main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO the Musician's Lounge

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by KOB, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tovel_Cond

Tovel_Cond Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    No advertising please!

2. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    huh? I don't get it...

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Nothing, no worries!

4. Tovel_Cond

Jan 25, 2005
    I got edited by "the man" (or woman). I did something wrong and got my hand cut off.
    Just kidding Dajaun [face_beatup].

5. Tovel_Cond

Jan 25, 2005
    This is the week music history...

1964, Four lads from Liverpool known as The Beatles make their live American TV debut on The Ed Sullivan Show, reaching the eyes and ears of over 70 million viewers, the largest television audience ever recorded at the time ... the show receives over 50,000 requests for tickets...

1967, working on a tip, British police raid a party at Redlands, the English estate of Keith Richards, searching for illegal drugs ... police find amphetamine pills in singer Mick Jagger's coat and charge him with possession ... Richards is charged with allowing his home to be used for drug-taking, and a third guest is charged with heroin possession ... Richards spends one night in jail, Jagger gets two ... at trial four months later, both Stones are found guilty and given stiff sentences ... the London Times gets behind the two rockers, questioning the severity of the sentences in a series of editorials ... due to the media pressure, Richard's conviction is quashed on appeal, and Jagger's prison sentence is reduced to a conditional discharge ... Aretha Franklin records her hit single "Respect" at New York's Atlantic Studios ... written by Otis Redding, the record will sell over a million copies and top the Billboard Hot 100 chart for two weeks on its way to becoming both an American classic and Aretha's biggest hit...

1972, former Beatle Paul McCartney's new band Wings, featuring his wife Linda and former Moody Blues singer Denny Laine, among others, plays its first concert at Nottingham University in the UK ... upon arriving in Singapore to kick off their first Pacific tour, the members of Led Zeppelin are denied entry into the country on account of their long hair ... the hairstyles are viewed as a threat to the conservative goverment's campaign to reduce the influence of Western culture on its citizens ... the band is not permitted to exit the plane, and is forced to return to London immediately ... the tour begins later in the week in Perth, Australia...

1975, Cher's eponymous TV show debuts a year after her divorce from Sonny Bono ... the premiere episode guest stars Elton John, Bette Midler, and comedian Flip Wilson ... Cher's exposed navel generates much press, as this is a first for American television ... the show will last only one season...

1981, Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd's eighth LP, becomes the longest-charting album ever at 402 consecutive weeks in the Top 200 Albums chart ... the album will stay on the charts for another 189 weeks, for a total of nearly 11 consecutive years in the Top 200 ... rumor has it that at one point one Capitol Records plant presses nothing but DSOTM discs ... the album will enjoy a resurgence years later, when someone with too much time on his hands realizes that when the CD is synced to The Wizard of Oz, there are a number of musical and lyrical coincidences ... the band denies that the album and film are connected in any way whatsoever, and since VCRs and CD players had yet to become readily available when the album was recorded in 1973, it appears to be no more than coincidence...

1982, the 300-pound marble slab that marks the grave of former Lynyrd Skynyrd singer Ronnie Van Zant is stolen in Orange Park, Florida ... it is recovered by police two weeks later in a dried-up river bed nearby...

1986, in an odd pop-culture pairing, Culture Club singer Boy George guest stars on an episode of the popular TV show The A-Team, which stars Mr. T, among others ... in the episode, Boy is mistakenly booked as country singer Cowboy George at one of the toughest dance halls in the West ... Culture Club performs...

1992, Vince Neil is fired as Motley Crue's lead singer after recording sessions for a new album turn ugly ... he is replaced by John Corabi, formerly of The Scream ... the resulting album, Motley Crue, goes on to be a commercial disappointment for the band ... Neil will reunite with the Crue in 1997...

1997, U2 announces its upcoming Popmart Tour from where else? K-Mart, of course ... The band's press conference, held in the lingerie depa

6. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    Ah....

7. Darthtrader

Darthtrader Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2001
    Too much information.

8. JediUruviel

JediUruviel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    uh... wha? *tries to compensate*

9. Tovel_Cond

Jan 25, 2005
    Once again, musically historical facts that happened in this week...

1893, Andres Segovia, the man who put modern classical guitar on the map, is born in Linares, Spain...

1904, Puccini's opera Madama Butterfly opens in Milan...

1958, the first Flying V is shipped from Gibson's factory in Kalamazoo...

1963, The Beatles form Northern Music Publishing which eventually will fall into the hands of Michael Jackson...

1968, Detroit, Michigan, observes Aretha Franklin Day...

1968, Pink Floyd cofounder Syd Barrett succumbs to mental illness and is replaced on guitar by the estimable David Gilmour...

1969, Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash hit the studio together in Nashville to record "Girl from the North Country"...

1969, the film version of Terry Southern's sex-comedy novel Candy with Ringo Starr in a prominent role premieres ... it marks Ringo's debut in a non-musical film...

1972, Pink Floyd premieres the Dark Side of the Moon live in London during a four-day gig a full year prior to the album's release...

1974, after 10 years of matrimonial bondage, Cher officially separates from Sonny...

1976, Rich Stevens, former lead singer for Tower of Power, is arrested for murder in a triple-slaying the police believe to be related to a drug deal ... he and an accomplice will eventually be convicted of murder and manslaughter...

1976, upon being given a "Woman of the Year" award by Harvard University's Hasty Pudding theatrical society, Bette Midler quips, "This award characterizes what the American male wants in a woman: brains, talent, and gorgeous t*ts"...

