main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Mythology Draft II: coming soon to a pantheon near you (Matchups underway)

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Interested in the Divine?

Fascinated by the mythologies and stories handed down through the ages?

Then this is the draft for you. Or, if you're just interested in another exciting but new draft with changes that make even Loki cry, this is also the game for you.

For not only can you fight with mere mortals in this draft, but you can harness the power of the gods to lead your team to victory. May you fight bravely, boldly and, most importantly, creatively - just like the stories of old.

For those of you familiar with the Draft Game, feel free to skim read the rest of this post before signing up, but make sure you read the Alignment section. For those of you unfamiliar, we?ll provide a quick synopsis of how to participate and all that jazz.

The original Mythology Draft thread can be found here, for those interested.

The Participants

There are three types of participants in this draft: The Commissioner, The Judges, and the GMs.

The Commish: That would be none other than myself. It?s my job to make sure the draft runs smoothly. I take care of the draft list, randomize the draft order, call the matches, and keep track of the winners. I also have an open PM box for questions, complaints, and bad jokes anytime of the day.

The Judges: There are three of these. It?s their job to decide who wins the matches. They will definitely listen to arguments from GMs, and (sometimes) provide breakdowns on their reactions to picks during the drafting process.

The GMs: There will be eight of these. It?s their job to assemble a good team. It?s also their job to send in numbers (which we?ll talk about in a bit), and to ?pimp? their team in the eyes of the judges.

Assembling a Team

The bulk of the job of a GM, and the bulk of this game, is assembling the teams. This is done, mainly, through a drafting process. Once sign-ups are finished, a draft order will be published, alongside two character lists. When it is a GM?s turn to pick, they should post in this thread the character they wish to select for their team. Be warned, however, that you only have 24-hours to select a character, so it is often a good idea to send a PM to the commish with a selection or two that you would like to make if your turn to pick is coming up soon and you might not be on. If your time expires, you will be ?bumped? to the end of the round. If you are bumped twice during the process, you can be removed from the game.

The draft order is reversed at the end of each round. So, if it begins this way:

Team A
    Team B
    Team C
    Team D

Then the next round, it will go

Team D
    Team C
    Team B
    Team A

And, we do that for eleven rounds.

The other ways to fill rosters for teams is through free agency and trades. Free agency occurs only in periods specified by the commish. During these times, you post in the thread a player you are dropping from your team, and a player you are dropping from the available list. To complete a trade, two GMs must agree to the deal, and then both must PM the commish for approval. If the trade is approved, the Commish will post so in the thread. Trades must be x-for-x in terms of draft picks and characters (i.e. no 3-for-2 trades or anything of the like are allowed).

Now, I mentioned that there are two character lists. There is the Regular List, and the Deity List. The regular list is composed of mortal characters who have more than likely been sung and danced about. You can pick eight characters from this list as you want. The deity list is composed of gods and such things that can be considered as gods. You must pick three characters from this list, anytime you want.

Competing

Once the draft is complete, the teams will be divided into two conferences. The teams in these conferences will play round robin, with the top teams advancing to the playoffs. The playoffs then continue in single-elimination until a champion is crowned.

Play between teams consists of three phases. In the first phase, the commish will announce the ma

2. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Question: Can we choose heroes from popular mythology such as Paul Muad'dib or Feanor, and mix it up with more classical characters such as Perseus? I'm asking because it might be stretching the rules a bit, but they are technically in a mythology.

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    There is a list already made for which characters may be chosen. You can find the latest version here.

I might sign up, but it's going to be a pretty busy month as it is.

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I'm super busy this month as well and didn't even realise this was coming around again so soon, but how could I ever say no?

1. Tyi-Maet Nefer

5. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    1. Tyi-Maet Nefer
    2. JediKnight20043

YAY! Finally. Hopefully we can finish this one. ;) Guess I better start research again.

6. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    No, you're limited to picking from just what's on the draft list, which doesn't include them.

7. InsaneIsta

InsaneIsta Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2008
    1. Tyi-Maet Nefer
    2. JediKnight20043
    3. InsaneIsta

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    We finished the last one :p EF or Hammurabi won.

9. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I really wish I had time for this, but I'm leaving in January. :(

Evil.

10. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Wait, what?? Oh yeah I was knocked out by a completely insane decision about Achilles. And that a really awesome archer would magically know to aim for his heel, or would somehow be imcompetant enough to hit him in the heal. I still rage at that decision.

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    EF did. My bad about the closure of the last one.

12. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    1. Tyi-Maet Nefer
    2. JediKnight20043
    3. InsaneIsta
    4. Trimaj

13. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    This was a blast last time I did it and I have been itching to get back into the ring so, yeah I think I will.

1. Tyi-Maet Nefer
    2. JediKnight20043
    3. InsaneIsta
    4. Trimaj
    7. Chim

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Matt! Chim! The man! The legend!

15. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I can judge/backup judge. This draft is awesome.

16. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Are we even going to have enough people to play this draft?

17. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    If you guys get down to needing 1 person I can go ahead and throw myself in the hat. I'll draft and put in a team every week, but... That'll probably be about it. My mythology is not what it used to be, and it never used to be good enough for this.

18. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Are we even going to have enough people to play this draft?

Nah, threads been open 3 days with no interest. Let's shut it down.

19. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
  20. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I'll see if I can dig up a few more players for this.

21. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I can take a team if you really need me too, I'll just be out of contact for thirteen weeks starting in January.

Evil.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    If you're still short a judge, I can do that. I stink at GMing, though :p

23. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    1. Tyi-Maet Nefer
    2. JediKnight20043
    3. InsaneIsta
    4. Trimaj
    5.EmpireForever
    7. Chim

I'll draft a team and send in numbers, but don't expect much in participation beyond that.

24. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    you'll probably do better'n me EF, even if you don't do much else.:p

25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Oh, I don't doubt that I'll win. I'm just letting you all know that I won't be around much to appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.