main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

PT The Mystery of Sifo Dyas… Canonized…

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mikeximus, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even if the Databank's statements are sometimes unreliable, one of the newest novels (Force Collector) shows Sifo-Dyas actually stating that he'd ordered the clone army, in his distress call when the Pykes are attacking his ship. The protagonist of the novel finds the recording:

"This is Master Sifo-Dyas, en-route to the desert moon that orbits Oba Diah. I'm with ... with - Silman, flying emergency survival capsule number 775519, and our long-range transmitter has been knocked out. We're under attack by the Pykes, and I'm preparing to jettison this project in hopes that it will be found, and-"

[static]

"And the truth is, we won't make it out of this alive. If that's the case, so be it. But there are things that mustn't be lost. This is what it's come to - and I want ... | want everyone to understand that I've done my best. Some may disagree with my methods, but these are desperate times and someone, somewhere should know: as you are aware, I have seen a vision of the future that I feel warrants an army. You've disagreed with me, but I felt I had no choice. Therefore I have ordered one: a clone army from the Kaminoans. Something must be done, and I have made that decision. It may haunt me, and-"

[static]

"or then again, maybe I won't have to live with that decision very long at all."

"Hurry - we can't take another hit like that!"

"Come find me!"

2. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2014
    I think we're going to find out Darth Sidious in the guise of Sifo-Dyas met with the Kaminoas at least once after Sifo-Dyas was killed to finalize plans for the Clone Army and complete the order.

Sifo-Dyas started the process of ordering the army but it in the end Darth Sidous appearing as Sifo-Dyas that completed it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Doompup likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not completely out of the question, true. I like the implication that Sifo-Dyas knows that what he's done is morally wrong and that he thinks it may haunt him.

4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Yet at the same time, Sifo-Dias has so much faith in his visions he also feels it is for the greater good. They'll thank him someday.

devilinthedetails and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I find myself imagining his voice as a little like Sybok's in ST V: The Final Frontier, with the "these are desperate times" bit.

PCCViking likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Force Ghost star 9

Nov 20, 2012
    WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME

PCCViking likes this.
  7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Don't say it three times in a row or Dr. McCoy's father dies again.

PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.
  8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2019
    I thought that detail was one of the best parts of the Force Collector novel. It also reminded me of the Sifo-Dyas we meet in the Dooku:Jedi Lost audiobook. There is something poignant about Sifo-Dyas and his visions. His visions seem to torment him much like a Cassandra from Greek mythology. Works well with the PT theme of there being something tragic about prophecies and the struggle to prevent them from coming true as experienced by Anakin.

9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Not sure the policy for info no the Sequel Trilogy so I'll make this a spoiler post. This comes from a new teaser trailer released this afternoon for The Rise of Skywalker.

In a new trailer released a week before The Rise of Skywalker arrives in theaters we hear the voice of Darth Sidious become the voice of Snoke and then the voice of Darth Vader. Is this our first evidence that Darth Sidous could pose as other individuals? That he could appear as Sifo-Dyas? I'm not saying Sifo-Dyas had no part in ordering the army. But that Darth Sidoius posing as Sifo-Dyas completed the order after Sifo-Dyas died.

10. YT-2400

YT-2400 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    A few confusing questions:

Sifo-Dyas, of his own free will, placed an order for a clone army which Sidious later hijacked/impersonated for his own purposes?

So Sidious, in no way, manipulated Sifo-Dyas into placing this order? Only his visions were the source of Sifo-Dyas' action here?

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's always the "Sidious can plant false visions" possibility - but yes, Sifo-Dyas chose to act on his visions by placing the order.

PCCViking likes this.
  12. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2016
    For what it's worth, in the Darth Plagueis novel, Senator Palpatine (and Dooku, if I recall?) had some discussions with Sifo-Dyas about his visions, and mentioned the idea of clone armies and Kamino to him. So, he had his own visions, but it was Palpatine who nudged him towards acting on them and in a specific way.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Iron_lord and PCCViking like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    To be fair, the Darth Plagueis novel is Legends. Still, it's interesting that both Legends and newcanon have Sifo-Dyas actually place the order.

PCCViking likes this.
  14. YT-2400

YT-2400 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    This I can see for otherwise, it seems to be too large of a coincidence. Considering the eventual role the GAR would play in his plans and later being the military foundation of his Empire, I find it slightly incredulous that Palpatine, perceived as a master manipulator, would leave it to mere chance (crossing fingers as it were) that Sifo-Dyas would feel compelled to act in that manner in response to any Force visions.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Force Ghost star 9

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread is a very cool read

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Host, PT Interview Thread/Most Improved RYLer/SPAM star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    Took them all long time but thanks to force collector only a few pieces are missing in this 18 year old puzzle

Iron_lord likes this.