main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Music of The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I came here to say that this triplet:

1. A Friend
    2. Open The Door
    3. Come With Me
    Is one of the most beautiful and haunting mini compilations I have ever heard.

Perhaps one of the most iconic sequences in all of Star Wars, the last 15 minutes of the Season 2 finale in "The Mandalorian", begins with "A Friend" a dark and mysterious theme which is accompanied by a dark and mysterious figure with a green lightsaber. This piece of music stands like a giant at a little less than 4 minutes, is one of the most cinematic compositions in Ludwig Goransson's contributions to Star Wars, and sets the tone perfectly for the short sequence where Luke Skywalker, arguably the Greatest Jedi that ever lived, cuts his way through soulless machines. And the music encapsulates that, as it also has a technocratic vibe fused with the cinematic approach.

Then the elevator door opens and "Open The Door" accompanies the most heartfelt moment in both seasons of the Mandalorian. Luke's reveal, followed by Grogu's "cuter than my high school love" reluctance to let go of Din Djarin, accompanied by R2's quirky entrance, Luke's somber affection and Din's tears. A truly magnificent piece, a calm strength, and like the previous track, as cinematic as Goransson has ever been. Proving that not only can he bring something fresh and new to the Star Wars musical plane, but that he can replace John Williams without any doubt if needed. The last minute of "Open The Door" is for me an emotional crescento and the zenith of the entire show so far, as it accompanies Grogu looking back at Din Djarin as he's walking away on Luke's shoulder. At 4:15 is when I break, when I become one with the music, and one with The Force. What a musical genius.

And as if this wasn't enough, the end credits appear and "Come With Me" starts playing and what better way to wipe those virtual tears from our face. For the first time after 16 chapters, we have the privilege of listening to a classical symphonic version of the so familiar and beloved Mandalorian theme by now. Music truly from a different galaxy. I will say this and I might receive some reactions about it, but there is absolutely not a single musical note in "Come With Me" that Mozart and Beethoven wouldn't have loved to have composed. It takes less than 3 minutes for the perfect epilogue to a season and a soundtrack that have been absolutely fantastic.

With this trilogy of songs, for me Ludwig Goransson raised the stakes to a seemingly insurmountable level and in the future we will be watching his career with great interest. I should be working right now, but I decided to spend 10 minutes to type all of that because why not.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  2. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    The first time was in Chapter 7, though that one's more brass-focused. "Come With Me" uses, I think, the same arrangement as the first ninety seconds of "Ahsoka Lives" (another beautiful piece).

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  3. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Yes, also one of my favorites.... it reminds me of the sense of catharsis you get at the Ewok village after the Empire is destroyed in ROTJ.
    But this time it was the town being saved by Ahsoka and Din Djarin. "The Jedi" is a self contained movie in a way. I love it.

Bor Mullet and Zoe Con like this.
  4. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    True, though I think there's also a bittersweet quality to that arrangement of the theme that I think @Bor Mullet alluded to, and that fits the end of The Rescue as well.

Speaking of The Jedi, I was just listening to this track again, and I think it may have a sneaky "Ahsoka screech", in the background at about 7:12 (I set this a little before that point).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    DarthFixxxer likes this.
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    They actually did an orchestrated version in the outro of episode 2, and i think it's the most rousing version.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    My current favourite...

Bor Mullet and DarthFixxxer like this.
  7. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    In my opinion, Ludwig Goransson truly outdid himself with the soundtrack this second season. His ability to take the Mandalorian theme (motif) and play with it in terms of key and instrumentation is truly outstanding. He was really able to articulate the change in Mando's character by doing this. I particularly liked the way he played with it in The Believer which I found very striking. Similarly, loved the ending music of the Ahsoka episode, and how they played with the instrumentation, almost chamber music like. Of course, Open the Door was excellent. The musical build up as Grogu left with Luke while Din looked on was emotional and beautiful. I probably have more to say about other parts of the soundtrack, but these are the ones that resonated with me. Would not be surprised if Goransson will walk away with another Emmy (at least, I hope so.)

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    My favorite track so far. Boba's theme is fire.

9. Darth Derringer

Darth Derringer Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 9, 1999
    This awesome post is worth a few dozens 'likes' if I could give them.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Boba Fett’s theme in Mando is one of the most badass pieces of music ever put on screen.

Zoe Con and TCF-1138 like this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Been listening to the season 2 soundtrack a lot in the past few days. It's so, so good. Göransson managed to make the music for season 2 even better than the one for season 1, and that's a hell of an achievement.
    A Friend and Open the Door are some of my favorite pieces of SW music.

Bor Mullet, Grey Matter and Zoe Con like this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's been more than a month, so excuse the double post.
    I'm currently rewatching Mando, and watched The Heiress yesterday. I'd never thought too much about the soundtrack for that particular episode that much, but last night it really stood out to me as, frankly, astonishingly good.

(the title being a silly Swenglish pun makes me giggle :p )

But it also felt kind of familiar. After having listened to it, I think I know why. It sounds very inspired by the Super Metroid soundtrack. Have a listen to the first four or five minutes of this:

The sound is very similar IMO. Not as in Göransson ripped it off or anything, but I can't help but think that he played Super Metroid as a kid and was inspired by it.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ship O Hoj, Mandalorians is amazing.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Sure is. Second best track of the season, after Capture the Flag.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nope, banned.

Er, demoted. Wait we can't do that? Okay fish slap!
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    wrong page!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  17. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Ludwig didn't have to go THAT hard. But he did that. He did that for us.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have had that recommended to me several times clicked it every time

20. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Haven't seen much discussion about this, maybe because its at the end of the episode, but Rick Famuyiwa very intentionally closed out episode 23 with the same credits track as Episode 7. We get the final shot of Paz Vizsla post mortem that calls back to the final shot of Kulill after his death in Season 1, with the irony of Kulill being a small person making a big impact and Paz was a very large person but also going out with a large impact. And considering the previous use was at the start of the series before the events of the past couple of years (pick your poison, ie the pandemic) , it kind of hits the emotions harder to hear it reprised. Not to mention this was also the penultimate episode to its respective season, as was Episode 7.

Music is great.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  21. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020

Loved the music in the last scene. Reminds me of a lot of music in SWTOR.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There's probably a kajillion covers of the Mando theme, but IMO this one is really interesting and good.