main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ja is being suspended eight games by the NBA, but it's retroactive to the five games he's already missed.

This whole thing has been ridiculously overblown. He flashed a gun for half a second. I'm anti-gun and I don't think it was a big deal or deserving of any punishment.

Chromide likes this.
  2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I for one am actually happy that Memphis or the NBA (not really sure which) acted and did something before a worse situation occurred. There was more than one incident with Ja and if not for the safety and Ja and those around him, at very least it shows the NBA doesn't tolerate this type of behavior. I can only hope he learns from this and has a great season next year, or even post season this year. I am not writing him off for this one bad taste in my mouth. I'll be eagerly seeing if he can turn things around.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Only if you take the incident as an isolated incident.

once you combine it with everything else Ja Morant related, the suspension - and the overall reaction - is absolutely warranted. Starting with the report of his associates confronting - and putting a laser on - members of the Pacers traveling party back in January.

Conduct detrimental to the league is absolutely the right charge here, and eight games feels about right.

4. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    8 games is the minimum he should have gotten. Between flashing and pointing guns here and there, and spending dozens of thousands of dollars at strip clubs when he is supposed to be under investigation, his behavior is the complete opposite of what the NBA should promote. Dude thinks he is a thug or a gang member or something. Several people have called him out for a variety of reasons, and they are right.

5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Aaaand another masterpiece from Steph Curry, with 50 points one day after his birthday, which of course was and forever will be far more important than anyone named Hanson, let alone a slightly better than average ex-child star.

Would probably have been 60 if they had called half of the times the Clippers fouled him, but that's away games for you.

6. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Spending thousands of dollars at strip clubs is not in any way notable. There's probably at least a hundred NBA players who do that. Thinking one is a thug or gang member is a thought crime, one many NBA players are guilty of.

Two game suspension is pretty standard for an on court fight.

Stephen Jackson fired a gun outside a strip club, pled guilty to a felony, and got a seven game suspension. Darren Collison got an eight game suspension after pleading guilty to domestic battery against his wife. Malik Monk tested positive for cocaine more than once and ended up getting eight games.

Suspension isn't always the best way to deal with someone acting out. Sometimes it does more harm than good.

The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  7. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Happy belated to Steph, who isn't even the most impressive NBA player to come out of the hospital he was born in.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    if you factor in his lack of size and athleticism and defiance of expectations it might be closer than you'd admit.

9. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Similar to "impressive" I guess it depends how you read "defiance of expectations"-- particularly as Steph left the hospital the son of an NBA player and another left with only a mother on food stamps

Not to make this a "Wardell's parents had a real good marriage" post lol

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i meant more one being dubbed the chosen one when he was in high school while the other could only get a scholarship to a small unknowm school. one would have beem the first pick of the draft in any year while the other was drafted after johnny flynn and that sort of thing. but you knew that.

but i think it is just as impressive that lebron actually lived up to his incredible expectations and i've enjoyed his career very much. it's a shame to me that some people apparently couldn't enjoy steph's, but oh well.

11. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I think Steph's pretty amazing and he doesn't even play for a team I like.

As for Ja, going to a strip club is not a problem, flashing guns and being in fights is a problem. Not to sound like a broken record, but let's hope this rehab works. He has a bright future and I always pull for those smaller market teams when the Knicks aren't in it.

12. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Lebron’s career will always be the highest standard for me, personally.

Being dubbed the chosen one in high school and the expectation upon entering the league to be, at a minimum, at top 5 player all time and to actually do it.

I feel like most people would rather be rated average than have the expectation that, and this was a literally quote when Lebron was drafted: “most people will see your career as a disappointment if you’re not at least a hall of famer.”

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    @anakinfansince1983

According to Woj, MJ is in talks to sell his majority stake in the team, which would put someone else in charge.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    To a minority owner and a Hawks minority owner.

I don’t know how I feel about this. After getting burned by the Panthers sale, I just hope the new owners actually know something about basketball and are not just hedge fund managers.

Runjedirun likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

@A Chorus of Disapproval 14-years later, and I still remember that; some St. Patrick’s Day memories just stick out. :p

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That shot was a Street Fighter fireball.

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

The Tunes jinx in full effect.

*cue that theme*...

[​IMG].

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  19. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Vinsanity and the revenge of Charles Oakley won us that series. Same year as Vince on the day of Game 7 against AI and Philadelphia went to his College Graduation at North Carolina. Fun year for the Raps

Point Given likes this.
  20. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Just checking in to let everyone know my suns suck at playing basketball. Bye

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Damn, Willis Reed passed away today.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  22. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    My dad was actually at that game at the Garden when Willis Reed came out from the clubhouse during Game 7 of the 1970 Championship when the crowd lost themselves.

24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Injuries make me sad. Paul George is injured, and I just wrote them off. Zion is still out. Kyrie and Luka are banged up. KAT has missed 50 games with a calf injury. LeBron is out, and I wrote them off the moment he went down. KD is out, and I wrote them off. Even if these guys come back for the playoffs, they won't be 100% or have any rhythm/chemistry built up for playoff basketball.

25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    The Paul George injury looked bad. It is crazy how beat up the West is in general. On the other hand, when I woke up this morning and saw OKC in 7th place I was pleasantly surprised.