.

MG was always going to do a SW movie at some point (several probably) so now SW Oxygen can just do a MG show in addition to their JW ones.

2. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    There'll be far less to talk about on the MG show.

3. Pewbacca

Pewbacca Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 31, 2016
    I just listened to the Star Trek Beyond soundtrack by Giacchino, and though I haven't seen the movie, the OST is pretty good. I would expect something similar for Rogue One. Shows that he can do pretty good moody stuff.

4. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    MG is a pretty good back up, and he may well have been a close second choice when they originally approached Desplat.

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm throwing this in because it's sort of relevant and interesting.
    It's not specifically about Star Wars, though Alexandre Desplat has a short moment in it.

ewoksimon, Jedirush2112 and emanswfan like this.
  6. DINVADER

DINVADER Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2000
  7. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    My only concern with this is the late change. I really rate Giacchino's work on Star Trek and The Incredibles. I always assumed he'd show up in a Star Wars project sooner or later anyway considering how closely he's worked with Abrams over the years. I think he's a great fit for Star Wars.

8. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Been seeing this guy do tons of scores lately. Didn't he do JW and Inside Out?

9. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Its because its ambient music.

10. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Taking into account the vastly different tones of each composer, I prefer Giacchino, who is my favourite composer, if we discount The Maestro. Giacchino music is much more present in the movies. Much like with Williams. If you compare the OST of The Prisoner of Azkaban with The Deathly Hollows, the difference is simple huge in favor of the fomer. Not to mention ST, a saga that has a fantastic main theme (when I first heard it I thought this sounds so SW-ish), and has some songs that could perfectly be part of a SW movie. Or Giacchino´s fantastic work with JW soundtrack, and how it mixed the what Williams did with his new theme song.

The day John Williams is no longer available to write SW, I would love Giacchino to be the new man in charge. And taking into account this move, it seems like a safe bet right now.

dekaneas likes this.
  11. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Lack of an opening crawl had nothing to do with the composer. Why would it change?

12. emanswfan

emanswfan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 2, 2016
  13. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Since Giacchino is in... I'll just leave this here.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  14. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Basically, it sounds like within the last month Desplat turned down other offers, citing his commitment to Rogue One, which may suggests a scheduling conflict isn't the whole story. The author guesses that the film had a tone shift via reshoots that Desplat couldn't or wouldn't adapt to, and left (or was fired from) the project. But on this point he has no source or evidence.

I'd say the author is totally wrong that Giacchino will have to built on whatever Desplat has already done. There's no need to and there is still enough time to develop his own original score.

emanswfan likes this.
  15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Yeah, the article sounded like Internet speculation. May be true. Maybe not.

16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    who cares? it's their business.

17. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    It was reported that there would not be an opening crawl for this movie, and in my opinion the primary reason why not is because they were not planning to use the Star Wars Intro theme at the beginning of the movie because Desplat was intitally going to bring a whole new sound to this movie.
    But now that Desplat is gone, it opens the door back up for an Opening Crawl along with the Star Wars Intro theme. It's what we want, it's what we need.

dekaneas likes this.
  18. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I thought Kennedy said they weren't sure weather there would be a crawl but they were leaning with no crawl? also has the Giacchino news been reported on www.starwars.com and, It was my understanding that Desplat wrote the score, Giacchino was just going to Conduct Desplat's music maybe make minor tweaks, Is this assumption based on the Entertainment Weekly article the most likely outcome?

19. Gabricjen

Gabricjen Jedi Master star 3

Dec 16, 2003
    Who scored the trailer music for RO? I loved the teaser trailer music but I felt the main trailer form a month ago... it dragged on too long before it hit the high notes. Was that Desplat?

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So Desplat went splat?

darth_mccartney likes this.
  21. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Hahaha niceeee!

22. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Just an example of how greatly Giacchino can combine his own theme with William´s classic work:

23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I have to say this switch out of composers is lowering my expectations for the film. Instead of expanding the musical vocabulary of Star Wars, I fear we'll just get Williams lite. I'll be happy to be wrong.

Howard Hand likes this.
  24. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    zam wesell2005 I disagree. The Score to the Original Star Wars movie itself, ANH, had some really light music during the Tatooine segment. The music depicting the Jawas, as well as the Cantina music from Mos Eisley is very light. Even Empire has some light music for Yoda.

Having said that, I am worried that they are changing Composers with only 3 months to go until Rogue One premiers. It is a little late in the game to be changing Composers. John Williams usually worked close to a year Composing his Star Wars Scores. At this point, they should already be getting ready to conduct and record the Score with an Orchestra. I like Giacchino very much, and I think he is a better fit; but this will be a rush job, even if he is only adding elements to the ReShoot parts of the movie.

25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Is the story supposed to be that MG came on months ago and we are just being told or that he just came on this week?

If the former then the schedule scenario is more credible.

If the latter then it make it much less so to the point of being nigh unbelievable.

At this point recordings should be getting down with composing taking place several months or more prior.

If MG is just starting to compose in the last week or so then the timeline would indicate more of a fast replacement.

This kind of thing has happened many times in movies of course but the idea that AD had composed his score but then couldn't make the recordings is just silly.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.