main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    My parents met at work. They were married for 48 years, until my dad passed away. So, I have to agree that it's no big deal.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, here's the thing... more or less I agree with you. But, there's a long history of men in senior position using that position to coerce junior women into relationships -- so I get why there would be rules on the subject, especially in the NBA where... have you seen the NBA?

Having said that, this appears to be an entirely consensual relationship (even given power dynamics), and like a full 25% of my small startup-like division in the early 2000s married from within (including our HR director! Which I helped facilitate!) so I understand how office romances happen.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Seems bad to put this on the same level (functionally) with Sarver’s behavior. Yes, he’s going to sell the team, but bans of similar length for radically different things is a problem. None of what Sarver said and did was consensual.

DarthIntegral and CT-867-5309 like this.
  4. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm sorry to see that Robert Williams is expected to miss 8-12 weeks with more knee problems.

Btw if I were Jaylen Brown I'd be hella pissed about the KD trade offers. I usually think that sort of reaction is unjustified, but they eliminated KD and got to the Finals, and his team tried to trade him for the guy they swept. It seems like quite the betrayal, and once brought up, cannot be taken back. I wouldn't even want to be on the team after that. Why go all out for a team that doesn't appreciate you? They tried to trade him after reaching the Finals at 25 years old. There's only one more step he can take, and you have to wonder if they'd be willing to dump him even if he helps them win it all. You have to wonder if there's even anything he can do to earn their loyalty.

Anyway, we'll see if there are any consequences to that trade offer. Brown seems like a mature guy, so probably not.

6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    ESPN NBA rankings (by more than 200 journalists, analysts, etc):

1. Giannis (deservingly)
    2. Jokic (also deservingly)
    3. Luka (he's great, but that's a tad too high IMO, he's not there yet)
    4. Embiid (LOL)
    5. Steph
    6. LeBron
    7. Jayson Tatum
    8. Kevin Durant
    9. Ja Morant
    10. Devin Booker (LOL)

This list was obviously compiled taking into consideration how dominant all these players are, and to what success they lead their teams, as opposed to statistics alone, which don't mean that much at the end of the day. I think this list right here will make me bet $20 on the Warriors winning the title again. This is the start of another year of disrespect for Steph, and I hope they disrespect him all year long. Actions >>> Words and Opinions. I don't really have major issues with the rest of the list. For various reasons (age, injury, dominance) it feels fair for the most part. Well except from Embiid, who is very overrated, and Booker who in a really good team would probably score 15-20 points per game. He can be the alpha in the Suns, but not in many other teams.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Embiid is the only one I have a problem with, I'd drop him down to eighth. They have LeBron and KD lower partly due to injuries, but Embiid has been injured pretty much his entire career. A few others that might be in the top ten are coming off injuries. I'm also surprised Steph isn't higher, but they cited age and injuries, and he actually had the worst regular season he's had in a very long time.

What you said about Booker is just really dumb. You talk about disrespect for Steph, and then something as stupid as that about Booker. I think he's overrated in general (though I understand why they put him at 10 compared to some of those beneath him; ie, age and injuries), but Booker's team had the best record in the NBA by a significant margin, and they finished 2nd in the West the year before and went to the Finals. So they've been a good team. He also hasn't scored less than 22 ppg since his rookie year, and has been at least 24.9 five straight years, so saying he's a 15-20 guy is just really dumb.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Embiid has been in the top 3 for MVP multiple seasons in a row so they probably had that in consideration.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Look at the Suns record since Booker started playing in the NBA without Chris Paul, and then with him. Then you will see why Booker is not such an important factor. What's really dumb and stupid, is thinking that the Suns finished 1st and 2nd in the West because of Booker, and not because they have a solid team all around and Chris Paul who elevated them there.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Look up their record when the team was bad, the coaches were bad, and before a HOF player got there? They're better with the HOF point guard? You don't say. They started turning it around when Monty got there, in the bubble, before CP3 got there.

He's "not such an important factor" despite leading the team in scoring by almost 10 ppg. He's not such an important factor despite carrying the team past the Lakers while CP3 was literally incapable of shooting.

