main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Music of The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Nov 12, 2019.

1. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    There are two things going on here, one being that there's probably now been enough "non saga" onscreen content which has departed in minor ways from all-Williams-all-the-time that, as with many other factors, the SW feel has finally become pliable enough to have this kind of score without many objections. The second is that this show is just so damned good at what it does that it's particularly well-suited to be the vehicle of that kind of change. I just now realized, having seen the episode twice and thought about it plenty: *someone used the Force and "that theme" didn't play not only did I not miss it, I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE IT*. And now that I have, I realize I'm totally ready for this show to have 0% JW content. It'll always have its place but it doesn't need to be everywhere, and will be more effective when it is used if it's not beaten into the ground. And meanwhile we have the awesomeness of this score.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. I think the worst thing they could do to John Williams’ music is to wear it out and overuse it until it becomes stale.

Favreau, I think, instinctively understood that this show needed something new in the score department.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    11-4D likes this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Awoo awooawooawooawooo...

Playing in the the car on Spotify.
    It gets under your skin.

4. fizzbin

fizzbin Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    Having played one, I would say it's a Tenor Recorder, which is about two feet long.

Siphonophore, Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think new is fine. But I want new to also be good, and I don't think Goransson's music is good at all.

6. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I love the theme song, can't get it out of my head. Sounds like an old western combined with a 70s action show.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Three episodes in, it's growing on me.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    A couple seconds into the first episode, I was sold.

TheYodaPagoda, kevmp and Siphonophore like this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I’m going to be a little upset if we go an entire series without referencing other Star Wars music.

10. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    IMO, John William's music has been overused for four decades. I still love JW's scores when watching the movies he wrote them for, but outside that, please no... The more you transplant it to other stuff, the greater risk of these works becoming mentally associated with something I despise.

I loved the way TCW showed great restrain and thoughtfulness in the use of JW themes, despaired when Rebels went back to hard-core John Williams cut and paste in the early days of Disney's reign, and am delighted that the pendulum has swung back the other way.

I'm not yet hooked on many individual pieces in Mandalorian (and probably won't unless the BR/DVD's come out - I simply refuse to get too emotionally invested in something that's tied to a streaming service) but the main theme has already taken a place on my mental shelf.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    11-4D likes this.
  11. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Have to say, the music so far is the one thing that's not working for me in this show. I get they're trying to go for that spaghetti western/Morricone style, but I don't think they're succeeding at all.

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Chapter 3 has the first song that I dislike (sort of). The first half of Mando Rescue is really disjointed and is just generally unpleasant in my ears. The second half slaps though.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  13. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm the exact opposite as this is the first episode where I liked all of the beats.

14. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    I think the whole thing is a blast, and the music is a welcome change. I've listened to the soundtrack on Spotify in between multiple viewings. The reason this series works so well is because of the shared universe, yet the soundtrack makes it unique.

Bor Mullet and Siphonophore like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think they’re succeeding wildly, and beyond even my highest expectations. The show wouldn’t work nearly as well, I think, without this type of “western in space” musical landscape. It just fits all the environments, situations and characters so well.

16. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    This one from The Clone Wars movie sounds like it has the feel.

17. KevytVene

KevytVene Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2019
    I listened to the soundtrack before I saw the show and I agree. Those cues felt more heroic and epic. Like a very important personal passage for the main character, not just a transport theme. But I really like the soundtrack overall. The sound has this raw frontier person thing going, which really fits with the Mandalorian culture(even though I don't really know much about the Manda-Lore).

Even though I understand that it might not be everyones cup of tea, I am really happy that they went sort of in the opposite of John Williams beautiful sweeping sounds for something more dirty and exotic.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Sarge likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He's a musician. I have photographic proof.

[​IMG]

19. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I'm loving the soundtrack. Best song I think is the Back for Beskar. So epic.

And proud a fellow Nordic person wrote that epicness. :)

20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Chapter 4 reminded me a bit of the score to Unforgiven.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Chapter 4 had the weakest score by far, but IMO, Görannsson is one of the best new additions to Star Wars. He’s a gem.

22. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Thought of this immediately when I heard this melody. Sigh. Bad memories.

Also I might be going crazy but I think I'm hearing some of the same intervals in the Title theme and the main theme for the saga. There has to be a little nod of some sort in there, the previous title themes for Star Wars show all had them, and they were generally overt.
    To give an example, the sixth note in the title melody to the ninth note sounds an awful lot like the first three of the saga theme.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  23. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I was really surprised when this scene happens, we didn't hear The Force theme:
    When Baby Yoda lifts the Mudhorn with The Force...I was so surprised we didn't hear any of this familiar music.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I loved the music that played when Yodaling lifted the Mudhorn. It had a strangeness to it that fit the Mando’s feelings in that moment. This show stands on its own musically and narratively, which I like a lot. No need to bring in Skywalker saga baggage with the Force theme.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Got a vibe from the start of the music during this scene that felt reminiscent of the Walker theme from ESB:

It's not a one-to-one match, and I'm not music expert, but if 'feels' the same to me. Kiner also used that same motif more noticeably in Rebels.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.