main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Music of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Christopher Blair, Apr 8, 2016.

1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    It had nothing to do with the composer though. He wasn't even part of that conversation. Its a different movie from the saga films and that was the reason for the departure.

As far as what we want, the vast majority seem to support the idea of no crawl in at least this anthology film.

2. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Yup, I heard that it was Desplat who indeed composed the trailer music... While he managed to blend both the timeless "Imperial March" and "Binary Sunset" in that piece, seems like many industry observers (and SW fans alike) feel that Michael Giacchino is a better bet for Rogue One... Simply because he has worked with Disney on the sountracks for many Pixar movies, including those for Up, Zootopia, The Incredibles, and the three Star Trek movies, and is a familiar face the studio can count upon! ^:)^

3. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    I had just been wondering if MG would ever do a Star Wars score the day before the news was mentioned. Great to hear. =D= All I can say is he better start soon!

4. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Movies aren't made to fit whatever music the composer feels like coming up with. It's the other way around: The composer has to come up with music that fits the film that the filmmakers want to make. So if LucasFilm had wanted an opening crawl with the traditional SW theme, Desplat would have had to deliver that music.

As far as I know, there's still no official word on whether or not Rogue One will have a crawl.

Nah, not me. I say save the opening crawls for the saga films, rather than diluting their effect by using them in every film.

11-4D and D'an like this.
  5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    one thing that George Lucas always said these movies are like silent movies, without the Great John Williams music these films don't work. Desplat is a good composer but he is not on Williams level quite frankly and a good example of what I am talking about, the Harry Potter films weren't as good after the third one. the first three were really good because of John! and I did not care for The Deathly Hallows Part One And 2 scores they were bland and had none of the Williams cues. Jurassic World didn't lean heavily on just Williams's cues it had a ton of original stuff in it but it did have the memorable Williams themes, look for that to be the case with this! another thing everyone wants something akin to Saving Private Ryan, well Giacchino has done that already and in fine form,

wouldn't it be great if Giacchino put some medal of honor like themes in the score?

also has this been officially announced on star wars official website? how do we even know it is true?

6. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    oh ok, cool, thanks!

8. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Yeah, so it will be easy for Disney to lean on him with the "lighter" tone.

9. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    Those guys :
    https://twitter.com/pusherlives/status/764204326445129728
    https://twitter.com/pusherlives/status/765405833286995968

Film composers rarely do trailers, and most of the time they aren't involved in the film until the last four months or less.

Gabricjen and emanswfan like this.
  10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Well, now that we know what to expect from the amazing trailer for Rogue One, let's see what magic Michael Giacchino can do with the film's soundtrack... And with him being a regular Disney collaborator, things will be easier for Giacchino this way!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

12. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    He didn't sound too optimistic. I'm hoping that Gia's score for Rogue One will be so bad that he'll never work on another Star Wars movie again.
    Great concert BTW.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    So, you want him to do a bad job, so he won't work on anymore Star Wars films, because he'd do a bad job.

14. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm not a fan of Giacchino's pseudo-Williams music, even in its best incarnations, so I'd rather have him working on projects better suited to his talents and have the Star Wars films scored by other composers (James Newton Howard, John Powell, Howard Shore, Alexandre Desplat, and John Debney are the first that come to mind).

15. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I loved Giacchino's Star Trek '09 soundtrack. Significantly better than the TFA Soundtrack IMO.

16. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Meh. ST '09 has a memorable main theme (at least the first few notes of it) but the rest is pretty bland.

17. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm trying to figure out why anyone would say this. That's loony.

18. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm not a fan of Giacchino's pseudo-Williams music, even in its best incarnations, so I'd rather have him working on projects better suited to his talents and have the Star Wars films scored by other composers (James Newton Howard, John Powell, Howard Shore, Alexandre Desplat, and John Debney are the first that come to mind).

19. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I like his Star Trek scores especially Beyond.

20. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Beyond features a great new theme (heard most prominently in "Night on Yorktown"), though it's inexplicably ditched afterwards for even more renditions of the already-overused '09 Trek theme.

21. emanswfan

emanswfan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 2, 2016
    Thinking it over more, the one thing I'd worry about is the soundtrack being only skin-deep. TFA's score struggles to initally noticed, but upon enough listenings it shows itself to be possibly one of the best SW scores given the maturity and refinement that Williams has to offer in the small and nuanced moments. AD's scores excelled at this whole "subtly aspect", but lacking at times in the obvious. MG's scores on the other hand seem to sound great, but they sometimes break down if you listen to them too much. He can get the style, but he doesn't always offer the substance.

TFA lacked the style that previous SW scores had but carried an abundance of substance. While I'd like both balanced, I'd rather a more subtle, but deep score than something that just sounds cool and fits but doesn't do much more.

Hopefully, I'm proven wrong. I enjoy most MG's Tommorowland score.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I always want people who would otherwise do well to fail so that I don't have to worry about them accidentally failing.

23. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    The way I see it, it would be one bad score preventing multiple mediocre ones. That being said, that scenario is very unlikely as Giacchino's has mastered the art of rapidly churning out safe white-bread Williams impressions.

24. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Anyone who has heard MG's music for Lost, Fringe, Up or Ratatouille wouldn't be foolish enough to call Giacchino "John Williams light." Giacchino has his own style. He doesn't need to widen his range. Others need to widen their knowledge of his music.

cwustudent likes this.
  25. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I never said that all Giacchino scores are "John Williams light", just his large-scale sci-fi fantasy ones. The scores you mentioned are good but they're not indicative of how Giacchino will likely approach Rogue One.