Look, I don't like Booker, I think he's overrated, and you have me defending him. That means your hot take has gone too far.

I'd put Dame ahead of him, but ESPN didn't because he's coming off injury. I think the rest and getting that hernia taken care of that he's dealt with for years will have him better than ever.

I def would like to put Kawhi over him, but he's coming off major injury and we don't really know if he'll be the same player.

Jimmy Butler, but age, injury, and wear and tear.

So I see why he ended up at 10. There are doubts about the guys beneath him.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Eh, not such a hot take really though. Chris Paul at number 10 would have made more sense.
    You keep going back to PPG, but basketball is as you clearly know about a lot more than scoring.
    You mean a Lakers team that has been a joke for 2 years now? Not a great accomplishment really :p
    I am not saying Devin Booker is not a great player, not everything has to be black and white.
    I am only saying I don't think he will be in the top 10 of players that will make a difference this year.
    I might be wrong, but we will see in about 7-8 months I guess.

12. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    1. Giannis
    2. Jokic
    3. Luka
    4. Embiid
    5. Steph
    6. LeBron
    7. Jayson Tatum
    8. Kevin Durant
    9. Ja Morant
    10. Devin Booker

Hmm…. There’s only 2 real problems I have with the list.

1. I don’t get the Tatum over KD ranking, especially given what happened in the finals. Objectively, he’s not better than KD and even when you account for team success, a lot of that was due to having Jaylen Brown as his wingman.

2. Jokic is such a weird subject for me. I think it’s because… he’s a 2 time MVP now and, if we’re going to be consistent, the same treatment that Giannis got, Jokic needs to get: The Nuggets need to win or get to the finals this year. Last year he was without Murray and MPJ and I hope that this year they don’t get hurt because we really need to see if he can elevate this team to where a 2 time MVP should be able to.

Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.
  13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I think predicament, age and injuries contributed to that. Let's face it, things are not looking good for KD right now when it comes to how the season will go.
    I sort of agree. But Jokic is such a phenomenal player, with or without long playoff runs. He looked so helpless with the Nuggets in the 2022 playoffs.
    I think his team only needs a couple of missing pieces, which they will have this year, that's why he is projected this high on the list.

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    let me see here, counting the rings on the guys ahead of Steph...

15. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Lonzo is going to have another surgery to address the pain he's feeling in his knee, despite doctors being unable identify the source. Based on my non-existent medical expertise, I wonder if the pain is psychosomatic.

[​IMG]

^Literally the only reason for this post.

KnightWriter, dp4m and DarthIntegral like this.
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i didn't stay up to watch the game last night. i had to work today, and i'm not that much of a diehard, but it was nice to wake up to the highlights this morning. great to see wiseman make some plays.

18. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I am still surprised that Blake didn't have an impact at all with the Nets, because he's not even that old yet.

Perhaps he will have an impact with the Celtics, but after the Udoka drama, I don't think this team is mentally ready for great things this season.

19. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    The game actually started at 6AM here, but my gym doesn't get the local cable channel and League Pass doesn't give you access to the team/s in your area. But that's okay. Looking forward to the Grizzlies tomorrow at 8PM, just because it's a good timeslot, not because I expect to see much.

tom likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hornets preseason opener this weekend and Miles Bridges is likely going to prison.

Looks like a great start to the season.

21. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Barring some major injury Curry and Warriors win again and he inches closer to the A list with MJ,Magic,Kobe,Duncan, truly impressive it will be.

22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I think it's too early to say this, you never know how a season will go and how good the other teams will appear to be.
    However..... it seems that they believe in Wiseman so much, that they were willing to let 3 key players to last year's triumph go.
    And honestly, if they have someone who can be a major threat in the paint, this will open up so many spaces for Steph, Klay and Wiggins.
    It will be fascinating to see how better they will be than last year, which I presume they will be.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hornets started out well but are now getting creamed despite starting their best players.

24. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Ben Simmons is playing. All the Nets starters are losing to the no Embiiid/Harden 76ers.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Maxey is running the point like this game matters. His work ethic is going to take him far.