1978, Sex Pistol bassist Sid Vicious and girlfriend Nancy Spungen are arrested at the Chelsea Hotel for drug possession ... it is a prelude to murder and death by overdose...

1980, soon after reaching stardom, Bon Scott of AC/DC bites it in the back of a friend's car after a long night of very heavy drinking ... in a classic rock 'n' roll spin-crash-and-burn, the 33-year-old singer passes out and dies by choking on his own vomit...

1981, in one of the most absurd events in the history of music, George Harrison is ruled to be liable for "subconscious plagiarism" in a civil case regarding his song "My Sweet Lord" and the Chiffons' "He's So Fine" ... the judge orders that $587,000 be paid to ABKCO Music...

1984, federal authorities take Jerry Lee Lewis into custody when he surrenders himself to answer charges of tax evasion ... Lewis will later be acquitted of the charges...

1987, Sly Stone goes down for letting illicit substances take him higher ... two outstanding warrants on drug charges land him in the pokey in LA ... by the end of the year he'll be doing hard time on cocaine charges...

1988, a 12-year-old Motley Crue fan in Florida sets his legs on fire while emulating a stunt seen in the group's "Live Wire" video ... Motley Crue issues a statement saying the stunt should not be tried at home...

1990, Ike Turner is given a four-year prison sentence for commerce in cocaine...

1990, Aerosmith appear as themselves on SNL's "Wayne's World" ... they play the "Wayne's World" theme...

1995, Motley Crue's Tommy Lee, who married Heather Locklear in 1986, gets way luckier than any man should and marries bikini-clad Pamela Anderson on a beach in Cancun...

1996, Snoop Dogg and a bodyguard are acquitted of first-degree murder in the death of Phillip Woldermarian, who was shot by Dogg's bodyguard ... Dogg claimed Woldermarian was a stalker and the shooting was in self defense ... the jury deadlocks on voluntary manslaughter, a mistrial is declared, and The Dogg goes free...

1997, a judge in New York throws out a lawsuit blaming Motley Crue for a fan's hearing loss ... the judge points out that the fan knew it was going to be loud before he went to the concert...

1997, to maintain their market share among the unbathed crowd, Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream follows up their Cherry Garcia with a new flavor--Phish Food...

1998, Danber Nobacon of Chumbawamba leaps onto the table of Deputy Prime Minister of the U.K. John Prescott at the B

10. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    I have to read that in tiny sections.....

11. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    Holy Crap!! Its already been 2 years since the fire at the Great White gig?!?!?! :eek:

12. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    Jon Brant of Cheap Trick (1954)

Was that the cat that replaced Tom Peterson around the time of the One on One album?

13. Tovel_Cond

Jan 25, 2005
    That is exactly correct KOB.

14. Tovel_Cond

Jan 25, 2005
    Question -

What is in your cd player right now?

I have a 5 disc changer, so...

"Lochloosa" by Mofro
    "Ziggy Stardust" by David Bowie
    "On and On" by Jack Johnson
    "American Idiot" by Green Day
    "Morrison Hotel" by The Doors

15. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    I don't use the CD player. I dropped all my favorite CDs to my hard drive. No I have a 53 hour windows media playlist that plays randomly (but seems to like Sublime, Pantera, Metallica, No Doubt, and Evanescence!) I also have 18 hours wirth of Harry Connick, Jr. ;)

16. Tovel_Cond

Jan 25, 2005
    Yeah, my set-up is the same. I was actually referring to my disc changer in my car. That's really the only cd player I have. The rest of the time while I'm at home I use my computer.

17. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    I only listen to the radio in the van.

18. Tovel_Cond

Jan 25, 2005
    Yeah, I've given up on alot of radio stations. Nothing they play really impress me anymore. Except for stations like KSHE or KHITS. Stations that play GOOD rock music.

19. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    I flip between Y98, the River, Red, and the Point.

(Oh, and my computer REALLY likes to play Lords of Acid, Veruca Salt, Slipknot, and Black Label Society....)

20. Tovel_Cond

Jan 25, 2005
    Don't get me wrong. I pop through those stations too. But The Point is the one that really disenchanted me. I do ike to listen to Red. Something about that kind of music, generally puts me in a good mood. Well, most of it.

21. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    I usually just listen to CDs at work, although I have a few MP3s on the puter too. The CDs that get the most rotation, Def leppard (any), 3 Doors Down (any), Van Halen - Best of Both Worlds, Metallica - And Justice For All, Very best of Kiss & Alive IV. My MP3 collection is a little more diverse, Angelsound (pretty cool band out of Australia), Brian May/EVH's Starfleet Project, Kylie Minogue, etc...

22. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    ...And Justice For All is a good album (Come on, it has One, their best song!) but I like the Black Album the best.

23. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    OK. So my buddy wanted me to teach him how to play Wonderful Tonight (Eric Clapton) as a suprise for his girlfriend. So I made this. Think it's a good tutorial?

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/KOB/Wonderfultonightcourse.jpg]

24. Tovel_Cond

Jan 25, 2005
    Hey KOB that's pretty good. Very professional looking.

25. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    Looks good to me. For some reason, I didn't learn the chords, just the main riff/bended part.

And I will say, this is the song that made me want to pick up the guitar. Saw Clapton on an SNL prime-time special from the early 80's on TV & I had to learn how to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.